Spitfire XXX in hand. Testing today.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bubba

Re: Spitfire XXX in hand. Testing today.

Post by bubba »

They are a very good broad head. Never shot the new XXX 2" cut, but hunted with the old spit fires a number of years, loved them. And would still use them if i ran out of my swhackers.. They main reason i switched was the swhacker out preforms it on the quarter away shot. Which happens to be my favorite.. Shoot behind those ribs and it just travels further into the vitals.. Pass through's from back to front. Have yet to track a hit deer pass forty yards. In fact most time's if they make it out of sight, i can listen and hear them drop, or make that death grunt. Still N.A.P. makes a great head.. My 2nd favorite mechanical. Just my two nickles..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My take on most of that was that they advertise "field point accuracy" but in reality they won't hit with your field points so he is justifying that. To me that is a "who cares". I shoot fixed blades all the time and they do have more drag and usually hit just a tad low - so I adjust and go hunting. Shooting a BH every once in awhile into a Rhinehart won't hurt it at all - but I still keep one separate arrow with a tester broadhead just for making sure my zero is still good. :D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Viperloe

Post by Viperloe »

flinthead wrote:Cool! Thanks for the report... I have shot four or five deer with a Spitfire. What I love about them is that they leave blood, and quite a bit, right where you shoot the animal and all the way to final rest. Bad thing is, they STINK on any sort of bone hit... stink so bad that you may be very lucky to find your critter. Stay off the shoulder with these babies! :shock: :shock:

I beg to differ on the bone statement. I shoot 100gr spitfire edge. I made a very bad shot on a big doe last year. Shot way high. Went through the top portion of the spine and out the opposite shoulder blade. Complete pass through. One blade broke off in the ground on the other side. Deer ran 40 yards. Blood everywhere. Very impressed with this blade
Normous

Post by Normous »

The NAP XXX Crossbow blades are .029 thick. The NAP FOC 170gr. 3" two blade's are .039 thick for comparison. FYI.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

flinthead wrote:... Bad thing is, they STINK on any sort of bone hit... stink so bad that you may be very lucky to find your critter.
Dunno about that one myself...

Here's a buck I took a couple years back now. Just over 50 yards ranged, steep uphill so held for 40 yards. Arrow cut both carotid arteries, and blew Right Through the shoulder joint on the opposite side. Recovery was 22 yards. Big sections of bone left with the arrow when it exited...

Wish they made those XXX in 125 grain...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."