Have owned Exocet for 4 years; going back to compound....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

After analyzing your post Falcon, it dawned on me that your not a man, but a women. You mentioned that the " recoil, jarring and shot sensation of shooting a Xbow soon became quite unappealing to me." Your buddies that are giving you a hard time, is actually your boyfriend, brothers or both. You also said that it wasn't challenging to hunt game with.

Lady!! I've been hunting hard for more than 30 years and to say that hunting with a Xbow isn't challenging, then that tells me you have almost zero experience in the outdoors. I suggest you try stalking a trophy Whitetail deer sometime, I have a hard time with a high powered rifle.

I also suggest you get off your high horse, and start thinking for yourself, sounds to me that what other people say, has a big influence on your life. Don't be pushed around.

The reason I chose a Xbow, is because I've always had a soft spot for these weapons. Their cool and fun to shoot, not to mention accurate, which is the most important thing when hunting. You Don't want any wounded animals lost.

One more note I want to make. With less and less hunters going afield, we don't need any controversy on which weapon is the best. Just last night on the news here in Saskatchewan, the Game Dept. announced a massive cull program for Whitetail Deer and Elk, in three major hot spots, here in the province. They want 1 deer per square mile. If something isn't done NOW this disease will spread thourghout Canada and the U.S. in the next 20 years, possibly wiping out all deer. We need all the hunters we can get, to thin out these numbers.

So if you think that hunting with Xbows makes you feel bad or guilty, then start using a compound, and don't come on this forum for the first time bad mouthing Xbows.

Post's like yours only bonds us closer together and I thank you for that.

Happy Hunting

Grey Owl
johnbuck9

exocet 4 years

Post by johnbuck9 »

Falcon, I was very lucky at a young age of 4 too have a Dad, and his frens who actually built longbows and selfbows back in the 40,s and I couldint wait too go too hos house with my dad too smell that aroma of cedar, he made all his own jigs ,and the works even his own cresting tool, I created my first arrow at the ripe old age of 4, and fell in love with archery, at age 7 Frank biult me a liitle custom howard Hill style longbow and Ive been off too the races ever since I have shot stick bow up till 4 years ago I also shot compunds, I have been archery hunting for a period of 44 years and have taken over 100 whitetails Iam not patting my back here Iam only trying too mahe a statement that a year 1/2 ago I bought a excalibur, and now have two, my buddies shoot crossbows stickbows, and compounds, in the last year I grew a great respect for all on this forum, I read a great but do not give back much input, but Iam going too begin, I have shot deer from some crazy postions with my stick bows , that shots would have never been taken with a xbow, I learned a great deal last year as it was my first hunting with a crossbow, I had several deer I came up on or they on me I couldint take the shot because of the Xbow makeup as if I had a stick bow or compond MEAT, but there is a graet deal mor too hunting then meat, look at this you take a new Mathews Q@ or LX or waht have you drwa back smooth lock in with 70 too 75% letoff have a wrist release on and you finger on a TRIGGER.
lOOKING THRU A PEEPSIGHT AT FIBER OPTICPINS.Thats a head scratcher
plus you are right along side atree release a its a double lunger, the exbow, wow a double jaw breaker, its not all that easy , like a lot of fellas mentioned its getting in close regardless of your choice of bow,
Do I miss stick bow hunting your Hell yes, but Iam a archery hunter, and cannot shoot stick or compounds anymore, I wish no one no harm bad bad health but one day maybe one of your archery hunting buddies may have too resort too an xbow, and then think about it are they really ARCHERY HUNTING BUDDIES, Archer need too unit regardless of what bow is of your liking, or were you may be from, canada, usa, nothr,south east or west, My frend I had the good fortune too shoot with some grreat folks over the years from all over, and for the most part the greater percentage of them were great people, but there are always a few out there that are ;legends in their own mind, and feel they have something too prove,archery is not at all about proving a thing its enjoying , a sport too the fullest you can, so go and enjoy youself, no offense, you buddies may need too be re-educated, have a great season and shoot straight!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I have to be honest here. I love all weapons...and really enjoy my crossbow. However, I will always bring along my vert compound and shoot it as well. It does take more practice to shoot a bow and therefore becomes a little more "entertaining" for target shooting.

I must admit I sometimes get kind of bored shooting my Excalibur. It always hits exactly where I aim! No fuss! No tuning! Kind of like my .30-06 Ruger. Once a year I take it out to check zero...bam, bam, bam...three clustered bull's eyes! Ok put it away until hunting season. :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Falcon, Falcon, Falcon.....

I feel sorry for you. Not being able to stand your ground. If your buddies don't like you hunting with a crossbow hunt by yourself.

If the recoil is bothering you you are really not concentrating on your target. Then again maybe I like recoil. Give me a .45-70 stuffed with some thumpers and I'll shoot all day!

One more thing. When you bought your crossbow did it come with years of knowledge and understanding of the game you hunted? And when you put it in your hands did the crossbow lead you to those animals, make you a silent stalker, a master of the forest? I know mine did not.

Sorry one additional comment. Look in your dictionary and tell me what the definition of archery is and then compare it to the definition of a crossbow. Let me know what you found.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've been shooting bows for close to 50 years now. Started with a kid's longbow "kit" (bow, string, side quiver, and PO cedar arrows). After a few years I got fairly good with it. I also have shot a few recurves over the years. I've killed about every game animal here in Ohio, and a few that weren't even listed (birds & such :lol: ). A few years ago I started having too much shoulder pain to shoot well (bone spurs) so I tried a compound and just didn't like the thing. I tried a compound crossbow and that was even worse. Then I found Excalibur and was at peace with my archery hunting again. No cables, pulleys, and other complications.
If my shoulder was still healthy I'd still be hunting with a longbow, but it isn't and the Excalibur is my chosen bow today. I still own a compound, I can shoot it fairly well, but it just isn't my choice in a bow.
If you want to shoot a REAL bow, shoot a stick & string! If you get too old & feeble to shoot it (like me) just mount it on a stock and shoot it horizontally. It's still a REAL bow - just a stick & string - you just hold it with the aid of a shoulder stock........
but then I never killed any game with my BOW, it was always the arrow that inflicted the damage, and since the longbow, recurve, compound, or crossbow is simply an arrow launcher I guess any of them could be called archery!
Hunt with whichever you enjoy most! Just hunt & support (ALL) other legal hunter's rights to do the same!
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

I've been getting alot of feedback from friend too. I've completely removed the limbs and string. I installed powder filled tiny rocket launchers at the end of my laser II's. I'm currently up to 783 fps. Its a blast. I cant wait to catch 3 or 4 deer standing side by side. Wow what a challenge. Good luck. 8)
BUCKSHOT

In the Know

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Sorry you feel the way you do!
You can enjoy more than one challenge, or sport in your life! Can't you!
Obviously you shot a crossbow for four years, for a reason or two, there must be some things you can be proud to have achieved! If not, your a slow learner!
At least you came forward, and signed up!
Your not totally anonymous!
I hope the enjoyment of hunting, comes to you, by whichever means you choose!
Happy Hunting!
Enjoy the Harvest!
johnbuck9

exocet 4 years

Post by johnbuck9 »

Wabi,

Very well said, I agree with you 110%, keep shotimg and have a ball, Johnbuck
johnbuck9

pineywoodsbucks

Post by johnbuck9 »

Pineyriverbucks, You need too try those new nitro lazers carbons Iam getting 1200fps, the recoil is a killer, but easy too track with that glowing roostertail they let behind, Keep it fun and enjoythe sport of archery , and most of all all archers most unite,regardless how you launch your arrow, shootstraight,, Johnbuck

Post by Guest »

And don't forget the Predator Camo which is shown in the movie with Schwarzenegger, it works very nice... :wink:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

johnbuck9 I am useing nitro lazer2's carbons and getting 2400fps :shock: problem is they are scorching the rail a deep blue :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
shifty

Post by shifty »

I have shot a compound for 15 years. I will be buying my first crossbow this year.I have shot some nice bears and some deer with that old compound. I think the crossbow is one of the most efficient archery weapons out there and dont we owe that to the animals we hunt. A CROSSBOW IS A REAL BOW contrary to what your friends think.We are all bow hunters wether it be crossbow, recurve or compound. If a compound is your choice to hunt game with thats great but that doesnt mean i have to shot one too to be at your level. I will buy my exomag and I am sure my friends will still let me hunt with them and not care for there are true friends. just my two cents.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Falcon,

Forgive us if some folks on here do not believe your story.

It does seem quite odd that you have shot and hunted with an Excalibur for 4 years and you have only just NOW found this site just to tell us you are going back to a "real bow".

You know,several folks on here are looking for a used crossbow. It sounds like you didn't abuse ot even use your's too much. What do you want for it? Is it a mag tip ? What accessories do you have with it?

What do you think the shipping would be from your home state (which is?) to Indiana?

I think you thought you might get a whizing match going with your statements, but these guys are hunters first and crossbowers second. We really DONT care what you or anyone else hunts with. We are all just hunting to please ONE person - ourselves. If a compound makes you happy, by all means go for it. Maybe even step up to a stick bow. Down in Alabama they toss spears at deer. Wouldn't that be a blast? Basically whatever turns YOUR crank.

ONLY please don't tell anyone else what they should shoot and what is and what isn't a REAL BOW.

When you bag that whopper this year, come back and share it with us. We enjoy good huntuig stories no matter what hunting tool a person is using.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Well said Woody, and all the guys on the forum. It's sure nice to see everyone on one side. There's lots of very experienced hunter's here, and are hard to bluff.

I'm waiting for a response from Falcon.

Grey Owl

Post by Guest »

Ahh you guys ,

Don't take "Richards" hook too deeply. :wink: Perhaps he's retreated back under the nearest bridge. :lol: