What worked, what didn't, what you would change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Most of my hunting this year was done before the end of November but I was able to take a 7 & a 9 pointer with my exomag & I let several bucks & does walk.

Over the years I have tried a lot of stuff that didn't work. In the last couple of years I have been pleasantly surprised by somethings that did work well for me.

To my surprise my Summit treestand sits comfortably & grips great - enabling me to climb high & sit a long time. I mostly hunt suburbs around my home. Moving from 15 feet to 20-25 ft has made a lot of difference in not being seen or winded by deer. I put a snap hook on my pack - snap it to one side of the climber & can climb & have everything accessable to me once hunting.

I bought a Hot Headz 6-1 fleece hood that promised to be wind & waterproof. I was skeptical but it has been great at keeping me warm. I am going to buy a back-up in case I lose the one I have.

For the past 3 years the grunt tube has worked fantastic for me. I have been hunting the down wind side of a small grown over field that is a doe bedding area. The bucks cruise the edge & it is a real hot spot.

I bought an LED headlamp at Wally World & it has been a great asset to have my hands free going & coming from the stand.

I picked up a pair of military micky boots at a yard sale & they worked well although I didn't have any real cold weather - maybe high teens.

I also bought Rivers West fleece jacket & pants - there are somethings I don't like about them but so far they are the best I have found.
ger34

Post by ger34 »

What worked?

Going out for an evening with Uncle Fester and gaining my confidence back....it was strange....but after that day when I was taking other guys out...what my gut told me...was EXACTLY what happened...I can't thank you enough Ken

A new Summit climber...didn't get much use till the last month of the season....but once I used it....I loved it....and used it every time out

All the other gimmics and gadgets I stayed pretty much away from this year...I did have a hard time finding my old standby scent...Tink's #69....so maybe others were liking it too?

BTW...I take old 35mm film canisters...fill them with cotton balls...dump in a little Tink's...put the lid on (I pre-drill lots of little 1/8" holes in the lids)...and then launch them about 20-30yds using my kids slingshot.....keeps my scent away from the trails the deer walk on ( my kid has stopped using his slingshot since...he says it smells funny now...lol)

I think for next year I will purchase either a rangefinder or a helmet mounted camera like this one

http://firevideo.net/

Other than that...I hope to have my custom wood stock finished for my X bow by next year.....and I'm just going to stick to the basics
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs