Is this acceptable?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

filly

Re: Is this acceptable?

Post by filly »

Got a 2-7x32 Nikon ProStaff...should I put it on? I'd like a fixed power, however.
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I would try it to see, maybe try some other rings if ya have them. I didn't use the rings that came with the bow, had aluminum vertical split rings on hand.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

filly wrote:Got a 2-7x32 Nikon ProStaff...should I put it on? I'd like a fixed power, however.
Absolutely try it. I also suggest also ditch the Excalibur rings for some Leupold rifleman detachable low rings. These are the rings I use for mounting my Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope on my Matrix 355. I set and leave my scope on 4x.

I feel once you discover its the scope you will be happy with your Nikon ProStaff scope.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
strum

Post by strum »

filly wrote:I think something is awry with the bow because I'm not getting good groups, and I'm shooting from a rest. Scope is rock solid with no noticeable play anywhere, but my groups are maybe 3 inches at 20 yds.
what the guys are saying is ..take the stock off and look at the trigger mount screws. youll see them .one behind the trigger and one in the front of it .
your scope is connected to the rail which is connected to the trigger unit.
..if the trigger unit is loose or maybe a small piece of plastic has gotten in between it and the rail during assembly then that's your problem..
you have to take off the scope mount to get the trigger unit out and since you tried and could not get those screws out .. at least check the trigger screw tightness. .
also check any other screws on the bow such as the riser to rail mount screws located under the front of the rail..
where are you located?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
filly

Post by filly »

Man, I am at the end of my rope messing with this thing. Probably 5 or 6 hours over the past couple of days...the last hour outside at 9 p.m. in 28 degree weather. I'm giving up.

Put the Nikon on and some weaver rings. Really had to crank down on the turret to get the elevation right. When sighted in, next shot would be off an inch or so. Next one might drop 3 inches. Some right, some left. Damn thing won't group. And with the Nikon on top, I don't think I can point to the scope.

I did go in beforehand and check on the trigger assembly. Weren't "loose," but I could turn the bolts maybe 3/4 turn till truly tight. Anyway, no improvement in the groups.

I can't figure out what might be causing this. I'm ruling out the scope now. Everything is tight, too. This is the Axiom with the nylon rail, but man, that thing is solid. I can't see how it could flex during a shot. It's supposed to give the same accuracy as the other models but just allow you to save a bit of $ by not being machined aluminum. Anyway, I'm at a loss.

Gonna call Dan again in the a.m. and let him know what's going on. I assume he's gonna tell me to send in the bow. I'll tell you I'm thinking of sending him the $ difference and picking up an Exocet to get out of the SMF rail material.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Wow not the scope. OK, so let us know what happens with Danny Miller's advice.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
peter p

Post by peter p »

Try turning the scope rings around.
I know you said you switched from front to back but you should also spin them.
So... if you are having trouble with the lock screw on the right side of the bow, spin the rings so the lock screw is on the left of the bow.
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

Hate to hear you having all that headache. Like you say, the SMF is solid, unless yours is a defect of some sorts. I actually looked at a Phoenix but preferred the ibex. Keep us informed.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
strum

Post by strum »

calling danny is the right/next step. something is defiantly ary .
let us know how your results when you get it back man..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. Accuracy issues are the most frustrating but they are typically not that difficult to figure out. Do the following:

1-Makes sure every thing is tight.
2-Shoot just one arrow and see if it will group at 20 yards. Use field points to start.
3- If the one arrow groups you have some bad arrows.
4- Make sure you have the rope cocking aid hooks tight against the rail before pulling back the handles. This is a very common issue, if you don't cock your crossbow straight it will not group.
5- If it still will not group after doing all of the above it has to be the scope.

The crossbow itself rarely can cause accuracy issues. If the tiller is off (one limb stronger than the other) you will notice problems with broad heads. The string will look like its on an angle going across the top of the rail if the tiller is real bad.
The rail either synthetic or aluminum does not do much and I have never seen one cause and accuracy issue.

If you are still having issues please call us 800-463-1817. We have not been stumped yet! :D

Peter
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks everyone for the help, and thanks Peter for the reply.

Well, I'm off today, so I just came in from tinkering some more. I selected one arrow and took 4 shots. The first two were dead nuts, same hole. The second two, same deal, just an inch high and left. So, 4 shots, same arrow, 1" group. What's the verdict? Acceptable?

This was with the Excalibur scope and rings.

Now, this still does not address the fact that I had to shim the front ring. It is currently shimmed with a piece of spent 12 ga shotgun shell. Without this, I would be at max adjustment in elevation. With the Nikon I put on last night, I also had to crank down the turret more than I'm comfortable with so I took it off.

So, it seems my bolts vary a bit in either weight/vane placement to give me the varied POI's I was having. Not so much a big deal, as my plan is to do what I did just now in 3 minutes...pick one arrow, get it dead on with a click here or there, and put my broadhead on it. I'll use just that arrow till its vanes are compromised and then move on to the next one. It will probably take me years to get through the 14 bolts I have. Then I'll send 'em all in to be refletched.

So, all that to say that my only issue here is the elevation/shim "problem," if we call that a problem. Any thoughts? Doesn't look like a different scope is going to fix that. The bow just simply shoots high a bit.
filly

Post by filly »

The ones that ship with the Axiom. Forget the name. 150 gr field tips. Gonna give Dan a call around noon...
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Call Danny Miller he will fix this for you. Probably have to send it too him. His turn around time is awesome. If the arrows you have are all Excalibur I would send them too.

I would not be satisfied with your results in accuracy nor the need to use a scope shim.

Andrew

filly

Post by filly »

Didn't want to leave you guys hanging, so here's where I'm at. Called Peter from Excalibur and we agreed that I would use it as is (my preference) until deer season is over, and then I'd strip it down, check for any burrs around the mounting holes, reassemble, remove the shim, and see what the results are. If I'm in the same boat, I'll just send the whole deal in and have it looked over.

Either way, very satisfied with the customer service, and I know come February, it'll be purring like a charm. For right now, however, I'm ok with the shim and my 1.5" groups at 20 yds to finish out the season.