Why buy a deer tag?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Digger

Post by Digger »

comfy wrote
How about in the '70's, when purchasing either a deer or moose licence for $10 or $15.00 respectively, meant that a bear licence was automatically included for free, since hunters back then didn't bother going after bear much, because they were considered vermin
I think I still have some of my old hunting licences from the early '70s with the numbers on them that you had to wear on your back, they were marked for deer and bear or for moose and bear.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
bobby jost

Sacked

Post by bobby jost »

Hmmmm,

Something fishy going on here.

BJ
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I did the math in 1996, "bit the bullet," anted up and threw down $500 for a NC Lifetime Sportsman's License. Now I never have to pay another thin dime to hunt and fish in North Carolina ... mountains to ocean, fish and seafood, small game, medium game and big game.

Since that time, if the money had only gone to deer, I've only paid around $7 a deer ... not bad.

Gripe about conservation and it's attendant fees all you want, but in many places there wouldn't be any deer to hunt, nor a lot of other game, if it hadn't been for the establishment of game laws, hunting seasons, bag limits and enforcement. A purely necessary evil.

Management is another issue. Thank conservation efforts for the deer you hunt. Blame management failures for the overpopulations.

If your situation is bad, sound off loud and often to your MNR. Make noise in great numbers. Remember that agitating for any kind of political or legal change is long, hard work and someone will have to sacrifice, namely you if you want to see things changed.

Remember that if you take the law into your own hands and start thinning them out on your own, the law has no option but to view you as just another violator, and act accordingly. If it didn't, the law could never be fair in enforcement.
Grizz
bobby jost

Grizz

Post by bobby jost »

Mr. Grizz,

That was beautifully said!

I'm not sure if our political process (MNR) has implemented a 'lifetime' set fee. If it is possible, I'd consider that a done deal.
swiftfox

why buy deer tags

Post by swiftfox »

Digger I also have some of the old orange and black back patches hanging
around. do you remember the buttons with your hunting number on them?

Here's a new twist on the extra tags. I have been suggesting this for years now to MNR. Let us apply to bow hunt in an area of choice, also do not limit us hunters to one choice i.e. early or late hunt here in ontario. Allow us to apply for November /2nd hunt for muzzleloaders/and late december hunt. If we are willing to pay let us apply. If we are lucky enough to get chosen for all hunts --great. Since we know that there is a surplus of deer the MNR should be happy to take our money! I as a hunter would be happy as heck. Any one else have any thoughts on this one?
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The cost of tags isn't outragous.... I mean, we put fuel in our vehicles, buy camo everything, own multiple bows and guns... what's the big deal? :?

What deeply disturbs me about this list lately is that it claims to be a place for people to learn about bowhunting and ethics and yet some people seems to support the "attitude" against the MNR and our hunting regs. It's not perfect, but at least we can hunt! :!:

The law is the law. If that is frustrating then petition the lawmakers for change. Don't rally the forum troops in support of making exceptions to the law. That's unethical, IMHO.

Let's show newcomers and the public (they access & read this board!) that we are honorable and honest hunters who take pride in our integrety. If you don't have your integrety you have nothing!

So just break down and buy a few extra tags... and remember that your actions and attitude reflect on all hunters.
wabi

Post by wabi »

In Ohio the landowner and his family can hunt their own land without a tag. BUT - if he hunts elsewhere and buys a license & deer tag he has to use the tag on any deer he kills - even if he kills it on his own land.
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Tigerpaws question ... Why buy a deer tag ?

Simple ! ... it is the law !

Vixchix wrote :
The cost of tags isn't outragous.... I mean, we put fuel in our vehicles, buy camo everything, own multiple bows and guns... what's the big deal?

What deeply disturbs me about this list lately is that it claims to be a place for people to learn about bowhunting and ethics and yet some people seems to support the "attitude" against the MNR and our hunting regs. It's not perfect, but at least we can hunt!

The law is the law. If that is frustrating then petition the lawmakers for change. Don't rally the forum troops in support of making exceptions to the law. That's unethical, IMHO.

Let's show newcomers and the public (they access & read this board!) that we are honorable and honest hunters who take pride in our integrety. If you don't have your integrety you have nothing!

So just break down and buy a few extra tags... and remember that your actions and attitude reflect on all hunters.
Man I got to agree with that 100 % ! Especially ...

Tigerpaw wrote :
Then they wait until the deer are so over populated that extra tags are needed and we have to pay for them again to fix what we already paid them to control!!! I am done with it!! I will hunt as a responsible hunter should but there will no more bending over with a greasy ass for me .
With all that walking around they might bump into my other crop
:shock: Man ... with statements like that you are not exactly a walking posterchild for responsible / ethical hunters ! :shock:

I buy extra tags because I have to if I want to hunt legally !

I'm not happy about the speed limit and other laws sometimes , but I realize if I choose to ignore it , I will be responsible for my own actions ....

Gripe all you want ... but in my opinion this forum is not a good place to post such irresponsible statements !

Picture a young hunter logging on hear and reading crap like that ... :shock:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

I guess if the Ontario government didn't make any money off hunting fees they would cave into the anti's and hunting as we know it would soon come to an end.
Do you think the government would ever get rid of cigarettes or alcohol that are killing loads of people.

No...to much tax money to be made.

Friggs
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

In Va you can hunt the land you own without a license. But you have to follow the same rules and take the same number of deer just like if you had a license. You still have to check them in and get the # also. Also, follow the same rules for doe and buck seasons. I did this for 2 years untill I got sick of hunting the same land day in and out. So I bought my license again.

now crop damage permits are different. The land owners has to get those and then he can give them to hunters that hunt the land. But usually they are doe only and again you have to follow all hunting rules like any other time.

If you only hunt your land, then you dont need a license to hunt. But if you hunt somewhere else, you are best off just getting the license lol
WalknTall

Post by WalknTall »

I guess this post really does shoot down your credibility . In my eyes anyway.

You post pictures of your deer without tags. Some other forum member just points that out and you are offended, a lengthy debate evolves.

Then you post what was suppose to be a private message explaining to another forum member that you had been reported to the MNR by someone who you figured was another jealous forum member. Ooopps! Then you come back when the topic drops down and you type .... to bring it up to the top again. Again......oooopps!

Then to top it all off you come in with this topic about "why buy a deer tag?" including "they" (the MNR) may bump into your "other crop" ( I am guessing not carrots). As tongue in cheek as that may have been it does raise many questions to your thinking, ethically or otherwise.

Ok I am done. Where is the filter on here?
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
BUCKSHOT

Humm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, quotes are not needed as they have been shown!
You know something Tigerpaw, I read all of your post about the two big Bucks you harvested and was glad for you!
Somebody asked you a simple question about the tags, and you blew up your defence and your ego!
Then you cry the blues because you did something wrong and were taken to task for it!
Now you post a topic that is totally defiant and disrepectfull to a part of what you once represented, the LAW!
Why don't you give your head a shake?

I will appologize in advance to respectable members for "not being nice" but I hate this crap and I won't be shedding any tears for Tigerpaw!
Enjoy the Harvest!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I musta missed something in this post LOL... wish hunting season would hurry up cause its peaceful here then HAHAHAHHA
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Tigerpaw posted his question in Aug. of 2005 funny how its the big topic of conversation again but I guess that was the point.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I noticed a lot of forum members upset by someone tipping off the MNR about an infraction of the game laws.

If you saw a guy dragging a deer out of the woods without a tag affixed to it would you turn a blind eye? I wouldn't.

Have any of you made the effort to report poaching, illegal fishing etc.? I do. Why wouldn't I? I hunt and fish the same woods and streams.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"