Mecanical heads opening up upon firing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Mecanical heads opening up upon firing

Post by grouse »

All of the procedures to ensure that mechanicals work properly that are described above, seem like fun! I think I'll just continue to screw some slick tricks onto my arrows and go hunting instead.
axiom
350 SE
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I have been using spitfires for most of my 15 years of shooting crossbow and have not had any issue of premature opening. I have shot them from a tenpoint stealth-x2, a vortex and most recently my 355. I did try the rage at one time with the vortex and those I did have an issue with at times
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I never have had a slicktrick hit exactly where my field pts hit. Then i really gotstid tired of turnin the balance washer so they would spin right
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

I also never had any issues with N.P.A. spit fires and Swhackers. My two nickles...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wabi

Post by wabi »

vixenmaster wrote:I never have had a slicktrick hit exactly where my field pts hit. Then i really gotstid tired of turnin the balance washer so they would spin right
I had the same experience when I tried them. Then I had some arrows fletched with an 8º helical (4" vanes) and they did group with field points.Even when the were not grouping with field points they were close, and some of the tightest groups I ever shot with fixed blades.

But..........
I do not use them because I now prefer something I can re-sharpen. Switching to G5 CS Montecs this year. :roll:
wabi
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

tomcat wrote:... Spitfires used a dimpled friction shim to keep blades closed instead of rubber band. The friction was pretty good on brand new blades and shims, but the problem was that once it was opened/closed a couple times the force to do so diminished slightly.
Had a similar experience.
We test fired 125 grain Spitfires into a broadhead target specifically to determine at what point they would no longer stay closed upon firing. This was with my Matrix 380.

First two shots were Fine. Third - one blade deployed upon firing. Fourth - ALL blades deployed upon firing.

Me remedy was to only use unfired Spitfires for hunting. Like your suggestions. Will drag a handful of the older used ones out and give a few of those thoughts a try...

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."