Just Passin' Thru

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Just Passin' Thru

Post by nchunterkw »

Way to go! great deer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
rander3141

Post by rander3141 »

Congrats, great story and great buck, thanks for sharing, really enjoyed the blood trail.
2012 Eclipse XT
Firebolts with Luminocks
125 gr Rage broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

JohnnyDollar wrote:Do the swhacker broadheads fly close to the field tips? I've been thinking about trying them but haven't seen anything about them good or bad.
Actually, they fly just like my field tips. This one makes the 2nd deer I've shot this year with them and I couldn't be happier. :D Total, the deer probably went 60-70 yds. The first one I got, a doe, went probably about 100, but that was because I hit the heart only. This one I hit both lungs. :wink: I think I've pretty well convinced my brother to start shooting them. :lol: He wasn't with me when I was trailing the doe, but he got to see first hand just what those things will do. :shock:

Thanks again folks! :D I've still got 2 doe tags left. I'm kinda' torn though. I want to try to get them and get them out of the way and start squirrel hunting again, especially with the little dog. But I got that .454 Casull this past spring and was hoping to get one with it. Guess I'll just have to see how things shake out. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

[quote="Big58cal
The first one I got, a doe, went probably about 100, but that was because I hit the heart only. This one I hit both lungs. :wink: [/quote]

The heart is up between the lungs.
Pretty hard not to get lung when the deer is heart shot.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Ont_Excal wrote:[quote="Big58cal
The first one I got, a doe, went probably about 100, but that was because I hit the heart only. This one I hit both lungs. :wink:
The heart is up between the lungs.
Pretty hard not to get lung when the deer is heart shot.

Image[/quote]

Not really. Not when you come in from behind and are low. But since you weren't there and didn't see what all was hit and what wasn't, I think I would know what was hit. :wink:

frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the buck. Tell me do you like those Swhacker broadheads? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Big58cal wrote: Not really. Not when you come in from behind and are low. But since you weren't there and didn't see what all was hit and what wasn't, I think I would know what was hit. :wink:
Sorry, not meaning to criticize, but I guess I did. :oops:
You did a good job and put her down in a hurry and that's all that should matter. :wink:
Thanks for sharing the experience.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

frisky wrote:Congrats on the buck. Tell me do you like those Swhacker broadheads? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Man, I'll tell ya' what....... Not so much with a crossbow, but I've tried quite a few broadheads in the past with a vertical bow and have taken a bunch of deer with them. I've NEVER seen bloodtrails or damage like this with any of the other heads I've used in the past. :shock: Don't know if that says something about my past shooting or these heads. :lol:

Combine that with them being tough as nails, little chance of a deflection, and flying the same as field points, I'm extremely happy with them! :D

Guess ol' Danny Miller might know a thing or two about archery. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Awsome read!

Oh, and that's it... I'm going with Swhacker. Shot Rage 2 blad 100 gr all year last year and had the most diverse results I've ever seen with a broadhead. Done with that. Schwacker looks like the real deal.

OH... and tell me... just how GREAT is it when you have a decent to good blood trail and then you find red carpet that coats a small tree / brush starting at two feet off the ground. Other than the deer, that's my favorite picture.

Thanks for posting the blood trail. I loved it. I"m usually to amped up to bother with photos, but it really helps the reader feel like he's there. I wish folks would video tape their track (if it's a black and white deal like yours).

I have a small vid cam that will be coming to woods with me this year. If I get a for-sure dead deer and lots of blood with plenty of light left, I"m going to video and post the track.

Stay tuned...

Again, great job!

PH80
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"