Things Used But Not Designed For Hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mblaney

My wife

Post by mblaney »

MY WIFE!
I don't usually use her for hunting but at least she can hold the light while I am dragging my deer out! :lol:

Corny, I know but could not help myself. She helped me one night a few years ago - long drag and it started to rain, then wind, then a full blown thunderstorm. We had to cross a 5 acre pond on a beaver dam and there were whitecaps pounding on our feet. Really funny story now!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

saxman wrote:So what I did was to take a 2 liter pepsi bottle,fill it about 1/3 with water, turn it upside down and let that part freeze.Then turn it rite-side-up and leave it in the freezer,the frozen water is now suspended in the top of the bottle.
That is a fantastic idea, but I'd be worried about the ice falling on it's own somehow and then you'd end up throwing out good meat. A similar, but safer method might be to stick a colander over a bucket and throw a bunch of ice cubes in the colander. Then you'd have physical integrity ensured, right?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Corvus wrote:
saxman wrote:So what I did was to take a 2 liter pepsi bottle,fill it about 1/3 with water, turn it upside down and let that part freeze.Then turn it rite-side-up and leave it in the freezer,the frozen water is now suspended in the top of the bottle.
That is a fantastic idea, but I'd be worried about the ice falling on it's own somehow and then you'd end up throwing out good meat. A similar, but safer method might be to stick a colander over a bucket and throw a bunch of ice cubes in the colander. Then you'd have physical integrity ensured, right?
With the bottle upside down it would take the shape of the top of the bottle.(tapered) Turn it right side up and if it melts and re-freezes there will not be a taper. Just flat ice.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Ziplock bags for anything like partridge breasts? Also for holding toilet paper from getting soggy, Your hunting buddies will almost kiss you for a dry piece of bum wad. Classic Immodium commercial one day, walked by my buddy who was all bent out of shape, and had a big mess to clean up and leaves were not going to cut it. he had used all his kleenex, that were wet, and was just about attemting to use one of his socks when I came to the rescue. When he seen the ziplock baggy with toilet paper he has always caried one since!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
dsr

Post by dsr »

Carry a couple of empty bread bags and a pair of dry socks in your pack. If you get a soaker put on the dry socks, pull the bread bags over your dry socks before pulling on the wet boots.

Melt some wax and dunk some matches in it.When the wax hardens you have waterproof matches. Carry them in a film cannister.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Arkbow

Items

Post by Arkbow »

You will laugh at this one but,

fill a zip-lock baggie with lint from the clothes dryer; instant fire starter; just get some small sticks, put the lint between them and trust me ,all you have to do is just touch the lint with a match or lighter and you have an instant blaze; try it and you will see 8)
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

It rain so much here during hunting season that I like to cover my feathers and instead of using zip lock bags I use baby bottle liners. They fit perfectly over your feathers all I do is slide one on and then put on small elastic band to secure the open end. A box of 100 costs next to nothing. :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all

Arkbow:
it's sound like a very good idea friday sept 29 i am leaving for moose hunting and i will try your trick

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
TPM

Post by TPM »

I like to use film canisters for pre-measured black powder charges for hunting with a muzzle loader.
My wife uses corn oil as a face moisturizer when she's hunting in the cold, dry weather. She' says it does a great job keeping her skin from drying out and has no offensive odour for the deer to pick up on.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Tell me more about the MP3 player with game sounds on it, and wirelwss speakers, this sound neat, however I have not seen one work with an mp3 player. ANy Ideas I am picking your brains!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

When my wife and I were married, North Carolina required a blood test, available at certain local health departments. In addition to providing the required test and certification, the nurse practitioner at the one we went to stuffed a brochure about avoiding STD's in our hands and handed us a paper bag filled with several hundred brightly colored condoms in red, green, blue, and yellow ... festive colors for the big event, I suppose.

We were to be on "The Pill" once we were married, and as we had actually decided to wait until that time, we had no use (within intended specifications) for the free rubbers, either before or after the ceremony.

As I was a veteran muzzleloading hunter, though, I immediately recognized one practical use for the latex contraceptive devices.

Yes ... you can imagine it, I'm sure ... me sitting out there on stand with a brightly colored condom adorning the muzzle of my trusty smokepole, complete with reservoir tip! Not only did they keep my powder dry on rainy days, but they were lubricated too ... all you had to do was pull the load at the end of the day, wipe the barrel down with the rubber, and you were good 'till morning.

I used up the green ones first.

Still have some red ones.

Grizz
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

good one Grizz :lol:
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

I use a few things,

A crazy carpet with tarp groments pounded into the sides. You can usually get a few cheap at the end of the winter. We sew the deer into the carpet & it realy helps when sliding the deer out. I hide a few crazy carpets throughout the hunting area & then dig them up when I need one - saves carrying it around.

Plastic nalgene water bottle - I keep one in my pack just for pee. If I have to go I fill it and then tuck it into my coat to warm my hands with.

Calf starter - I can get an 80 lb bag for around 12 bucks - makes a great late season attractant. Works great & is cheaper than the deer feed.

Cordless drill - I drill pilot holes when placing tree steps. - Saves time & effort. A big nail through an old hatchet / hammer handle makes a great starter hole for steps too.

Duck cord - I use decoy cord marked at 10 yard intervals and wraped around piece of plywood to measure distance before the season. - I tie it were I sit in the tree & it helps in clearing only brush required to make good shoting lanes - keeps the lower branches undisturbed.

Wire rope emergency saw - I tie about 10 feet of cord to each end and attach a small piece of brick - I throw the brick over the branch that needs to be cut and the saw it off - Saves climbing the tree.

410 casing - Works great as a blunt - just trim down and hot melt onto a field point. Perfect for grouse and bunnies & aviods arrow loss while stump shooting. Not good for squirels on a tree - sort of make a splat.

Old sock with foot cut off - I tape my grunt call to the sock and then slide it up my forearm - holds my grunt in place so i can access while holding my bow.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

A.W wrote:With the bottle upside down it would take the shape of the top of the bottle.(tapered) Turn it right side up and if it melts and re-freezes there will not be a taper. Just flat ice.
Ah - I hadn't thought about verifying the shape of the ice in the event that it falls inadvertantly. It IS a great solution! Thanks
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

I don't have anything else to add to this topic at the moment. I just wanted to take the time to thank A.W. for starting this thread. It is interesting and informative and I've picked up a couple of good ideas. Thanks again for thinking of this topic A.W. and thanks to everyone that took the time to post their items. I would venture a guess that I'm not the only one that has profited from it.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog