Deer Hunting In Years

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

Re: Deer Hunting In Years

Post by dutchhunter »

30 years for me . and i canstill remember going on the first hunt with my grandad and all my uncles .. I can still remeber my granddads last deer at the age of 80 he could still shot that old shotgun . after he passed we all started to go are own way and hunt with different groups .still have a lot of fun chasing whitetails but the good old days ae alwasy in the back of my mind . we had very big dinners at gramas houes every day of the one week season . i still have a hard time figgering out how we got so many people in her small kittchen .but we did . i am still able to hutn the same places today that we hunted back then and just love it .now i am working on getting my kids in to thedeer hunting thing but the re teens now and always seem to have somthing going on . DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I'm the same as Dutch, 30 yrs, great to see all the experience we have in here.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

Killed my first deer at 22 while in USAF in S.Dak. then didn't really hunt them much with success till I was 33 and Virginia opened up muzzleloader seasons an now allow crossbows for anyone with a license. So around 30 years all together.

I now average 3-4 a season, but last year an one other season I got 5, so tagged out on my side of the mountain. 8)
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

dutchhunter wrote:30 years for me . and i canstill remember going on the first hunt with my grandad and all my uncles .. I can still remeber my granddads last deer at the age of 80 he could still shot that old shotgun . after he passed we all started to go are own way and hunt with different groups .still have a lot of fun chasing whitetails but the good old days ae alwasy in the back of my mind . we had very big dinners at gramas houes every day of the one week season . i still have a hard time figgering out how we got so many people in her small kittchen .but we did . i am still able to hutn the same places today that we hunted back then and just love it .now i am working on getting my kids in to thedeer hunting thing but the re teens now and always seem to have somthing going on . DUTCH
good to hear Dutch and a great story.. those "good ol" days are what keep some of us going... i still remember hitting alot of the back trails with my grandparents grouse hunting.. that was literally half of my life ago.. ( turning 36 this year).. i still remember, as i hope i always will, my first hunts with my dad and my mom.. NEVER GIVE UP ON THOSE KIDS OF YOURS DUTCH... i know, they're getting to the age they have friends/girlfriends/jobs, whatever it is that keeps 'em occupied.. but one day they may surprise you and say, "sure dad, i'd love to go"... it's gonna be then that the outdoor life will have a whole new meaning.. my oldest boy ( stepson actually) is turning 10 this year, and he's showing more and more interest in coming out with me... gonna get myself a 2 man ladder stand this off season and start introducing him to hunting more.. took him 2 times the past couple years and although he got bored fast, he was great company and i still dream of the day i can share a treestand with my boy(s) ( got 2 boys and 1 girl) and girl, see them get their first deer, first miss, first turkey, etc.. the old days are what remind me of what got me into this great sport, the dream of hunting with my kids is what will have me hunting for the rest of my god willing life.. can't wait to hear of success stories of you and your kids hunts.. :D
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

34 here, god willing 34 more
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Thinkin 45 so far, not gonna make it 45 more :mrgreen: Most were archery hunting....
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

There was a couple years when the kids were young that I didn't hunt much but for the most part I've been at it for 35 years. Good times. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

j.krug wrote:There was a couple years when the kids were young that I didn't hunt much but for the most part I've been at it for 35 years. Good times. :)
i hear ya there.. i thought , after having 3 kids, that i would see very limited hunting time.. but god graced me with a great woman, and she lets me get out as much as i can ... still make it out once per week, i try to get out more, but i feel bad for leaving her with the kids..lol...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

It will be 50 years in April. Been a long time.
secret

Post by secret »

This year {2012]its 33 for me.
Last edited by secret on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

39 years for me and I can't thank my two older brothers enough!
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Got one day left in this season, and useing all my fingers and toes a few times, I came up with about 51. Can't wait till next year!
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
frisky

Post by frisky »

I counted up 56 years. :D If I wasn't in the US ARMY it would have been 58. :shock:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Subtracting a handful of the Army years, then 29 years for me.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
DeerDestroyer

Post by DeerDestroyer »

Thanks Geodehunter for the info back concerning the crossbow maximum poundage in Illinois.
Wow, reading all the great posts got Me to thinking about My first trip deer hunting some 40 plus years ago with my Grandfather. No deer much around here then. An old farmer up in the next county invited him to come up to his farm. I got to tag along as another set of eyes for him. He was not able to walk due to a mild stroke, so We pulled up beside an old barn and watched a large field. We had been there probably an hour or so when I looked up and spotted a buck crossing that pasture. He took aim with a borrowed 270 winchester and pulled the trigger. I can remember that deer jumping straight up in the air and laying down beside a fence at the top of the hill about 300 yards from us. I remember him letting Me look through the scope at the deer as it layed there.
All of a sudden, the deer jumped back up and took off. My Uncle came up and We looked for that deer all morning and never found it. Bad ending but it hooked Me for life deer hunting. I have been fortunate myself to share many memories with My youngest daughter over the years. She started when she was 10. Now she's 18 and We still go every chance We get. Thanks for stirring up the memories for everyone.
"In a World of Compromise, Some Don't"

Exomax
Boo String
Firebolts
Grim Reaper Heads