would you shoot one?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Northwoods

Re: would you shoot one?????

Post by Northwoods »

Here's my opinion...many guys are real selective until some days go by w/o seeing a shooter...then they get unselective pretty fast... :roll:

We have close to 1500 wolves, many bear, bobcats, coyotes, and a fair number of Cougar in the relatively small area of the UP of Michigan...Fawns are scarce and I don't shoot them...they are as dumb as spikehorns...we cant shoot them either with QDM (quality deer management) in our area.

Until things get worse with our economy I still hunt for sport (not survival)...those deer could be trained to eat out of ones hand and I couldn't do it... But if its legal to in your game area then its your choice, and I have no problem with that.

Baiting is illegal in Mich and limited in the UP to no more than a gallon at any time in my DMU.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I only hunt mature bucks ( 8 pointer wider than the ears) until late season. Then the does are very sharp and the bucks are rare so its time for me to think freezer. Only wish I could get the wife to eat venision. :(
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If the stars were aligned right [deer too] and I still had the emax, heh heh heh, I'd zip one thru all three at the same time. Failing that I'd go for the doe alone. Or a double on the bambi's. Thatway they would have twice the chance to evade predatorsd now not having to bleap around for mama and I'd have all that sweet meat.
"Eze 18:21"
tman74

Post by tman74 »

My first bowhunt years ago, I was really looking forward to harvesting a deer. I saw a few adults but they didn't present any quality shots. I had a fawn follow my footsteps to my treestand, stand at the base looking up at me for a couple of minutes, turned then slowly marched away. Later that eve I was sitting at the break of a toppled large maple and that fawn came back and made a repeat performance. On my way out of our bush, he finally spooked while in the beans. I got more out of that experience letting him live, than I would have harvesting him that day. Ever since that day I've passed on fawns and does with fawns (I know, I'm a wuss). I just think if you take a doe with a fawn or fawns, you lessen the chances of survival for the fawn(s) in the upcoming winter months. I could be wrong.

That said, I don't feel there's anything wrong with someone choosing to legally harvesting a fawn or a doe with fawns. I'll bet they sure are tasty though :wink: .To each their own, and it's your call. Happy hunting folks!

Tman74
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well I will take the 5th...... :roll:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Yes I would.
If I don't get one this year my wife will make me quit hunting and take up grocery shopping to get food :lol:
Tenpoint Matrix