wasted trip to bass pro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

i was planning on coming up next thursday to pick up a couple of the remington ladder stands, any chance i will score a couple?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've always enjoyed my trips to Bass Pro. It's an outing, not just a shopping trip. It's fun just to look around. However, for me and a lot of folks, it's a 45 minute drive(or more) with good traffic. Therefore, I usually only make a limited number of trips a year. I normally always make my larger ticket purchases at Bass Pro. Now that gas prices have risen, I'm willing to bet that more and more people will make internet orders vs driving so far. I just ordered about all my fall archery supplies online. It took a long time to decide where to buy because I wanted to make all my purchases on one site. I wanted to purchase everything at one place to avoid multiple shipping charges. Some individual items were a little higher, but, overall, I saved some $$. If comparing it to travelling to Bass Pro . . .I saved gas $$, time and tax . . .but, gave a little back in the $8 shipping charge. Overall, I might have saved $10 in cash and a lot of time but missed out on a fun experience. I probably saved $200 on impulse purchases too. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stash wrote:Boo:

If you look at the Toronto store on the Bass Pro website, you'll find all sorts of info about the store, but if you click on products to buy, you will notice at the top of the menu it says "Online Shopping". The website is an online catalog, all in $USD, and is NOT the items in the Toronto store. And the paper catalogs are exactly that - mail-order catalogs, again, all in $USD.

No way is that "bait and switch". Nowhere does it say online or in the catalog that "all items are available in all stores".

However, in the majority of cases, we can order in almost anything you want from the catalog and have it delivered to our store for you to pick up. Exceptions are in the firearms/ammo categories and organic materials which may not be allowed into Canada.

There's no way any single store could carry all of the current and discontinued items that BP has for sale - you wouldn't believe the sheer size of the main BP warehouse in Missouri.

unclefester: I'm scheduled 9-6 on Thursday - if I'm not at the archery counter, that means I'm out of stock...you can get a raincheck. :) :)
The impression that I got from going online and selecting the Vaughn store as well as looking at the catalogue that is sent to my house is that the products will be there or is normally stocked. This is not just my impression and this impression has dragged many into the store. Of course it is the wrong impression but that is called bait and switch if it is done intentionally. I guess the question is whether or not they do it on purpose or do they know it is a mistaken impression and consequently leave that wrong impression linger? BP makes no prominent notice anywhere that the online site and the catalogue sent to the store actually has no guidance as to the price or availability of the products shown. This point has been brought up to store managers in the past.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stash

Post by Stash »

NewGuy wrote:i was planning on coming up next thursday to pick up a couple of the remington ladder stands, any chance i will score a couple?
If you're asking about the 870 stands for the 1-day sale on the 21st, tough call. I'd get there in the morning if I were you.

This is a one-day sale, but it's the lowest price (59.88 ) we've had on these.

Last year they were $10 more, but on sale for the whole 2 weeks. We had lots on hand but sold out before noon. We did get more in later during the sale. This year we have more than twice as many on hand.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Boo:

If you check other catalog + retail stores like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, even Walmart and such you won't find "prominent notice anywhere that the online site" about the items not being available in all stores. Canadian Tire does mention it on their site, but in a separate box regarding Clearance merchandise.

It seems to be common induatry practice. Again, I don't see it an intentional bait-and-switch, but if you do think it is, perhaps you can contact BP main office and let them know how you feel. Managers at the store level don't have much input regarding the website - BP would probably pay more attention to customers than employees on this matter.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stash wrote:Boo:

If you check other catalog + retail stores like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, even Walmart and such you won't find "prominent notice anywhere that the online site" about the items not being available in all stores. Canadian Tire does mention it on their site, but in a separate box regarding Clearance merchandise.

It seems to be common induatry practice. Again, I don't see it an intentional bait-and-switch, but if you do think it is, perhaps you can contact BP main office and let them know how you feel. Managers at the store level don't have much input regarding the website - BP would probably pay more attention to customers than employees on this matter.
You're right they're all doing it and as to whether or not they are doing it intentionally we'll never know. As to whether or not it harms the purchaser is yet another question. The only thing lost is gas and trust I guess. Suckers like me go there, don't get what they expected to see and end up spending way too much money on stuff I didn't need...but ultimately that is my decision. :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Stash wrote:
NewGuy wrote:i was planning on coming up next thursday to pick up a couple of the remington ladder stands, any chance i will score a couple?
If you're asking about the 870 stands for the 1-day sale on the 21st, tough call. I'd get there in the morning if I were you.

This is a one-day sale, but it's the lowest price (59.88 ) we've had on these.

Last year they were $10 more, but on sale for the whole 2 weeks. We had lots on hand but sold out before noon. We did get more in later during the sale. This year we have more than twice as many on hand.

Those are the ones, so as long as i get there for 8:30am i should be safe? Is there a limit on how wmany 1 can buy?
Guigsy

Post by Guigsy »

Just got back from Bass Pro a couple hours ago. No complaints from me, They had the excalibur case (T-form padded) I was looking for. Picked up some firebolts and boltcutters as well and some wax to keep that dandy new Boo string I have in great shape. All in all spent just shy of $200. bucks and loved every minute of it.

Stash, were you working at the archery counter today????
Stash

Post by Stash »

No limit on the Remington 870s that I am aware of at this time.

However, if there have beenn lots of customer complaints about running out of sale items, maybe the management might put a limit.

We have quite a few in stock, expecting many more this week. I doubt if we will run out, but you can never tell. At that price, the outfitters will be there in force, buying 10 or more at a time. Store opens at 9.

I was there - were you the guy I kept bothering with scanning the UPC on the case? :D
mikej

Post by mikej »

although i don't go often i've had good experiances with bass pro. will be planing a trip in the near future. but it is becoming a common problem with huge sales lately with many stores canadian tire and the grocery stores in this town are famous for the great deals advertised in flyers and then when you go to get something it seems to always happen that the truck didn't come in.
Guigsy

Post by Guigsy »

Yeah I was that guy. U weren't bothering me at all. I saw you post on here saying you worked there so it crossed my mind it might be you. I should have said something. Next time I'm in, I'll stop by and say hello. Thanks for your help today!
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I've been stung twice now with "sale items" and it will never happen again. It's especially aggravating when you drive 4 hours and they say "sorry sir", and "is this similiar to what you are looking for"

I now shop with Bowhunter Superstore, SIR/cabelas and if I'm in the area I like Ellwood Epps for my haz mat items like rifle/pistol powder, primers and reloading equipment.

I've spent close to $1300 this summer on hunting accessories for my wife and I for rifle, archery and ML. BP did not see a cent.

BP is too big now to care they lost $1300 from one guy. What really put the icing on the cake is when you're calling in a complaint and they put you on hold!!!!!!!!!!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The only time I had an issue with Bass Pro, I submitted an online complaint. The manager of the store called me within the hour. It was a $80 purchase. I'm certain they are concerned about every customer. He bent over backwards to make me a happy camper. Based on only that one experience, I'd have to rate their customer service very high. I really didn't expect to get a response. However, going through headquarters may be the best way to handle the complaint . . .I'm sure the manager had to answer to someone about the resolution since I filed the complaint online.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

sumner4991 wrote:The only time I had an issue with Bass Pro, I submitted an online complaint. The manager of the store called me within the hour. It was a $80 purchase. I'm certain they are concerned about every customer. He bent over backwards to make me a happy camper. Based on only that one experience, I'd have to rate their customer service very high. I really didn't expect to get a response. However, going through headquarters may be the best way to handle the complaint . . .I'm sure the manager had to answer to someone about the resolution since I filed the complaint online.

Scott
I agree Scott
Everyone has a boss
On line complaints written in a calm adult tone seem to get the job done
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Another company that was bad for advertising and not having enough stock on hand was Canadian Tire.

I've stopped doing business with Crappy Tire years ago because of that. Besides there still selling stuff for a 1970's Chevy something or another. Need a part for a Ford Pinto, bet they have it. :roll: