Something different for the stirup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: Something different for the stirup

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
First off, it all looks pretty good. But second, my only worry would be about the dampness staying in the paracord and allowing rust to start on the foot stirrup. Is there anyway to be sure that the foot stirrup would not rust with the paracord covering on it. I would like to pot the paracord covering on myself also but I would not want a foot stirrup with a rust buildup on it.
Thanks,
Raymond
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I believe they are aluminum
Tenpoint Matrix
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Cool, that is all I needed to hear. I will be doing mine soon. Thanks for clearing that up Dereck. Never even thought to ask or to check on that. But you are correct. My young old thinker doesn't work so well anymore.
Thanks,
Raymond
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

If you want to do just a simple wrap like mine, this is how you start it off
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Here is a web site with paracord, 100 ft. for $5 and free shipping. I do not think it is the real paracord but if you do not want the real stuff it is cheaper. There is other stuff there also, I was browsing the net the other day and came across this.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0&manual=y

Raymond
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Yup, at that price and free shipping I would bet my pay its not real paracord. I pay $10 for 100ft which is the best price I have seen here in Canada, and more if its the reflective cord.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great ideas everyone it looks like people have some very interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

I checked vane clearance with my stirrup wrapped with the paracord cobra braid and the 2" Blazer vanes DID make solid contact with the stirrup!

I removed the paracord today. :oops:

If you do wrap your stirrup please take a minute to check clearance. I simply reversed an arrow on the rail and moved the fletching over the stirrup to check and it was making solid enough contact to bend the vane. I'm sure I would have been scratching my head if I hadn't checked and tried shooting the bow. I would guess it would deflect the arrow enough to make accuracy suffer.
wabi
taz3

Post by taz3 »

wabi wrote:WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

I checked vane clearance with my stirrup wrapped with the paracord cobra braid and the 2" Blazer vanes DID make solid contact with the stirrup!

If you do wrap your stirrup please take a minute to check clearance. I simply reversed an arrow on the rail and moved the fletching over the stirrup to check and it was making solid enough contact to bend the vane. I'm sure I would have been scratching my head if I hadn't checked and tried shooting the bow. I would guess it would deflect the arrow enough to make accuracy suffer.
Not to worry, with the storm coming and no internet, you'll have plenty of time to redo it!J/K :shock:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wabi wrote:WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Good catch there wabi.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

mine is not fancy but i used rubber gas line cut down the middle and wrapped with 4 zipties. I am in the elements too much to put some nice paracord on so with this I can just wash off and no scrapes or scrubs. Works for me,
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

For those that are shooting 4" vanes does it clear or does it touch also. What other material could you use?
Thanks,
Raymond
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I use Camo Form wrap on mine. Also useful for D-Bars, Scopes, etc.
Bit of noise reduction as well as protection.

http://www.mcnett.com/Camo-Form-Protect ... -P274.aspx

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Raymond wrote:For those that are shooting 4" vanes does it clear or does it touch also. What other material could you use?
Thanks,
Raymond
On a simple wrap like mine the original vanes that came on my firebolts there is enough clearance, I was smart and checked it, but when I switched to blazers not long ago I was dumb and did not check clearance :oops: good thing Wabi was using his head. After checking using the Blazers the blazers just just barely clear my wrap. Am not too happy about that so I guess I will be cutting it off .
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

This post is touching on a question I have had for awhile.

What is the "strongest" string out there?

Is it paracord, rock climbing or a pull cord type?

I stopped at the outdoor REI and they say rockclimbing rope is the best. The local Army/Navy store says it paracord. A stop at Stihl and sales rep said pull cord will take care of most jobs.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
Last edited by JT of PA on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.