.357 Airgun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

badredbird

Re: .357 Airgun

Post by badredbird »

i have a pair of sam yang big bores, one in 9mm and one in 45, the .357(9mm) likes speer plinkers 148 gr and 158 gr hollowpoints, they are .358 the barrel chokes down the head , it shoots them very accurately, ive killed several deer and a few hogs they have amazing power , tho they can be tuned for more power, they are so quiet, but can be made that way, they seem to like oversized cast heads with a bhn of 5 to 10 , its amazing what these guns can do, the range on 9mm is about 150yds stock, the 45 cal about 100 good luck with the rogue !!!!
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Thanks, I discovered big bores a few years back and read reviews on the Yangs on Jim Chapmans page. I just got a box of 95 gr. hollow points in the mail for plinking around the back yard. Gonna see what it will do with them. Hunters supply has a good variety of bullet options for most all big bores.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

yes hunters supply is good source , i have 95 and 115 grains from them in .358, i have a quackenbush on order , i cant wait!in a 458 cal, also brushfires are good bullets, i find most of my info on airguns in gateway to airguns , great source of all kinds of info and guys who supply and work on these things
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Big bore airguns are the new rage in sport shooting.

I have a .25 caliber Rapid 12, made by the English company Theoben. I can shoot 31 grain pellets at 980 fps, but typically shoot them at 920 fps for better accuracy. I get 60 ft. lbs. of energy with 940 fps.

The tank/bottle holds 500cc of air, and is filled to about 3,200 psi, for about 35 full power shots. Notice the suppressor on the barrel...making it whisper quiet.

Nice wood grain!

5 shot groups at 50 yards with avg. velocity of 935 fps. Groups are a little tighter when I adjust the velocity down to 910-925 fps. Many of the folks at my local gun range can't believe it shoots as well, and sometimes better than their Anschutz .22 rimfires!

Next to shooting my Excalibur Crossbow, shooting this bad boy is one fun adventure. Drops raccoons like a sack of dirt. Many of my fellow airgun enthusiasts on an Airgunadvice website tell of taking coyotes with precision head shots with this and other comparable air rifles.

An Airhog Carbon Fiber fill tank at 4,500 psi., filled at the local paint ball shop for a few dollars gets me about 30 fills for the gun before I need to have the carbon tank topped off again at 4,500 psi. That's about 1,000 shots, or two tins of pellets.

The gun is an absolute precsion hammer! Would love to get that .357 bad boy. It's amazing what folks are harvesting with airguns these days!
Normous

Post by Normous »

VERY NICE PA_DeerHunter!
I like the right handed walnut stock with the raised cheekpiece. It is like the walnut stock on my PCP .22 Air Arms s410.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Thanks E! Yep, I also have an AirArms 410 ERB in .22 and
love that gun too. Also have a Daystate Huntsman in .22, but the Rapid is my favorite! A 31 grain .25 caliber pellet puts some serious smack on just about everything it hits. And 100 yard shots are amazing with the JSB Kings (25.4 grains)...tack drivers! Targets the size of a squirrel's head are not a problem at that distance with JSB's! Funner than a rimfire!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm also drooling over your Airhog Carbon Fiber fill tank at 4,500 psi., I waited a long time for them to update their site.
Shelby Performance Car Parts or Airhog Carbon Fiber Tank, that is my dilemma right now. :) dunno..
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

I would recommend that you go to Joe Brancato's site. He is a top notch guy who puts together some really awesome packages for tanks and hoses. His microbore hoses and glycerin filled guages are top of the line. He also sells a guppy bottle that will fill that AirArms of yours about 13 times. And if you have a shoebox compressor that fills to 4500 psi (they are around $500), you don't need an outside person to fill your tank.

See his stuff - http://www.airtanksforsale.com/
Boo

Post by Boo »

There should be a law that prevents me from seeing this stuff! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

OH oh...here we go again :) ...that is a very good site link. I like the guppy and the other packages!!!!
My Tax return might get torn apart in different directions.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
frisky

Post by frisky »

That stock looks a lot like the Y25 stock :D :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

boo if you ever got ahold of one you d be addicted ,they are quiter than normal , tho not necessarily silent, cheap to shoot , deadly precision accuracy my sam yangs hold under a minute of angle , no recoil to speak of , and are deadly on game , the hand pump thing gets old , the 4500 psi carbon tanks are nice , i also have a pair of mac 1 steroided 22s , unbelievable what they will do you tube has a dirt e harry video on benjamin steroid 22 vs the stock,these guns can be tuned to get more power out of them lol just another toy to spend money on , ive seen some vids of african big game being taken , they are fun hope all that have one enjoy!!!
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

frisky wrote:That stock looks a lot like the Y25 stock :D :D :D
That stock is straight from the factory. I've been thinking of sending my Excalibur to Dave G., who makes custom stocks for the Rapid guns, and others. I think he could make something spectacular.

http://davegcustomstocks.com/rapidmainpage.html
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Thanks for the link brb. I think I have added another hobby to my ever increasing collection. :) I spoke to Dennis and he even previewed the article I wrote before submitting it. Seems like the kind of fellow one would like to call friend.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Boo-- want me to delete this thread?
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger