Best arrow . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Best arrow . . .

Post by sumner4991 »

I was in the weight room one day benching 350# and a guy comes up to me and says, "wow" that's a ton of weight" . . .30 minutes later another guy comes through the door, grabs the bench next to me and starts warming up at 350# and keeps going. I was in the best shape, strength wise, of my entire life. Physically, I felt great. Why did it bother me that this other guy was out-lifting me?? I look back now and it's easy for me to say, I felt great, I should have just enjoyed feeling great and been happy.

It's all relative . . .what's heavy for me is nothing for some other folks.

I think strum has it all figured out . . .if he will just listen to himself. Since getting the Excalibur, I never had a problem with hitting a gnat in the backside . . .but, if there was a way to make it better, then I wanted it. So, I tried it all . . .still trying.:lol:

masboy has the solution for FOC . . .back into it. Which is what I eventually ended up doing. I liked how my arrows were shooting, added weight until I got a complete pass through . . .all is well. I'm not certain of my current FOC . . .but, it's good.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Lot's of good reading in this thread. I'm w/ Don on the FOC cover up. I got into the brass inserts via Danny in 05 when my 5" vaned alum inserted GT's outta the Emax w/ bheads could be bettered w/ brass and Slicks. His words, and I liked the results.

Vixenmaster, ya might gots rocks, but ya hain't got the mountains like us Arkies do. Ah, the swirling gusty breezes is why we got no skeeters.

Y'all come back, hear? Try again, lol. Bring the new knife, you old coon.
"Eze 18:21"
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I shoot 125 gr marden mini max steel expandables from my Ibex and for some reason I have found Gold Tip bolts with the brass insert and Vane Tec vanes are super accurate.

The last one I shot at a deer went right through the heart (where I was aiming) and lodged in a tree. The broadhead was ruined but the arrow was fine.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I shoot 125 gr marden mini max steel expandables from my Ibex and for some reason I have found Gold Tip bolts with the brass insert and Vane Tec vanes are super accurate.

The last one I shot at a deer went right through the heart (where I was aiming) and lodged in a tree. The broadhead was ruined but the arrow was fine.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

:shock: wow, same shot twice! :lol: :lol:

I admit I'm new to this xbow hunting thing, IMHO, after shooting 100's of arrows with my buddies, I find just about all arrows will group very tight, I shoot gtII with brass and 100 grain field points. My buddies vary, aluminum shafts, 150 grain field tips, fire bolts ect...
When shooting off a bench every one of us can shoot a 1" group at 30 yards, But when we shoot freehand or with a tripod rest all the groups get bigger and every one of us has a wanderer, for lack of a better term.

We all have broken shafts mainly due to leaving them in the target and shooting again!

So IMHO I believe some ppl like to tinker, which is great and that they share their findings with us. I'm sure in a year I will also be a tinker. But accuracy is still left with the person on the other end of the bow when shooting in the field. :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shoot gtII with brass and 100 grain field points.
The fun really starts w/ fixed blade bheads, imho. :D
"Eze 18:21"
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I used to shoot the Beaman Thunderbolts (aluminum insert) with a 125g Slick Trick Magnum. In order to get the Slick Tricks to group consistantly I had to make sure that I lined the blades on the broadhead up the same way for each shot. If I didn't line the broadhead blades up the same way they would hit high left or low right by about 6"-8" at 40 yards. The factory arrows were fletched straight with 4" Duravanes. I refletched the arrows with 5" Duravanes with a 4 degree offset. The fletching made no difference at all. It took me a while to figure out that the broadheads were steering the arrow.

I switched to the Gold Tip Laser II's with the brass insert fletched with 2" Blazers and those same broadheads will now fly to the same hole at 40 yards off of a rest regardless of the orientation of the broadhead.

