Finally answers for the Matrix 350 LE Mossy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Irondude

Re: Finally answers for the Matrix 350 LE Mossy

Post by Irondude »

That one I can't answer, the whys and why for are I guess privileged info and not to be shared with the consumer maybe, but physically looking at this 350 it is a mirror image to the 405 basically, even I believe the online adverts for the 350 are actually pics of a 405 as i found out in another thread so who knows? ? I sure don't :)
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Simmons Volt 600 Range Finder
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

If there is any question on limb width I have no prob taking a tape out and measuring lol
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I would hazard a guess that these were 405s that had their mainframes machined down to 355 specs but they call it a 350 Limited Edition, so as not confuse the two. I would also assume your limbs are the same as any standard 405 matrix limb. If you want to post pictures I could do it for you, just PM me. I'm interested to see about this new model.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

Racking up points... i pm'd u
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

Another thought came to mind, say for instance that I know that this model is limited and will not return but with its under rated fps spec it may be possible it may be brought back as a Matrix 365 or something of simular designation, hard to see excal going thru all the retooling and production costs just to put out a small number of units, makes no dollar sense if the plan wasn't to continue with it in some new form..
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its the name game, you have so many 405 mainframes that need to be used! When the last one is used in this model its game over. No more 405 mainframes. This isn't a new method, its been done several times before
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

10-4 ..all you guys with 405 problems send the rail to danny and mill it down = NO more problems..i know I'm shooting one of the nicest 355s made with no problems :D
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

I did a bit of reading off site, I guess at one point the 405 was recalled due to accidental firing without the trigger being pulled. That could pose a nasty situation. So it would make sense in the claim of the prob stemming in the mainframe length and draw length being too tight maybe and causing the accidental mis fire? It would make sense to shorten up the draw to ileviate all that over tension possibly? There is a 2 inch reduction in draw with the 350 still using the 405 limbs. Just a thought
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

Below is a cut and paste of the recall notice i found on the 405

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE ABOUT EXCALIBUR MATRIX 405 CROSSBOW
RECALL
It has come to our attention that the potential exists for accidental discharge to occur in some of our
Matrix 405 crossbows sold after January 1, 2014.  This appears to involve the sear contacts wearing
prematurely due to a differential in hardness between the two sear contact areas within the trigger
mechanism.  As a result, the crossbow may fire when an arrow/bolt is in place, but without the trigger
being depressed.   
At Excalibur, we have the utmost concern for the safety of our customers, and we are taking immediate
action to address this situation by recalling all Matrix 405 crossbows purchased after January 1, 2014
and repairing them at our expense.   
If you purchased a Matrix 405 crossbow after January 1, 2014, please do the following:
1) Stop using your Matrix 405 crossbow immediately.
2) If you can, return it to the dealer from whom you purchased it.
3) If this is not convenient, we ask that you ship it back to us at our expense.
4) If you are shipping the crossbow to us, please call our customer service department at 800‐463‐1817
to address the shipping cost and obtain a return authorization number to aid in tracking the process.
5) U.S. customers please ship your crossbow to either one of our US warranty locations; Woody’s
Sporting Goods, 35 Werner St., Wernersville, PA 19565, or Horizontal Archery, 37432 Fifth Ave., Sardis,
OH, 43946.
6) Canadian customers please ship your crossbow to Excalibur Crossbow, 2335 Shirley Drive, Kitchener,
Ontario, N2B 3X4.   
7) To ship your crossbow, please remove the front limb unit using the two riser mount bolts under the
front of the mainframe, remove the scope and rings using the nuts which clamp the rings to the scope
mount, and remove the quiver mount.  The stock unit can then be securely packaged and shipped to the
appropriate address for inspection and repair.   
If you have any questions about this process, please contact our customer service department at 800‐
463‐1817.
Once we have received your crossbow, we will repair and return it to you as quickly as possible, also at
our expense.
We at Excalibur sincerely regret the inconvenience caused by this situation, and we will strive to quickly
and effectively correct the issue so that you can continue to enjoy your Matrix 405 crossbow.  Thank you
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

Now I couldn't tell u if that has anything to do with draw tension or mainframe length but I def would think that over tension on the trigger mech design could cause it to fail. Might have been more cost effective to mill the stocks down for the remaining units to be manufactured.
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

I'd really hate to think that my new "limited edition" 350 is nothing more than the bastard child of an I'll fated 405 which consists of mix matched re machined leftover parts from a couple of stock room parts bins lol ( no insult intended to the 405 owners lol)
In any event excal is still a great bow maker and has the warranty to back it up so I'm not too worried about it, I will enjoy it the same.
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

I'm sure you are correct cleansober thanks
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Irondude wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been reading and hope I didn't get my wires crossed but isn't there up to a 2 inch difference between limb lengths between models? I'm not sure myself, i've been absorbing so much over the last few days lol
Like all Excaliburs, past and present, the main factor which determines velocity is the length of the "mainframe". That said, the limbs of all Matrix models, although the same length, being handmade, do vary in deflection, which accounts for the slight variation in velocity between models with the same powerstroke.

Regarding the 405 Mega, the powerstroke is 13.87" giving it a draw weight of 290 lbs., whereas the 355 has a 12.25" powerstroke giving it 240 lbs of draw weight.

If what you say about the 350 is true and it has in fact been derived by shortening and remachining existing 405 mainframes/rails, I would assume they either must have a slightly shorter powerstroke than the existing 355's or have limbs which have slightly more deflection (i.e. weaker). That would explain both the 5fps decrease in velocity as well as the lower price point of the 350 limit edition.

Furthermore, that makes one think, if in fact Excalibur did use altered 405 mega rails, they must have come to the conclusion that the present day 405's are not reliable enough to continue their manufacture. Of course only Excalibur brass know that for sure. For us consumers it's only food for thought and we can only speculate.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Irondude

Post by Irondude »

Well Comfybear you def gave me something to think about and educated me on things I didn't know. Thank you for that.
All the above info in regards to the origin of the 350 has been handed to me by the retail dealer and some of my own research which I am passing along. Some of it combined makes sense and some does not so I would say you are very correct by saying only the excal brass knows and it ain't for us common folk to concern ourselves with. But like anything else with lack of any info for the 350 by excal leads us to speculate and explore ourselves. Would be nice to hear it from excal but I won't hold my breath. Unless there is some other explanation, I lean towards what info is avail to me at this point in time until otherwise corrected and that being the 350 is derived from the 405 due to issues the 405 was having. Can we expect the 405 discontinued/redesigned? Who knows, will the 350 come back in 2016? Who knows lol
like the ol saying goes... if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.....it must be a duck.
Matrix 350 LE
Mossy Oak Full Camo
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Shadow Zone
Sling

Grizzly 305
Guardian Anti Dry Fire
Reds String Suppressors
Air Brakes
Cheek Piece
Dead Zone
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

This is a no brainer,,, I made this decision to build this very bow a month ago,,, it took some time to get the parts together but yes, it is nothing more than a cut down 405....

It is a simple fact that if you use the rear riser mounting hole on the 405,,, for the front mounting hole,,, you move the riser back approximately 1 7/8" re mill the locating slot behind the hole you use to use for the rear bolt hole,,, and then drill a new hole the proper length behind the locating slot,,, and walla,,, a 1 7/8ths inch shorter 405,,, probably easy to round of to 2", maybe 1 3/4",, hmmm amaizing,,, them tricky little devils,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the 405 is still listed,,, I think this may just be a way to cleanup the week limbs they say were over cooked,,, if that's really the problem????? :roll:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!