Somebody got a Cape Buffalo with their Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Somebody got a Cape Buffalo with their Excalibur

Post by Boo »

Call me a bully but with a bow I'd rather hunt something that doesn't fight back but more importantly something that doesn't exact revenge! All kidding aside, when I was much younger and couldn't come close to affording an African hunt, I wanted to hunt a Cape Buffalo with my FA 454 Casull.
Bill Troubridge killed an elephant with an Exomax so I'm thinking that most current Excaliburs are up to the job if you have the nads to pull the trigger. :eusa-popcorn:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:12 am
Hillcountry wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
I’ve watched ALL the YouTube African hunts with bow and rifle. To say the least, Africa is high on any hunter’s list but to be able to afford a hunt is a pipe dream for most.
Not as costly as one might think. If a person can afford a guided Elk hunt or Sheep hunt, he can dang sure afford a Plains Game trip to Africa. Botswana, Namibia and Zambia offer excellent hunts for the likes of Impala, Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and all kinds of critters in between.
Plains game hunts run anywhere from 4k to about 7K on average.
I know the “plains game” hunts are reasonable but MY “fantasy” would be for the “Big 5” or Alaska dangerous game...out of reach and luxurious to justify for me.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hillcountry wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am
AJ01 wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
I’ve watched ALL the YouTube African hunts with bow and rifle. To say the least, Africa is high on any hunter’s list but to be able to afford a hunt is a pipe dream for most.
Not as costly as one might think. If a person can afford a guided Elk hunt or Sheep hunt, he can dang sure afford a Plains Game trip to Africa. Botswana, Namibia and Zambia offer excellent hunts for the likes of Impala, Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and all kinds of critters in between.
I know the “plains game” hunts are reasonable but MY “fantasy” would be for the “Big 5” or Alaska dangerous game...out of reach and luxurious to justify for me.
Just the 18 day hunt for a good bull Elephant will run you about $45,000. Cape can be had for about $5,000. Rhino...forget it. Leopard is about $5-6k.
Okay before you have a heart attack, most of the money goes to the villagers where the Elephant was taken. Also most of the meat. It also pays "game officers" to stop poachers.

Lion hunts for a GOOD black-maned male can run up to about $35,000.

This is why most just go for Plains Game these days.

I remember as a kid going to a local sporting goods store and looking up at the shoulder mount of a Rhino. To me that was the coolest thing in the world. I never got to hunt them, but thru volunteer work at a large Zoo, one of my favorite things was to work with the White Rhino's on display. It is amazing the sheer mass of these creatures!! Truly a walking tank!!

On a side note...Desert Bighorn Sheep hunts in Mexico will run you about $45,000 for a hunt. Dall sheep run about $16-20k. Stone sheep run between $35-45K. Rocky Mountain Bighorn run about 12-15K.
A fully guided Elk hunt in Wyoming runs about 9K.

Texas ranches charge crazy numbers to hunt "Trophy Whitetail". Trophy Aoudad sheep hunts run about 5K.

Unfortunately...hunting is NOT a poor man's sport anymore. That's why millions of hunters pour onto public land every year.

It matters not how much you spend or don't spend on a hunt. What matters most are the memories you make!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Y'all be safe out there and enjoy the great Outdoors!! :D
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 am
Hillcountry wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am
AJ01 wrote:

Just the 18 day hunt for a good bull Elephant will run you about $45,000. Cape can be had for about $5,000. Rhino...forget it. Leopard is about $5-6k.
Okay before you have a heart attack, most of the money goes to the villagers where the Elephant was taken. Also most of the meat. It also pays "game officers" to stop poachers.

Lion hunts for a GOOD black-maned male can run up to about $35,000.

This is why most just go for Plains Game these days.

I remember as a kid going to a local sporting goods store and looking up at the shoulder mount of a Rhino. To me that was the coolest thing in the world. I never got to hunt them, but thru volunteer work at a large Zoo, one of my favorite things was to work with the White Rhino's on display. It is amazing the sheer mass of these creatures!! Truly a walking tank!!

On a side note...Desert Bighorn Sheep hunts in Mexico will run you about $45,000 for a hunt. Dall sheep run about $16-20k. Stone sheep run between $35-45K. Rocky Mountain Bighorn run about 12-15K.
A fully guided Elk hunt in Wyoming runs about 9K.

Texas ranches charge crazy numbers to hunt "Trophy Whitetail". Trophy Aoudad sheep hunts run about 5K.

Unfortunately...hunting is NOT a poor man's sport anymore. That's why millions of hunters pour onto public land every year.

It matters not how much you spend or don't spend on a hunt. What matters most are the memories you make!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Y'all be safe out there and enjoy the great Outdoors!! :D
AJ
. :thumbup:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360