Practice Shooting from Height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

I had to cock my 175 Exocet this past Saturday in my climber and used the same method as above. My boot in the stirrup and the cocking aid was no trouble. I was seated when I cocked the bow. I believe that I could cock it by hand, but have not tried that yet.
Riggs
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

It's not hard to cock by hand , you need to lean back as you pull. mostly forarm and shoulder usage.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

If Bill T keeps uping the speed on these bows, we won't have to compensate for arrow drop. I can hardly see the bolt in flight now on a 30yard shot they are so fast :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

bst, I have allway just put the crosshairs where I want to hit the deer and unless I nick a branch I deleiver the arrow on target.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

with the speed of the arrows I'm shooting I have not had to ajust for dropage , but I am only shooting a 15 to 20 yard max.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

I walked by a guy in a stand at my last archery hunt a couple weeks ago and saw a bunch of white feathers around. He hads taken quite a few shots at deer with a longbow he'd made. No hits. I told him, "if the warden had come by, he'd arrest ya for litterin'" :o). He later told me back at camp that he needed to do more practice from heights.
Greg
Spring

Post by Spring »

Re-cocking in a treestand is not a big deal provided as DaveHawk said you wear a safety belt, and take extra care in ensuring those #10's are well and truly in the stirrup. Silly you say?

Trust me. A couple of hours in a treestand in during a Canadian winter and your feet will get cold enough you can't really feel what you are doing. It'll only take once that the stirrup slips over the toe of your boot as you just about cock it and you'll be talking injury.... which takes me back to safety belt.

Cheers!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Spring, as you say , it's not something to foolishly do. You have to make sure your foot is firmly placed in the sturp. But if I couldn't fel my toes any longer I'd most likely be heading home. LOL
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i shoot a compund bow which shoots much slower than a crossbow, let alone an excalibur, and i can really tell the difference between shooting from the ground and shooting from a tree, the arrow flight is much flatter.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

Depending on what crossbow sometimes they do not shoot faster than a compound.
depending on which compound the same applies.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!