broadheads that will group with field points?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: broadheads that will group with field points?

Post by Boo »

Try Slick Trick standards and a set of Danny Miller Arra pullers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:i probably could just adjust my scope for the slick tricks, but i really hate shooting broadheads because i have a 3d deer target (for broadheads) and the 355 buries the arrow and creases my fletchings and the foam melts to the arrow and they are a bear to pull out of the target. with field points i just shoot my morrel yellow jacket target....much more pleasurable.
Put some pledge furniture polish on the arrows they will remove with super ease
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I was going to recommend the Rage Crossbow but I see you are looking for a fixed head so that won't help you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Dennis,
The arrow and ST that was going low, have you tried a different down vane in the rail to see if orientating the shaft differently will change the POI?

Also when you screwed the ST onto the shaft, did you spin it to see if it spins true without any wobble?

Sometimes all it takes is to remove the steel washer and flip it and screw the head back on.

This is what I would do:

1. Confirm Zero at 40 yards with a field point.
2. Screw on a ST onto that same arrow that you used for the 40 yard mark.
3. Spin test it to make sure it is true without any wobble or vibration... ST's spin like a dream when they are on straight.
4. If there is ANY wobble or vibration, take the steel washer and flip it on the ferrule and screw it back on and spin check it again.
5. Shoot it at 40 yards and see where it goes. If it is not where you think it should be, shoot it again with a different vane down.. As it could be the spine of the shaft.

I've had good results with ST's, Ramcats and Magnus Black Hornets.. These all hit to the same POI as my field points out to 50 yards.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

Hi, yes i tried with the cock vane in all 3 positions, i have an apple arrow spinner to check broadhead alignment and they do not wobble, i also squared the ends. i am thinking it is just the extra drag from the blades making them hit low. i have been using silicone spray on my arrows, but its still a nightmare to pull them out of my 3D target. i guess i am just going to stick with the mechanical heads, i have had good luck with them over the years with my vertical bows, i bought a couple packs of slick trick mags with hopes i could use them, but i gotta do what i gotta do to get the accuracy i need for hunting. its not really a big deal, i was just hoping i could use a fixed head with my x-bow. has anyone shot the hypodermics? do the shock collars hold up to the crossbows power (not open prematurely) ? i have only shot the hypo practice head and it shoots right with my field points, so far mechanicals appear to be my only option, i can live with that.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ditch the 3D target n getstid a Rinehart 18-1 n shoot yer BH's.I shoot fixed n Mech out of Captain Morgan. They don't shoot at the same poa nor poi, but do stay all wid a 3" group out at 40 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:Hi, yes i tried with the cock vane in all 3 positions, i have an apple arrow spinner to check broadhead alignment and they do not wobble, i also squared the ends. i am thinking it is just the extra drag from the blades making them hit low. i have been using silicone spray on my arrows, but its still a nightmare to pull them out of my 3D target. i guess i am just going to stick with the mechanical heads, i have had good luck with them over the years with my vertical bows, i bought a couple packs of slick trick mags with hopes i could use them, but i gotta do what i gotta do to get the accuracy i need for hunting. its not really a big deal, i was just hoping i could use a fixed head with my x-bow. has anyone shot the hypodermics? do the shock collars hold up to the crossbows power (not open prematurely) ? i have only shot the hypo practice head and it shoots right with my field points, so far mechanicals appear to be my only option, i can live with that.
I'm not a rage fan my opinion I feel there are much better quality heads out there at a cheaper price. The biggest flaw I feel rage has is the quality of the blades yes they make replacement blades. But I've got one grim reaper in my quiver now that's passed through three does an two of them busted through the rib cage.. Also have I used rage yes I have do they work yes they do do fly good yep they fly great but the grims fly better that's my thoughts. Also take a look at the nap slingblades have a cousin who's currently using them from the package to his hunting arrows from his Barnett ghost 410 he was a half inch high an split three knocks at 40 yards with them.
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

i like to shoot a steel broadhead, weather it be fixed or mechanical, thats why i bought the slick tricks, i also have a couple rocket steelhead XL's i can use and the hypo's are also steel. i have really bent up some aluminum ferrules on deer even with my much slower vertical bows, steel broadheads are a confidence thing for me. i have one regular rocket steelhead that i have put thru probably 10 deer and it still spins true. i read that the newer rage have less carbon in the blades and are stamped rather than laser cut, so they are suppose to bend rather than break. we will see, but to me accuracy is #1 priority.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

One more thing I've found to be a huge factor is weather or not you're using extreme helical, as with the Bolt fletcher, or offset vanes. I'm not familiar with the arrows you're using but I've noticed much tighter and consistent groups using fixed broadheads with the extreme helical.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kamski1151

Post by kamski1151 »

Magnus Stingers fly exactly like Field points for me.
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

paulaboutform wrote:One more thing I've found to be a huge factor is weather or not you're using extreme helical, as with the Bolt fletcher, or offset vanes. I'm not familiar with the arrows you're using but I've noticed much tighter and consistent groups using fixed broadheads with the extreme helical.

Paul
that may be it, i am just using as much right offset as i can get and still keep the base of the vane on the arrow.
Red_label-jr

Post by Red_label-jr »

I've got some old Thunderbolt 125's that work pretty well
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:One more thing I've found to be a huge factor is weather or not you're using extreme helical, as with the Bolt fletcher, or offset vanes. I'm not familiar with the arrows you're using but I've noticed much tighter and consistent groups using fixed broadheads with the extreme helical.

Paul
that may be it, i am just using as much right offset as i can get and still keep the base of the vane on the arrow.
If you have a chance, pick up an Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt. No other fletching jig, not even my tried and true Bitz, can compare to the helical that simple little bolt fletcher applies. I've found a HUGE difference shooting fixed heads side by side from identical arrows fletched with offset vs helical. The difference growing exponentially the further you shoot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Drew

Post by Drew »

the slick trick mags shoot about 5" low at 40 yards compared to my field points
I always chuckle when I read about wanting broadheads and fp's to hit to the same point of aim. :roll: Why should they? Aerodynamically they have different profiles and different coefficients of drag, if you run the distance out far enough and they will not hit the same poi. And it doesn't mean the broadhead is bad if it doesn't hit the same poi.

For a 5" difference in vertical, I would adjust my sights to the ST and hold under when I'm shooting my fp's. Or shoot heavier fp's to offset the difference. 3Rivers Archery has fp's up to 300gr.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

Drew wrote:
I always chuckle when I read about wanting broadheads and fp's to hit to the same point of aim. :roll:
well an awful lot of people claim they do.