What does everyone think about this?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

Ok boys, the offering is two strings and I will not be offended if the winner sells them for cash. If the winner does not have an Excal they can either take the two strings or I will work with them to make two strings for their compound crossbow (I've made a couple for compound crossbows) or a Trad bow.
If you are not interested in what I am offering please ignore me and stop turning this thread into a Monty Python retard show. I am asking you guys for something and I don't expect crap thrown in my face for doing so!
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Boo, I don't own any of your strings, but I have heard the praises, and I believe without seeing.

I think it's a great idea. i'M IN!

I'm not going to wade in on the discussion, only to say that I always do my best to show respect for our craft, and the animal, whenever possible. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things, and while I do enjoy a 'clean photo', I see both sides. I wouldn't want to see this forum moderated to the point where pictures have to be 'approved prior to posting'. I won't pass judgement, and I will continue to follow my own code.

Guess I just waded in didn't I?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dave, this thread has become very distorted. It was not to condem pictures with blood and tongue but it was only to encourage additional pictures of more "presentable" pictures in the style that would be more acceptable to some of the public. Again, I understand the pic of the moment but the gut piles could be excluded. I am sure you know what I mean. Any how, welcome aboard!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo . . .wow . . .I know you weren't meaning to stir any pot here, so to speak. You always have good intentions, I know that.

Guys/Gals . . no one is saying that you must take a certain type of picture. However, if you want the free string, then clean up your trophy a little. It's no big deal either way. I like seeing the entry and exit wounds . . .if you hit the heart, I like those pics too. However, when you pose with your deer there are some really clever ways to make the picture look great for ALL viewers. Personally, I want to show off my deer to all my friends and relatives. If I can learn something here to keep someone from saying "yuck" when looking at my pride and joy, then I want to learn.

I like the pose of the big buck catcher posted. Legs straight out, that really showed off the size of that monster and you can see those big feet. A tasteful and well presented picture, I would not have thought to pose that buck in that fashion . . .now I know. We want to praise the well done shots, not pick on the "poorly done" ones. We could all learn something here.

I can tell you this first hand . . .those Boo strings are awesome. :D

Maybe we can get R.J. to be a final judge, if one is needed. He knows a good picture.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Scott, you've hit the nail on the head, I couldn't agree with you more. I think you may understand this whole thing better than I.
Goodnight
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote: I like the pose of the big buck catcher posted. Legs straight out, that really showed off the size of that monster and you can see those big feet. A tasteful and well presented picture, I would not have thought to pose that buck in that fashion . . .
Sumner, I wonder if Catcher could present that buck in any other way! That old boy looks stiff as a cob to me ... look at that second pic ... Catcher's not even holding that head up! And those legs stretched out like that ... maybe he'd been hung up? I guess he might have rigged it some way, but I'm thinking Rigor Mortis there! :D Maybe Catcher will read this and relieve my curiosity!

Boo, I think the contest is a fine idea, and since all contests have rules, I think your guidelines are fine too. :D There wasn't and isn't any misunderstanding on my part. I was just responding to the discussion, myself.

Some threads devolve from their original premise, but I don't think this one has. It's back on track and doing fine. Thanks for presenting your idea and for providing the prizes for the contest! :D
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I think its a great idea Boo. I think its important to remember that we will never change what the anti-hunting community thinks. On that same note however, the majority of people who don't hunt understand that is necessary. These are the folks we should be showing respect towards because if their minds change, the antis get stronger.

Also, good pictures are made; they don't just happen.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Boo

Post by Boo »

I agree that we cannot change the anti's mind but let face it, if you look back several years from your harvest and you see one pic with a tongue hanging out, gut pile hanging around, big blood clots, deer upside down, deer in the back of a pick-up etc and then the other pic you took with legs tucked under, no blood all over the face, no open body cavity, big smile on your face, taken in the woods, etc etc. Which one would anyone would will be more pleasing to the eye?
Look everyone this really isn't so I can look at the pictures. I am trying to get you guys to take a bit of effort (it does not take much) to take an additional picture so you guys can appreciate some extra effort and appreciate the animal that you pay respect by taking a picture that does not degrade the noble prey that we pursue. If anyone thinks gut piles, blood clots, open body cavities, upside down deer, deer tied to the hood of a car etc makes for a better picture then do not communicate with me. I am a hunter that respects the animal I chase and I will not respect those that do not!
Sorry guys I am still a bit bugged by the trash that still floats around in the air. I do not mean to offend those who took the bloody pics because I know almost all of you will do better.
Don
Boo

Post by Boo »

Just a reminder people. I will be in Arkansas with Awshucks when the contest comes to an end hunting some hogs. There will be a few forum people there. Xbowking, Smokepole, Coyote170 and donno who else LOL! I hope we get some hunting done.
Anyhow, we can all start voting for the "nice picture contest" at the end of this month. Remember that does, muzzleloaders etc are cool but I will not hand out a prize for a picture with gut piles, major protrusions of tongues, in the back of pickups etc. I want to award the prizes to pictures that can hang on the wall of a business, home, church etc. You know what I mean. I've also dug up one more prize. A 3 pack of 100 grain Jackhammers! Just in time for turkey! That is four prizes.
I will really appreciate your co-operation in making this a fun contest.
BTW, well touched up photos are cool with me.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

sumner4991 wrote:Boo . . .wow . . .I know you weren't meaning to stir any pot here, so to speak. You always have good intentions, I know that.

Guys/Gals . . no one is saying that you must take a certain type of picture. However, if you want the free string, then clean up your trophy a little. It's no big deal either way. I like seeing the entry and exit wounds . . .if you hit the heart, I like those pics too. However, when you pose with your deer there are some really clever ways to make the picture look great for ALL viewers. Personally, I want to show off my deer to all my friends and relatives. If I can learn something here to keep someone from saying "yuck" when looking at my pride and joy, then I want to learn.

I like the pose of the big buck catcher posted. Legs straight out, that really showed off the size of that monster and you can see those big feet. A tasteful and well presented picture, I would not have thought to pose that buck in that fashion . . .now I know. We want to praise the well done shots, not pick on the "poorly done" ones. We could all learn something here.

I can tell you this first hand . . .those Boo strings are awesome. :D

Maybe we can get R.J. to be a final judge, if one is needed. He knows a good picture.
I agree.
I never realy took a camera in the woods hunting with me before and never had taken pics of any deer I have killed where I found it. I guess just cause I try to keep my hunting pack as light and compact as I could with only bare essentials as I generally have to walk a long way to my stands. But my last buck I happened to have a camera in the pocket of the coat I had put on to help my brother inlaw out of the ditch and did not change back into my camo before looking for my buck. Actually its a good thing I didn't or I wouldn't have had the camera!
We were both very excited when we found him and I was excited to have found the camera in my pocket and we just started snapping away without much thought about cleaning up the blood except for a couple brushes here and there and tried a bit of snow on the antlers as you can see some snow remaining from my effort in the pic but the blood was too dry on the antlers to come off with just snow it was like a stain.
A good friend suggested that I get rid of the blood on the photo with photo shop later on witch he was nice enough to do for me as I do not have the software or the computer savey to take on such a project lol. He new it was bothering me not having a photo of a lifetime of the buck of my lifetime, it might not be the best photo on this board but it is alot better now and the best photo I have ever had of a deer I have killed and I am very proud of it and that is all that matter's.
I think Don is doing a great thing here and he is devoting his time and effort into this contest and great prizes, hats off to ya Don.
And if no one minds me entering my improved pic than I am in.
Ian
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ian, I applaud you and your entry! You're a good man!