The FOC on the Beamans was around 11% IIRC and the FOC of my current arrows is in the neighborhood of 22%. Both arrows shot the NAP Spitfires without an issue. IMO and experience the FOC is not as big an issue with mechanical broadheads but any arrow instability will show up in a heart beat when you switch to fixed broadhead, even if it is a low profile broadhead.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
masboy

Post by masboy »

I got so many different arrows in all kind of components . But use the most acurrate in my vortex what are gt11 and super slams or eclipse 2114.but the best shooting 2114 don,t shoot as well from my equinox.the gt11 shoot great from both crossbows.but the carbons are a pain too work with too get the same weights . And not as many great shooting arrows from a dozen.I would like too just make one arrow combination that works in both bows .was thinking a 2117 slam or eclipse for both bows . A little stiffer and stronger . I bent a few 2114 in deer and targets. But there hard too beat for accuracy .I hope the 2117 do the trick.want too do more shooting and less arrow testing.got a wall hanging full of wore out strings.was upset today when shooting I Found a 2 inch spliner sticking out from limb next too disp pad pulled it off and it was just camo splinter with no black fiber .I think I just lost some camo I hope . Shot some more seems ok.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I got so many different arrows in all kind of components . But use the most acurrate in my vortex what are gt11 and super slams or eclipse 2114.but the best shooting 2114 don,t shoot as well from my equinox.the gt11 shoot great from both crossbows.but the carbons are a pain too work with too get the same weights . And not as many great shooting arrows from a dozen.I would like too just make one arrow combination that works in both bows .was thinking a 2117 slam or eclipse for both bows . A little stiffer and stronger . I bent a few 2114 in deer and targets. But there hard too beat for accuracy .I hope the 2117 do the trick.want too do more shooting and less arrow testing.got a wall hanging full of wore out strings.was upset today when shooting I Found a 2 inch spliner sticking out from limb next too disp pad pulled it off and it was just camo splinter with no black fiber .I think I just lost some camo I hope . Shot some more seems ok.
Horizontal Hunter

I had a similar splinter on one of my limbs a few years ago. It was the size of a tooth pick. I called and spoke to Dan Miller. He said that I didn't need to worry about it just snip it off and sand down the rough edges with a little fine sand paper.

Bob
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

So I'm good and confused now. :oops: With my vortex shooting gtII's, 110 grain brass, 100grain slicktricks, will they shoot in the same spot as the 100 grain field point at 30 yards?
I don't have a broadhead target to test it out. I'm kind of getting mixed signals here, I'd hate to have to donate a slicktrick and arrow to test myself. :lol:
Sorry; don't mean to hijack this thread but it does concern arrows. :lol: :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

awshucks wrote:
I shoot gtII with brass and 100 grain field points.
The fun really starts w/ fixed blade bheads, imho. :D

Some folks call it fun . . .my fun quickly turned into a headache. I'll stick with mechanicals until I quit.
bcmuledeer wrote:So I'm good and confused now. :oops: With my vortex shooting gtII's, 110 grain brass, 100grain slicktricks, will they shoot in the same spot as the 100 grain field point at 30 yards?
I don't have a broadhead target to test it out. I'm kind of getting mixed signals here, I'd hate to have to donate a slicktrick and arrow to test myself. :lol:
bcmuledeer . . .here's your problem, they may not hit the same spot as your field tips. On my bow, the Slick Tricks were two inches to the left and a little high at 30 yards. Consistantly . . .I ruined a target or two. For those folks shooting the thin bladed fixed blades, like the Wasp Boss . . .the impact of hitting the target can bend the blades enough to throw them off 8-10 inches and you can't even see the bend.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

bcmuledeer wrote:So I'm good and confused now. :oops: With my vortex shooting gtII's, 110 grain brass, 100grain slicktricks, will they shoot in the same spot as the 100 grain field point at 30 yards?
Slicks come with a balance washer & if'en its not right the arrow/BH wobble & go off of yer aim pt. Sometimes even when its right it will be off of aim pt mainly because of vanes. Straight -Offset-Helical ! Fixed & replaceable fixed BH's should always be tested & sighted in by using them. Spitfires will hit with-in a 1/4" of field pts when using proper vane/feather configuration
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Horizontal Hunter

The field points, NAP Spitfires, and Slick Trick Mags (all 125g) shoot to the same POI on my GT Laser II's. My arrow build is the 110g brass insert, 2" bhoning Blazers fletched with a 4 degree right offset. Total finished arrow weight is 424g.

Regardless you need to test your set up out and see how they fly. The only thingthat really matters is how your arrows fly out of your xbow and you need to know that before you go into the field.

Bob
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Thanks guys! :D
Will invest in a broadhead target and blaze away.
Thanks for the heads up, would hate to wound a nice animal.
Bill