Things Used But Not Designed For Hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

Post by M&M »

I allways include a pair or two of latex gloves in my fanny pack that I carry, so when I dress a deer out I don't have to search for a creek to wash all the blood off my hands, when I've dressed out my deer I just roll them back off put them in a ziplock bag and throw them away when I get home. Another thing is a balloon I put it over the muzzle of my muzzloader to keep rain water and snow out so my powder stays dry. M&M
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I use a cart on rubber wheels the kind you would transport a acetylene tank on .cost $30 at tsc stores. use several bungee cords to hold it on.works great.
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

Well that is some very good ideas. :D How about this a big hot water bottle for those times in the tree when you have to pee. :oops: :roll: It seals up so no scent gets out and when it is cold just but it in your shirt next to your skin and instant heat. :shock:
Bobber54

Blind carrier

Post by Bobber54 »

I bought a used cheap golf cart. I bolted on a wastebasket that I covered with some soft cloth. I removed the small wheels and took some old bicycle wheels and attached instead. I put my Double Bull T2 blind and chair and whatever else I need for a day hunt in the basket and go thru the woods with no problem. The golf cart folds up and goes inside after I setup the blind.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

bstout wrote:I carry a come-along winch with me all season long in behind the seat of my truck. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to get OLE MOSSY HORNS loaded into my four wheel drive after the kill. I wrap a rope around the antlers then hook the winch to the rope and start jacking.

It sure beats busting a nut.
Here's one from my Dad that you jogged from my foggy brain. The last few years that he hunted (he's 91) when I wasn't around to drag his deer for him or load it in the truck, he carried a half sheet of plywood, a pully on a bracket that fit over the front of the trucjk bed and a long rope. He would back the truck up to the deer, put the plywood from the tailgate to the ground as a ramp, tie one end of the rope to the deer, run it through the pully and tie the other end to a tree or fence post behind the truck. Then he'd get into the truck and slowly pull forward and the deer simply loaded itself into the truck. neat, huh?
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Joe,

Your dad should have just filled the truck bed with corn. That way he could drop them right in their tracks and not worry about the plywood :wink: :lol: . Just kidding. Great idea.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
M&M

Post by M&M »

If hunting with snow on the ground put a plastic tobogin sled in your truck when you get your deer put him on the sled and pull him out. M&M
Bucktail

plastic tobogin

Post by Bucktail »

The plastic tobogin/sled works at any time. It goes over the ground, logs, ditches,etc., snow or no snow.

I use mine all the time. Fits peferectly in hitch hauler on back of truck also.

Bucktail
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

Here's one from my Dad that you jogged from my foggy brain. The last few years that he hunted (he's 91) when I wasn't around to drag his deer for him or load it in the truck, he carried a half sheet of plywood, a pully on a bracket that fit over the front of the trucjk bed and a long rope. He would back the truck up to the deer, put the plywood from the tailgate to the ground as a ramp, tie one end of the rope to the deer, run it through the pully and tie the other end to a tree or fence post behind the truck. Then he'd get into the truck and slowly pull forward and the deer simply loaded itself into the truck. neat, huh?[/quote]

Yep! Hunt smart and you won't have to hunt hard.

Your Dad is a true engineer.[/quote]

Dad barely had the benefit of a high school education. He's a self taught machinist and worked in the garment industry all his life.(Started at 15) He is a skilled sewing machine repairman and still does it at 91. I wish I had a tenth of his skill and knowledge. Sometimes I wonder what he would have become if he'd had the benefit of a better education.

I agree with your hunt smart statement, only in our family we say it a little differently... "Umholtzs are basically lazy people. If we can figure out an easier way to do something, you better believe we will."

and posted above my desk at work is this little gem

"Arguing with an Umholtz is like wrestling with a pig in mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it."
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

or

joeumholtz

Re: plastic tobogin

Post by joeumholtz »

Bucktail wrote:The plastic tobogin/sled works at any time. It goes over the ground, logs, ditches,etc., snow or no snow.

I use mine all the time. Fits peferectly in hitch hauler on back of truck also.

Bucktail
toboggan also works good for hauling your gear into the woods. Several years back, with six inches of snow on the ground and a one mile drag I got some mighty envious looks as I breezed on by draging my deer on a toboggan. It was the old "Now why didn't I think of that?" It's a shame my drag is all uphill. I'd love to hop on and ride the deer and toboggan to the base of the mountain. That would get some looks I'm sure.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

or

joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

ecoaster wrote:Joe,

Your dad should have just filled the truck bed with corn. That way he could drop them right in their tracks and not worry about the plywood :wink: :lol: . Just kidding. Great idea.
Knowing my Dad, I'm sure the thought crossed his mind at some point. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

or

mblaney

My wife

Post by mblaney »

MY WIFE!
I don't usually use her for hunting but at least she can hold the light while I am dragging my deer out! :lol:

Corny, I know but could not help myself. She helped me one night a few years ago - long drag and it started to rain, then wind, then a full blown thunderstorm. We had to cross a 5 acre pond on a beaver dam and there were whitecaps pounding on our feet. Really funny story now!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

saxman wrote:So what I did was to take a 2 liter pepsi bottle,fill it about 1/3 with water, turn it upside down and let that part freeze.Then turn it rite-side-up and leave it in the freezer,the frozen water is now suspended in the top of the bottle.
That is a fantastic idea, but I'd be worried about the ice falling on it's own somehow and then you'd end up throwing out good meat. A similar, but safer method might be to stick a colander over a bucket and throw a bunch of ice cubes in the colander. Then you'd have physical integrity ensured, right?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Corvus wrote:
saxman wrote:So what I did was to take a 2 liter pepsi bottle,fill it about 1/3 with water, turn it upside down and let that part freeze.Then turn it rite-side-up and leave it in the freezer,the frozen water is now suspended in the top of the bottle.
That is a fantastic idea, but I'd be worried about the ice falling on it's own somehow and then you'd end up throwing out good meat. A similar, but safer method might be to stick a colander over a bucket and throw a bunch of ice cubes in the colander. Then you'd have physical integrity ensured, right?
With the bottle upside down it would take the shape of the top of the bottle.(tapered) Turn it right side up and if it melts and re-freezes there will not be a taper. Just flat ice.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Ziplock bags for anything like partridge breasts? Also for holding toilet paper from getting soggy, Your hunting buddies will almost kiss you for a dry piece of bum wad. Classic Immodium commercial one day, walked by my buddy who was all bent out of shape, and had a big mess to clean up and leaves were not going to cut it. he had used all his kleenex, that were wet, and was just about attemting to use one of his socks when I came to the rescue. When he seen the ziplock baggy with toilet paper he has always caried one since!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!