Rattle bag v. rattling antlers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. Dynamite

Re: Rattle bag v. rattling antlers

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

You know, the bucks in our end of Ontario must really get into it sometimes, because a lot of the shed antlers and dead buck skulls I have found have had broken points--right from the small antlers up to the big ones. Nice one from this spring is a big thick five with three stickers. It would have had a 3-split brow if he had not broken one of them off. Just left him with a 7 in forked brow that is all knobby and as thick as the beam between G1 and G2. This antler had already been out there a year, but I did not see anything of his one from this past year! Too bad. I did see his grandpa a couple of summers ago though :shock:

I wonder how well a decoy set done right with sents and rattling would work here in the good days of the rut?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I have both, but prefer to use the real thing. With the real thing you can rub the antlers on trees or surrounding shrubs. Use them to make the sound of a deer running off.

I know for a fact that my antlers work. Even though they are almost 20 years old.

Rattled in two bucks last year. Shot one, wished I had been able to shoot the second.

Rattling doesn't always work. Plain and simple. Don't be discouraged be the apparent lack of success. Sometimes deer will come in unheard and unseen. Sometimes there just isn't any deer within earshot.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I've heard that with real antlers you need to do some maintenance to keep them sounding good over time. Soak them, or something like that. Can anybody elaborate on this?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I've rattled with no success; except the time I was moving a tree stand. While trying to get the chain around the tree , the kept hitting the steel stand. Finally , I got the end and connected the stand. I turned to see a young buck watching me install a stand ! That was the the last time I saw that deer. Ray.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I found the wooden filled rattle bags were too full and sounded very dull while the plastic rod bags sounded very tinny... so I mixed 'em up a bit and left them less full to allow more room between then parts.

Anyone try these?
Attachments
K & H Mag Pack Rack.jpg
K & H Mag Pack Rack.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I cut up some old racks that I had got the straight pieces big and small put them in a bag and made my own rattle bag out of real rack pieces..It seemed to work just as good as wood . alot easyer to pack..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks for all your replies :)

I have a spot where it will be difficult for the deer to circle down-wind of me and, coincidently, I was already planning to construct a 2-person, open-topped ground blind there for Queen Bee and I. Should make for some realistic sparring or fighting sequences. To eliminate the PIA and danger factors, I can stash my synthetic rattling antlers nearby so that I won't have to pack them in/out each time. That will enable me to ramp-up my rattling efforts this fall.

Its official now for me; the pre-season excitement is starting to set in! :D
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

I have used real antlers and the bags. I find that it is better to use them in conjunction with a buck decoy.
The bucks...especially the big ones...I have found slip in quietly to have a look at the other bucks. When they don't see them, or at least one, they circle to get downwind and then you get busted everytime.
If they come in and see another buck (decoy) they usually come right in to see what's up.
Also using the antlers in a ladder stand creates alot more movement and I've been busted several times by deer that have been standing still in thick brush and have seen me move to either rattle the antlers or hang them up...
Just my observations.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

ninepointer wrote:I was already planning to construct a 2-person, open-topped ground blind there for Queen Bee and I. Should make for some realistic sparring or fighting sequences.
Just to be clear, what I meant was rattling for bucks. Not sparring & fighting between Queen Bee and I just because we'll be in the same blind! :lol: :lol: :lol: