Passthrough

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

camoman

Re: Passthrough

Post by camoman »

I only got to hunt with my exocet two weekends last year, but I had two complete pass thru's on deer. The only problems I had were with hogs. The carbon arrows were not penetrating. Once I switched to the heavier aluminum arrows I was passing thru hogs as well.
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

bob1961 wrote:his arrows weigh 440gr and have a FOC of 11.6% :shock: ....when he shot his xbow they can't be going 345fps compaired to mine at 295fps with a 550gr arrow....i'd say his are going 285fps bout without a chrony :wink: ........bob

Lets try Wed. again and see how it goes. My bow is completely stock from bolts to cables. I am using the recommended 125 grain head, so my bow has to be shooting closed to the rated FPS or at least in the 300 range.

Here is the info I pulled up on the Barnett carbon shafts
Technical Information: Barnett Crossbow Arrows

Arrow Material: Carbon
Straightness: N/A
Weight Tolerance: +/- 2.0 grains
Diameter: 11/32"
Weight: 13.78 grains per inch
Length: 22"
Fletching: 4" Vanes
Nock Type: Half Moon
Barnett Quad 400
22" carbon shafts with vane
125 grain 2 blade rage broadhead
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

Today I took out the Quad 400 with BOB to sight her in. I started at 20 yards and the top set of crosshairs on my scope, BANG dead center. Back to the thirty yard line and the second set of crosshairs in my scope, BANG 6 inches low and to the right. I was like WTF! So I decided to sight the bow in at thirty yards then work my way back. Now thirty yards second set of crosshairs, BANG just below bullseye. Forty yards third set of crosshairs, BANG a little higher than bullseye. All in all I put about 200 bolts down range, I ain't going to get any better than that. I am assuming when I started at twenty yards it was too close. I wanted to try fifty but figured 40 was my max range to shoot at an animal.
Barnett Quad 400
22" carbon shafts with vane
125 grain 2 blade rage broadhead