Thermacell

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Post by saxman »

I take my pad back off the unit and put it in a zip loc bag I get 3 or 4 hunts out of it depending on the length of the hunt.

I have sent them several E Mails about making one with a silent turn on switch instead of the click,click,click
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

saxman wrote:I take my pad back off the unit and put it in a zip loc bag I get 3 or 4 hunts out of it depending on the length of the hunt.

I have sent them several E Mails about making one with a silent turn on switch instead of the click,click,click
Mine sat on my safe all winter Scott, I fired it up yesterday and it is still fine. I thought it may evaporate or something, but it stayed perfectly intact.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
animal

Post by animal »

just got one at home depot $22.88 USD and they have the lantern too :)
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
animal

Post by animal »

the frenchman wrote:are they good for black flies or just mosquitos

how do you spell fly like when you say 3 fl???

Michel
yes good for both
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

thank's to both of you
what time is it? time to go hunting
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I just read on their websight that they are making some pads to give off an earth smell for deer hunters. They still repel the bloodsuckers the same as the originals. (15'x15')
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
subneural

Post by subneural »

I picked up the compact unit for $22 CAD at Crappy Tire, which includes 1 butane and two pads. I figure small = good, as it will fit easily in my pants pocket.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ray, your link was to late for the freebie.. I picked up 2 boxes of the supreme but dont have the tickets now:(

I love mine but have only used it 2-3 times.. Its great if you have kids and want to get them in a double stand or groundblind. I still dont trust the smell around a wise old buck though, but its really handy for turkey season! You can still hear the slight hiss of the butane though. The click isnt to bad, just try to muffle it when you light. But it works 100%! Its has its place in hunting no doubt. We all hope its cool enough no bugs are out most of the season anyway :D But here in Va, the skeeters dont really go away untill late Oct...
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:

I love mine but have only used it 2-3 times.. Its great if you have kids and want to get them in a double stand or groundblind. I still dont trust the smell around a wise old buck though, but its really handy for turkey season! You can still hear the slight hiss of the butane though. The click isnt to bad, just try to muffle it when you light. But it works 100%! Its has its place in hunting no doubt. .
do they really smell that bad?
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

heres a quote i saved from another form...was a long time ago,i cant even rememberwhat the original forum i got it from..
got a brain fart the other day for the therma cells. You can already buy the curling iron butane bottles alot cheaper. What if you could replace the pads so you dont have to buy new refills. Well you can....The repellant solution on the old pads is Pyrethrin. What if you soaked the old pads in a solution of Pyrethrin to renew them?????? Well you can....You can buy Pyrethrin Dip at a pet store and resoak the old pads to renew them, and let them dry. Now you have cheap fuel and cheap pads. I knew there had to be a way!!!!!OBTW I dont know if you know to use the cheap fuel as a body heater to keep warm in the winter, but they work great! pass this tip on
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

I love mine but have only used it 2-3 times.. Its great if you have kids and want to get them in a double stand or groundblind. I still dont trust the smell around a wise old buck though, but its really handy for turkey season! You can still hear the slight hiss of the butane though. The click isnt to bad, just try to muffle it when you light. But it works 100%! Its has its place in hunting no doubt. .
do they really smell that bad?
No, I have never had an instance where the smell has altered a hunt.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

great tip fogducker thanks
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

mikej wrote:great tip fogducker thanks
hey thats just info taken from the web...do your own homework..
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
mikej

Post by mikej »

well it gives me something to look into , thanks for sharing
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm really going to have to get one of these Thermacells ... but I'm afraid the nearly constant wind around here might really prevent it from working well.
Grizz