2008 Phone in for extra Deer seals ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hockeyfodder

surplus tags...

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hey fellas the MNR just uses this system as a cash grab.
They say it is to cut down on deer numbers but then they run a sham system like this.
If they were serious about having some success in cutting down numbers and controlling the herd they would sell half the tags the way they run it now and send the other half thru to the local MNR office.
You buy another tag when you go in and fill out the questionairre and show that you filled your first tag.

I called several hundred times from 08:30am until I finally got thru at 07:55pm. I am retired so put the day aside to do this. When I finally got thru all the tags in my preferred WMU were sold out. I did manage to get a tag in a nearby WMU...
Just my thoughts
fratri

Re: 2008 Phone in for extra Deer seals ?

Post by fratri »

R.J. wrote:Was supose to start today .. 1-800-288-1155

Tried approx 500 phone calls through out the day but immediate busy signal each time ?

Did anybody get thru ?
I am trying to get an extra tag but after I enter my hunting license it asks for my 3 diget hunting code or number something like that... anyone know what they mean?
TPM

Post by TPM »

I am lucky my WMU has lots of extra tags. Had no trouble getting through and getting my tag this past Monday.
I am trying to get an extra tag but after I enter my hunting license it asks for my 3 diget hunting code or number something like that... anyone know what they mean?
The 3 digit code defines what WMU you want to hunt in and when. I have the pamphlet here. Post the unit you want to hunt in and I'll give you the code.
Hey fellas the MNR just uses this system as a cash grab.
They say it is to cut down on deer numbers but then they run a sham system like this.
If they were serious about having some success in cutting down numbers and controlling the herd they would sell half the tags the way they run it now and send the other half thru to the local MNR office.
You buy another tag when you go in and fill out the questionairre and show that you filled your first tag.
That's all fine except that during the month of October I would use my additional tag first. This would allow me to save my primary tag for shot and rifle season. If I used my primary tag in October I would miss out on shotgun and rifle hunting. :(
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
mikej

Post by mikej »

are these additional tags only available in some wmu's or all of them
TPM

Post by TPM »

Only some... :(

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
mikej

Post by mikej »

where do i find out if my wmu has some. is this a new thing we've never had them before
TPM

Post by TPM »

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for the link. no extras for me
fratri

Post by fratri »

The 3 digit code defines what WMU you want to hunt in and when. I have the pamphlet here. Post the unit you want to hunt in and I'll give you the code.

It is WMU 87.....Where does one get the brochure...thanks...

Oh just found it on line thanks for the previous post....
ninepointer

Re: surplus tags...

Post by ninepointer »

hockeyfodder wrote:Hey fellas the MNR just uses this system as a cash grab.
I consider $37 to be dirt cheap for all the hours of enjoyment I get out of that tag, not to mention all that venison if I am successful. Heck, you can't even shoot a round of golf for $37.

But I totally agree with you that hunters should have to first seal a deer before being permitted to buy a 2nd or 3rd additional tag. Currently there's more "tag soup" than necessary at the end of the season.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TPM

Post by TPM »

But I totally agree with you that hunters should have to first seal a deer before being permitted to buy a 2nd or 3rd additional tag. Currently there's more "tag soup" than necessary at the end of the season.
I have to disagree on this one for reasons stated above. A second tag is not as universal as your primary tag. If I used my primary tag during October bow season I have no tag for shotgun and rifle season in November as my second tag is only good for bow in WMU 80. If I save my primary tag for shotgun and rifle season I would not be able to bow hunt in October. Having a second tag and being able to use it first leaves me open to hunt the entire season (or until both tags are filled).

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

[quote="TPM
I have to disagree on this one for reasons stated above. A second tag is not as universal as your primary tag. If I used my primary tag during October bow season I have no tag for shotgun and rifle season in November as my second tag is only good for bow in WMU 80. If I save my primary tag for shotgun and rifle season I would not be able to bow hunt in October. Having a second tag and being able to use it first leaves me open to hunt the entire season (or until both tags are filled).[/quote]

Sorry, didn't explain myself right :oops: . Where tags are available I think every hunter should be entitled to apply for 1 additional deer tag on top of their regular tag. What I was referring to was 2nd, 3rd or 6th additional tags after that.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Nine pointer wrote ...
I consider $37 to be dirt cheap for all the hours of enjoyment I get out of that tag, not to mention all that venison if I am successful. Heck, you can't even shoot a round of golf for $37.
Exactly ... thats why I buy extra tags !

TPM wrote ...
That's all fine except that during the month of October I would use my additional tag first. This would allow me to save my primary tag for shot and rifle season. If I used my primary tag in October I would miss out on shotgun and rifle hunting.
Yep ... opens up our options for sure ! ... Also extra tags in my area are anter / antlerless , so that's a bonus as well !

Years back , they use to be antlerless only ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
dutchhunter

no problem

Post by dutchhunter »

got through first time for area 90 8)