Hunting teams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Wow . . .this could get complicated. What about folks that hunt in mutiple states. I'm hunting in Ga and Va . . .neither require tags and I can harvest six in each state, maybe more(my Grandad is wanting to get some crop damage stamps).

Maybe you should just have a limited number? Maybe the team's best 8 deer. Forget about showing a tag and the measuring of the rack. Should be based on total number of points and a doe would count as maybe 8 points. That way a buck bigger than an 8 pointer would be worth more than a doe.

Anyway, I'm sure that somehow this could be made simple. We are on the honor system . . .but, the measuring might get a bit testy unless the picture is taken with a tape measure. :wink: Unless you get this simple, it could cause some hard feelings.

Figure out an easy point system with some kind of tie breaker, they'll most likely be a tie. A cool tie-breaker would be best rack in the tying groups and let the forum vote.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rutman

Post by rutman »

just a friendly game among the must honorable form of sportsman. I'm sure it will be good. :D :D :D
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I bet it will be great. Just a few bugs to work out first.

I like Kenton's idea of scoring bucks and I agree with Sumner that a picture verification would be needed to avoid mud slinging since pics will not do every animal justice.

Maybe we just figure out when the last season ends where ever that may be and close the contest then to allow people to travel or hunt the special urban seasons like we have here.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
kycooner

Post by kycooner »

you should only be able to check in 1 buck,,here in ky thats all your allowed
Frank Yates
Ky Cooner
06 Exomax aka RAMBOw
Lumi Zone Scope
Rangefinder Equiped
Custom Boo string
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa127/kycooner1/Rack_Attacker.jpg[/img]
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Ok, where to begin

I appreciate all the imput, I really do. With that said, here is my most recent proposal.

Teams
-three man teams
-all members must be on the forum (except a young son or daughter, like ray's)
-team must have a name (first come, first served for popular names)

Bucks
-one buck can be scored as such (no culls)

Does
-up to two does may be counted per hunter
-a buck submitted after a hunter has already summited a buck will count towards the doe total

Pictures
-if a weapon is pointed at the hunter, cameraman, or anyone else the deer will not be counted (treat EVERY weapon like its loaded; hour one in hunter's ed)
-a tag must be present in the submitted picture (a phone confirmation number is fine and the pic doesn't need to be right at the harvest site)

Deadlines
-have team members and team name to me by Oct 1.
-this FRIENDLY contest will end the last day that anyone will be hunting (no need to get worked up by this one)
-deer must be submitted within two weeks of harvest (should be plenty of time)

Miscellaneous
-a back porch harvest is good providing you are drinking coffee (GaryL)
- a tie (for first place only) will be calculated by subtracting the number of letters in you mother's maden name from a number comprised of your phone number backwards followed by your total number of fingers and toes. (fair enough?)
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Now, for scoring.
A bucks score will be comprised of two parts; typical points (very simple) and inside spread (very simple). This is not boone and crockett.

-number of typical (regular growing points from the main beam)
2-6 typical points will recieve 10 forum points
7-8 typical points will recieve 15 forum points
9-10 typical points will recieve 20 forum points
more than 10 typical points will recieve 25 forum points

spread
-the widest line (perpendicular to the deer) between the main beams
less than 15 inches will recieve 10 forum points
greater than 15 inches but less than 20 inches will recieve 15 forum points
greater than 20 inches will recieve 20 forum points

Does will recieve 20 forum points

Bonus Points
-a deer harvested with a muzzle loader will recieve 2 forum points
-a deer harvested with a bow will recieve 4 forum points
-a deer harvested with an Excalibur bow will recieve 5 forum points

Total Scoring
-a single person's highest possible score is 100
-a single team's highest possible score is 300

I have taken all advice into consideration and this is the best solution I could come up with. Everybody's situation is unique and there is no way to make everyone happy so just have fun.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Simple measurement.

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

The rules and etc sound great.... keep it simple;) I just wnated to make sure that people know you have to measure the INSIDE spread of the main beams. Some like to measure from the kickers off the G2 to another kicker that might come off the G3 LOL. We had a guy down here say his buck was 28inches wide because he did that. Truthfully, it was 18.5 inches wide LOL

I think Team Va is made up...

Me, Rich, and LV2HUNT

Sumner, different states wouldnt matter from what I see. You only are allowed 1 buck and 2 does for scoring;) No matter what state they come from
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer . . .true. Only thing is some states have much bigger bucks. A small buck in some states will score more than a very large buck in other states. You might want to team up with someone in Amish country. :lol:

I'll let you know if I get a big Va. buck. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
peter p

Post by peter p »

huntman wrote:Im in.... im sure there are some hunters close to me..... peter p you in?
Yes huntman, me and my son are in if you want us to make up part of the team.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:crazyfarmer . . .true. Only thing is some states have much bigger bucks. A small buck in some states will score more than a very large buck in other states. You might want to team up with someone in Amish country. :lol:

I'll let you know if I get a big Va. buck. :D
oh i know.. normally good bucks here would only score in the 120-30's out in the mid west :( Va does seem to have bigger bucks growing though. But still, mainly nothing bigger than 160-80's. We just cant get the huge body size here. a 150pound buck is huge here, but a baby up north and out west
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

bump
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

bump
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Another team made. (Not sure what thread this should've been in Kenton, posted twice now)

"The North-South Connection"

korey99 - Ontario
flbuckmaster - Florida
j - Ontario

This should be interesting. Come on October!!

Jay
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

ok J, I got ya.