New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Post by Doe Master »

First off . Welcome to the forum . :)
You really can not go wrong with any choice you make . I would lean towards the 335 or 355 . You said you have been shooting vertical for a while so you are past having to chase trends .
I can remember when over 300 fps was considered fast for any bow . Now these numbers are common place . A lot of deer have dropped with the slower bows with complete passthroughs . :lol:
Remember these speeds come at a price . The 380 and 405 are harder to cock when encountering previous injuries . Or simply become tiresome to practice with . Don`t get me wrong . I love my 380 for the purpose I use it for . Hunting not target shooting . I have other bows for that . :)
In the end it is your choice .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
L. E. Carroll

Re: New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Owing a Micro335 and the Matrix 355... I use my 355 as a daily shooter if I feel like shooting alot... Plenty fast and flat shooting and much easier to cock.

There is hardly ever a negative post about one... I feel mines "Bullet Proof" at this point as I have never had a limb issue nor any other type of isse as far as that goes....

Mine is set up with a custom flemish string by Excaliber Dan, a set of Danny Millers baby bumper's ( string stops ), an ADF scope mount, a cheek rest , Leupold crossbones scope, and a camo "munch mount". Yes lots of $... but I feel it was well spent ! I do shoot Black Eagle Zombie Slayer's ( from Excaliber Dan ) with 93 gn brass inserts and 125 gn G5 Montec's, as well as "Ignitor" illuminated nocks. This set up brings my overall arrow weight to 451 gns. which I feel insures protection for my limbs, while being plenty fast and a deadly combination. The Illuminated nock helps in finding them after the shot. :wink:

My Micro 335 on the otherhand, is much more stressed with a 270# draw weight on it's shorter limbs.... That model, along with 380's, and ( it's looking like soon to be discontinued ) 405's all draw at considerably high draw weights with more limb stress as a result... :roll:

I do have my arrows for the Micro 335 set up exaclty the same.. but cut to 15 1/2" with a total weight of 420 gn. I do not shoot this bow nearly as much as my 355, as I'm trying to elliminate any chance of limb issues..... It mostly only sees hunting time. I will add that my Micro shoots well above advertized speed at 357 fps with a arrow weighing 353 gns. ( which I personally feel should be higher, somewhere near or above 400 gns. for reliabilty ).

Now that's just the ramblin' of a old guy and probably not worth $.02 :roll:
But if I could only own one excal. it would be my 355. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier