As a woman, could I span the Matrix 380?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Calcobrena

Re: As a woman, could I span the Matrix 380?

Post by Calcobrena »

TheTinker wrote:My constructive opinion:
Given an average female of the height and weight you posted I would fear the leg which you had in the stirrup would probably have the knee unlock and the butt could well pop you in the chops as the #380 rebounds upward... :(
My legs are the one thing I'm not worried about, though. I actually have pretty strong legs. I do aerobics, dance, and jogging. I'm worried about that last moment where I'll need my arms.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
Tom

Post by Tom »

TheTinker wrote:My constructive opinion:
Given an average female of the height and weight you posted I would fear the leg which you had in the stirrup would probably have the knee unlock and the butt could well pop you in the chops as the #380 rebounds upward... :(
I do not understand the above.

IF a person, man or woman, does not fully insert the foot into the stirrup, then that could happen to anyone. IF you place your foot properly in the stirrup, bend your knees, back straight, grip the string (or rope cocker) and then stand up, I believe that most if not all the strength required to cock the bow will be delivered by your legs. BUt most of all this all depends on your body makeup (length of legs and arms ect.)

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Check your email......
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm 5'6" and can cock a 'Max. With you being taller & much younger than I, and with the Matrix having a shorter draw length, you should be OK

You might have a problem with shooting it in a competition which requires many reps in a short time. I shoot a Vixen and after 50 shots in a row I have a bad case of the shakes in the forearms.

BTW, I think it's more fun to outshoot the competion with a lower poundage bow. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

VixChix wrote:I'm 5'6" and can cock a 'Max. With you being taller & much younger than I, and with the Matrix having a shorter draw length, you should be OK

You might have a problem with shooting it in a competition which requires many reps in a short time. I shoot a Vixen and after 50 shots in a row I have a bad case of the shakes in the forearms.

BTW, I think it's more fun to outshoot the competion with a lower poundage bow. :D
Thanks girl. I wasn't planning on competing. I just want a nice, flat trajectory with a lot of KE to take down a deer when I hunt with my stepdad and brother in law who prefer rifles. :) I am going to do that little test at the gym to see what I can handle and decide if I do alright after that. :)

If I can cock it, I'll post a video :) If I can't, I'll post a video of me throwing a tantrum. LOL!
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Calcobrena wrote: If I can cock it, I'll post a video :) If I can't, I'll post a video of me throwing a tantrum. LOL!

Either way a video will prove interesting
:mrgreen:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Try this method, sit in a chair with no arms to it. Put foot into stirrup have shorten up yer rope cocker. Extend yer leg usin its muscles to cock the Excal vs yer arms n back
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome, i think you will do fine with the matrix, it seems intimating at first, and then when you cock it, it's like that wasn't so bad. good luck, and keep us posted.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

TheTinker wrote:
Calcobrena wrote: If I can cock it, I'll post a video :) If I can't, I'll post a video of me throwing a tantrum. LOL!

I like the way you think. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

As per VixChic's assessment ( she has lots of experience with Excalibur crossbows )> I don't think you will have a problem cocking the Matrix 380 with a cocking aid .

If string aid turns out to be too much , then Crankaroo will do it for you .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Cocking a 260 lb bow once may not be a problem, cocking it repeatedly - like to practice - may be. I once owned a 250 Equinox but found the cocking effort for repeated cocking demanding enough that I traded down to a Vortex. However, the 175 lb Phoenix is the bow I shoot the most for practice. While trajectory is certainly a consideration, the advent of variable scopes with multiple aiming points makes it less of an issue. Currently shooting 3 bows at 300, 320 and 355 velocity. By using variable scopes, they all shoot to the identical point of impact with their respective aiming points. And, by the way, all produce sufficient kinetic energy to result in complete arrow pass-through a deer at 40 yards. I can hit targets well beyond that point but 40 yards is my self imposed limit for LIVE targets. Too much can go wrong between the trigger pull and arrow arrival at target given the difference between arrow speed and the speed of sound. i.e ALL crossbows are noisy and sound travels TWICE as fast as the fastest arrow extant. Personally, I'd rather be shooting a bow that I am initiative familiar with because I shoot it a lot, than one with a flatter trajectory that I am not proficient with.
Suggest you find a shop that will allow you to cock some recurve bows of varied poundage, then decide if you have sufficient power to cock 260.
I commend your choice of a recurve, and specifically Excalibur, as a chpoice of low maintenance, rugged bow. Best luckl
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum & keep us posted on your progress. :D :D
Good luck!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

Calcobrena wrote: I really want something that can keep up with my step dad and brother-in-law who generally use rifles for hunting but I just don't care for shooting guns nor the lack of sport in killing an animal with one.
you want to keep up with people who use rifles, with a crossbow???
i hate to say it, but you wont get near the performance of a rifle.
a rifle may be the "safer/easier" alternative for hunting with, as opposed to cocking a high poundage crossbow. especially if your unsure about it.

if you can cock the vortex easliy, then i would suspect the matrix 380 is ok for you.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

Pydpiper wrote:
TheTinker wrote:

I like the way you think. :D
video please ;)
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

i will give you a simple piece of advise.. go to a local bow shop,tell them you are interested in purchasing a matrix but your concerned with your possible ability to cock the xbow.. ask them if they have one on display that you could attempt to cock and see if it will possibly be an issue for you in the field.. if you can cock it alright without any real issues, purchase it, if not , well ya got your answer.. i am sure that any bow shop will allow you to do this considering they a) allow people to shoot/try compound bows in their indoor ranges, etc ; b) they would benefit if you proved physically able to cock the xbow in that they could be aiding you in a bow purchase.. either way, head to the shop ( any in your area), even if it is a little bit of a drive.. when spending, sorry, investing that kind of money you wanna make sure you are 110% comfortable and able to operate it as safely and efficiently as possible..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade