How long do you sit?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey - classics! :lol: I've been collecting them since my early teens ages ago. Not sure I could ever part with 'em. The good guys are good guys and the bad guys don't stand a chance.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote: The good guys are good guys and the bad guys don't stand a chance.
The way it oughta be! :twisted:
Grizz
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

bstout wrote:
fishnbugdude wrote:I have seen a deer walk up to the spot I walked in and taken a smell - turned and run (I had only gotten to stand about a half hour before that).
Knee high rubber boots will cure this problem.
That is what I am running now - helps but I would not bet my life on them. Wash them close to weekly with sports wash and keep them in an air tight container.

Maybe its just me - gotta get odour eaters or something. :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

4 hours tonight
Now I've got monkey butt
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikej

Post by mikej »

i wear camo hunting boots and spray them with scent killer i have had deer walk right through my tracks no problem. i had one buck smell my tracks 2 years ago and didnt really like what he smelled he was about to run when the arrow passed through his heart at 5 yards. thats why i started spraying them after that experience
bradm

Post by bradm »

Last year was my first deer hunting experience with a crossbow, I was determined yo harvest one. I sat in the treestand from mon to friday all day through rain and the cold. Friday afternoon at 3:30 a nice mature doe showed herself underneith my stand. She walked 7 yards parrallel of my stand and than turned broadside. I put the rage broadhead through the boiler room and watched her drop under 80 yards. What can I say, it was well worth it :D
Theres a place for all gods animals, Right beside the mashed potatoes and gravy.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Lots of different opinions.. :D
I think deer hunting is the ability to put on mileage while appearing to be standing perfectly still, I like to move around, see what the land has to offer at that particular moment.
If I sat in my stand today it would have been quiet as usual, instead I started walking, slow and meticulous steps to scan as much land as I could. To me the ability to approach a deer or a few deer is what the whole hunt is about, if for some reason that is incorrect please don't tell the deer hanging in my shop tonight, she may not understand. :wink:
With the crops still up visibility is very limited, I need to see things, I hunt for the sake of exploration, without seeing new things the day is a waste in my eyes.
Crops off is a different story, then I can see without as much travel.
Whatever you do to tag a deer is the right way. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
deerman

Post by deerman »

My property I hunt usually in the pm only due to bumping deer off my food plots in the morning. I usually get into the stand at 3:oopm and hunt til dark. Deer have to get up and move every 4 hours so in that time I stand a good chance of seeing deer or shooting one. Let a 1.5 8pt 15" walk this past weekend. Hope to get back out with the incoming High pressure cell.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

just keep this in mind and it will tell you how long you should be sitting. "a great many of the larger bucks are killed between 10am and 2pm". if you arent there, you wont see them!!!
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Country

Post by Country »

How long I sit depends on what the deer are doing. Sitting all day can be great if the rut is on. I know lots of deer trails that are used regularly but they mostly seem to have just the usual herd deer. To harvest a wall hanger I have to be on foot. It can take 3 or 4 weeks to find one. Once that's done I come up with a plan to go after him. Getting a P&Y deer sitting on a trail would just be luck. The more you are out in the woods walking around the more information you are gathering and the better your chances are of getting a good one. I saw about 20 deer this past Saturday and could have killed several if I wanted but didn't as Im looking for that monster. I will locate one eventually. 70% of my bow deer have come from still hunting through the woods. I think that sitting allows your scent to permeate a large area around you and ruins many of your opurtunities. When you walk you can put the prevailing wind in your face and use it to your advantage. This is particularly good during or just after a rain as you can often smell deer before you see em. They smell just like a wet dog.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

An interesting strategy i read about years ago is where if more than is hunting, and all are aware of stand plavement, that at a set time A stalks to B standsite, A then takes B stand, B then stalks to C, C then, etv., etc.---sounds workable and gets the kinks out with the walk---maybe even push a deer by the stand being approched. But if hunting alone with more than 1 stand strategicly placed in proximaty---the same thing can be basicly done just by slipping to another spot when the back gets a little too stiff :)