Leupold Crossbones scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

See4miles

Re: Leupold Crossbones scope

Post by See4miles »

Boo,
You are simply not making fair comparisons putting a Hawke up against a Vari-X III or a 4200 Elite. These are different levels of glass you are comparing here. And if you're going to do that, please tell these fine people how much these scopes your comparing to the Hawke cost. They may want to drop $600.00 to $800.00 like you did......
In the Wind.......
Boo

Post by Boo »

See4miles wrote:Boo,
You are simply not making fair comparisons putting a Hawke up against a Vari-X III or a 4200 Elite. These are different levels of glass you are comparing here. And if you're going to do that, please tell these fine people how much these scopes your comparing to the Hawke cost. They may want to drop $600.00 to $800.00 like you did......
My apologies. I realize now that it could be read that I was comparing the VXIII and 4200 to the XB30 but that was not on my mind. I should only have said that they are over rated.
If I wanted a near price comparison I would take the VXII. In that Leupold line you get extreme durability and a no hassle warranty. The best part is that it is made in North America. You can't go wrong with Burris either. I have yet to meet anyone unhappy with the 2X7 shotgun/muzzle loader scope. Would it be so bad to buy one of these http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-var ... ticle.html ? You end up with a great scope and you keep the money in America with out any effort and without loosing anything.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I agree on the Leupold's Boo, who can beat that warranty too! I'd like to think all the big names will eventually make crossbow specific scopes. We will all benefit from the competition in the long run.
In the Wind.......
Boo

Post by Boo »

See4miles wrote:I agree on the Leupold's Boo, who can beat that warranty too! I'd like to think all the big names will eventually make crossbow specific scopes. We will all benefit from the competition in the long run.
There's nothing wrong with the Leupold rifle scopes right now. The only real difference between rifle scopes and "crossbow specific scopes is the reticles that some people cannot live without. A using the reticles of a scope of a power range near 2X7 will handle 20/30 and 40 yards and parallax is not in issue. Personally I'll sight my scopes in at 25 yards and aim a bit high at 30 and a bit low at 20. We don't talk about it much but there are quite a few of us that hunt like that.
When Leupold puts out a variable scope with crossbow friendly reticles I'll buy one.
BTW, what happened to the wisdom that said buy a scope equal or more than what you paid for the rifle and when you put on a $100 scope on a $700 rifle you turned your $700 rifle into a $100 rifle?
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i don't think thatsa very good equasion...
it all depends on what the owner wants out of his rifle/+bow.
i like my leupolds... i have many, and yall would probably laugh if ya knew what they are mounted on.
and i gotta safe fulla simmons pro-diamonds too.
i have tried many others and will always come back to what i have found to work for me ...
many are over-rated !! just like multiple shot rifles are over rated.
one shot should be all you need if ya know when and where to put it... but most of all when not to pull it.
thats one reason i enjoy the +bow... one shot, thats it.
same as my one-hole rifles most with leupold glass on them
$600-$800 scope on a $250 rifle........ :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I absolutely agree with you on rifles where a 400 plus yard shot may be possible. And I think I'd be willing to spend more than I did on the XB30. But, when my shots are rarely going to be more than 30 yds, and never more than 40 yds, its hard to justify 600.00 for a scope. Especially when I can see well into the nightime at 20-30 yds with the Hawke. I spent a lot of time last year testing the XB30 in dusk, full on night, and rainy dusk nights with full moon, and quarter moon conditions. (I live in the woods of northern Michigan) There was only one type of occassion where I couldn't have made a confident kill an hour after dark, and that was on a rainy night.
Looking at what I feel are the five best crossbow scopes out right now, I'd take any of them and be very happy when all is said and done.
I think we have a great offering of crossbow specific scopes now with price points at the maximum of 95% of what anyone is willing to put down for one.
If Swarovski offered a crossbow scope for $1200.00, would you buy it? Because it would absolutely be the best ever.......but would you really need it?
In the Wind.......
Boo

Post by Boo »

See4miles wrote:If Swarovski offered a crossbow scope for $1200.00, would you buy it? Because it would absolutely be the best ever.......but would you really need it?
Nope. But I certainly would never have a problem buying a scope that costs more than an XB30 that was not a "crossbow" scope.
Crossbow users are duped into thinking that they need a "crossbow" scope. That's not to say that you shouldn't buy one but one should know that you can use a scope that does not have the word crossbow on it. As far as I am concerned crossbow owner's have been thinking within the box because scope manufacturers who make "crossbow specific" scopes have had successful marketing programs.
What I am suggesting is that people open their minds and try something different. You might not think that you could be happier until you try something different. Again, to be clear I am not saying that there is anything wrong with using a "crossbow specific scope". But you might be happier using something else and you won't know until you try it.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Agreed 100% Boo.. :D
In the Wind.......
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I just got a Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope off of Danny Miller. I set it up with a HHA Optimizer it worked great. Now i have it mounted with low rings with out Optimizer. I have it sighted in top duplex 20 cross hair 30 bottom duplex 40. Next i plan on sighting in at 25yds low high thing. And see what the bottom duplex gives me.
I really like this scope.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

That sounds like a great set-up with the HHA.... :D
In the Wind.......
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

See4miles wrote:That sounds like a great set-up with the HHA.... :D
I tell ya it worked pretty good. I could set the HHA on 30yds and have 20,30,40 using the duplex's and x hair. Plus have 20 to 80yds with the full range of the 2x7. Great for shooting paper.The down side it raised the scope about a 1/2".
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

If it affects your cheek position, are you palnning to pad the cheekrest to compensate for the higher position? I did this with the XB30s stock scope mounts as they were very high as well. I later got some 30mm rings and lowered it back down but the cheek rest worked great, just more bulk was my only issue.
In the Wind.......
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I have it on a Relayer Y 25. So i don't think i will use it. I hunted with the HHA on a Ibex with a EOTech type sight i padded it. And it worked great.I like the wood stock but it feels way different than the Ibex. Besides if i add padding to that wood stock the Excal gods might strike me with lightning LOL :)
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

repetition can get us used to just about anything anyways.
In the Wind.......
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I like Burris glass, on my Max is a burris full field ll, 2x7x35 with german3p#4 reticle, this scope was on a muzzle loader for 3yrs and on this bow for two, no probs what so ever, I think they sell for 179.00 to 229.00 depends where you buy it, you wouldn't have any regrets if you bought one. all these scopes work but why buy because it says xbow on the box

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers