Rule Set for Deer Teams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

It was fun, Tyler and I had a great year. But that was the main purpose wasn't it, just fun :D . I'll say this, if when a deer stepped out and you had to base your decision on whether or not to shoot was based on the contest,.....well you took it a wee bit too far. Thanks for keeping us in check Kenton.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

raydaughety wrote:It was fun, Tyler and I had a great year. But that was the main purpose wasn't it, just fun :D . I'll say this, if when a deer stepped out and you had to base your decision on whether or not to shoot was based on the contest,.....well you took it a wee bit too far. Thanks for keeping us in check Kenton.

God Bless,
well said, I didnt change my hunting based on the contest and I doubt anyone else did. It was just made up to be a fun experience for the members here. Afterall, the winners get bragging rights and nothing else LOL :lol:

The best way to keep everyone happy is to leave it alone. I know some complained about a 2 week rule, so maybe next year just have that all deer need to be submitted at the end of your season or by Mid feb(whenever all of the deer seasons close).

other than that, its been fun and hopefully we do it again next year 8) :D

besides, the forum members here may have took about .009% of the total deer killed this year :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I read all the posts y'all made. My 2 cents on the rules as such. I am a meat hunter! First come first served! I have 3 Buck tags and more Doe's than i care to clean. So the contest made no difference on what i harvested or didn't. Deer population is low in my local area, so i was very glad to get those i did get. I saw only one decent Buck and couldn't get a clean shot on him with CB. I hope everyone enjoyed their hunting season, i sure did. I am glad to have helped my team and waiting on this coming season.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

crazyfarmer wrote:
raydaughety wrote:It was fun, Tyler and I had a great year. But that was the main purpose wasn't it, just fun :D . I'll say this, if when a deer stepped out and you had to base your decision on whether or not to shoot was based on the contest,.....well you took it a wee bit too far. Thanks for keeping us in check Kenton.

God Bless,
well said, I didnt change my hunting based on the contest and I doubt anyone else did. It was just made up to be a fun experience for the members here. Afterall, the winners get bragging rights and nothing else LOL :lol:

The best way to keep everyone happy is to leave it alone. I know some complained about a 2 week rule, so maybe next year just have that all deer need to be submitted at the end of your season or by Mid feb(whenever all of the deer seasons close).

other than that, its been fun and hopefully we do it again next year 8) :D

besides, the forum members here may have took about .009% of the total deer killed this year :lol:
I like the two week rule. it keeps us honest by making us submit our bucks as we shoot them. If we dont have a two week rule hunters could "cull" their bucks by waiting to see if they kill a bigger one later in the year. I still have two weeks of hunting season left, but the two week rule made me submit a smaller buck than I usually take each year because my two week "grace" period was ending. Two weeks is a long time to have if you hunt each day after killing a buck. If I had killed a bigger buck during that two week period I could have submitted the larger buck for the contest. leave the two week rule in, it makes the contest interesting.
In regards to submitting a buck as a doe...this is a deer contest 1st of all. If someone chooses to submit a buck as a doe then so be it. As I see it , a buck and a doe are both deer, and should be treated as such. lv2hnt took a huge buck (for us in Florida anyway) and scored it as a doe on this thread. In my opinion, this was a mistake and I am not sure if he ever submitted a bigger buck after that. It may have hurt his team score but thats the chance you take. If this rule is changed, Team Florida could not compete. Leave the rules alone and let the fun begin!
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Fl, i'd be more than happy to see a 3 day time limit also.. I know most buck contests locally require the deer be submitted within 24 hours :D

either way, the time limit doesnt bother me since if im gonna kill a buck, its gonna be big enough to get somewhat decent points anyway. But thats because we have decent bucks locally here do to management though. Not everyone has those types of areas to hunt though

I doubt the rules change, I dont really see any reason for them changing since its all about fun. If its a 2 week limit still, it should be no reason no one cant get them entered by then. Provided there PC doesnt blow up 2 days before trying to submitt them. :lol:

its nice to see some new ideas thrown out into the open for everyone to atleast consider 8)
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

crazyfarmer wrote:Fl, i'd be more than happy to see a 3 day time limit also.. I know most buck contests locally require the deer be submitted within 24 hours :D

either way, the time limit doesnt bother me since if im gonna kill a buck, its gonna be big enough to get somewhat decent points anyway. But thats because we have decent bucks locally here do to management though. Not everyone has those types of areas to hunt though

I doubt the rules change, I dont really see any reason for them changing since its all about fun. If its a 2 week limit still, it should be no reason no one cant get them entered by then. Provided there PC doesnt blow up 2 days before trying to submitt them. :lol:

its nice to see some new ideas thrown out into the open for everyone to atleast consider 8)
cf,
a 3 day rule might be hard to do if you were hunting for a week in a hunt camp that didnt have access to the internet. The two week rule gives you a chance to get home ,rest, and then submit your buck (s). You have 2 weeks to cull your bucks, plenty of time in my opinion.
Did lv2hnt ever kill a bigger buck than the one he entered as a doe?
jay
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I never did get that third buck Jay. I didn't think I would, but of my two teammates, One (uncle fester) had a nice buck he entered as a doe and the other (nighttrain) had not gotten anything and was not returning any messages so I figured we were pretty much out of the running because the season was almost over.

Has anyone heard from NightTrain or know if he is ok by the way?

So I figured that if I did shoot a third deer it would have to be bigger than the last and I knew I would rather score that than either of my previous two. If my team was closer to you guys in the standings I would have scored that second buck as a buck in a heartbeat but I didn't see any harm in holding out since we were allready out of the contest. Uncle Fester did shoot another nice buck after that but it was never added to our score for one reason or another.

Kenton must have put a lot of thought into the rules and must be very smart because I think it all worked out quite well. The only thing I would change as I said would be to cut down the number submitted to one buck and one doe because more people would be able to participate. I like the two week rule because it forces people to use strategy rather than just wait for the end of the season and submit all their deer at once creating a head ache for the one in charge of scoring and robbing the rest of the forum members of excitment that they would have gotten by following the scores as they came in throughout the entire contest.

I also like that we have time to voice our opinions about the contest and what we would like to see changed or added for next year. I think it will be very hard to make it any better than Kenton's but we should try for the sake of future enjoyment.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

lv2, I too was holding out for one of the bigger bucks in my area but poachers moved in and killed a couple I think and put the others into nocturnal habits. I had to decide weather to post and score a smaller buck or gamble I would take a larger one in the last two weeks of the season. I decided a buck in hand was worth two bucks in the woods. I would only have gained about 5 points for the extra spreads. Anyway, we tagged out and the pressure is on the other teams to catch us.
jay
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

flbuckmaster wrote:Anyway, we tagged out and the pressure is on the other teams to catch us.
jay
I just found out I can submitt 1 buck and 2 more doe for the team member we had that didnt submitt any :lol:

kidding LMAO :P :D

I cant wait to do this next year. To me it just adds fun and something for us to BS and joke about the whole season. The majority of its luck anyway
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I cant wait to do this next year. To me it just adds fun and something for us to BS and joke about the whole season. The majority of its luck anyway
very true CF, after all.... its hunting and you never know what's around the next tree. I wish we had as many deer as you and Rich to whack! But then again, thats alot of deer to clean. has anyone heard from kenton? does he have the latest results? The last ones I remember were a month ago.
jay