Your Voice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Ok, maybe I have missed something here, Kenton you are basically saying that since crossbows are so easy to shoot without having to put the time and effort of countless hours spent on a range to become proficient with it (which is BS) and that anybody can just go into a store, buy one and be hunting the next day with it is the reason vertical bow archers resent the crossbow shooter, simply because they haven’t “paid their dues” so to speak?

Ok…. I can see the logic in that!

I have shot a recurve most of my life. Even when hunting with a compound bow I never used sights but have always shot instinctive. So maybe people who shoot sights on their bows haven’t paid their dues either? I mean really, most the people who hunt with a bow now days have never shot instinctive. They have never had to learn the true discipline of the bow. They have always had the sights to fall back on to take that deer, hog, bear or what ever. Maybe I need to start having resentment towards these hunters because they haven’t paid their dues as I have. I wonder if they could make that ethical shot at 30 yards without the sights on their bow. If they couldn’t then they need to step down and let the experienced hunters who could do the hunting!

Please…. It doesn’t matter if you shoot a recurve a compound a crossbow or carry a spear! It is about spending time in the woods doing something you love to do. Or carrying your kid(s) teaching them what it is to become an ethical hunter. If we fight among ourselves about what the other person hunts with or because they use a sighting aid or what ever anyone else could think to argue about the anti-hunters are going to march right in and take away our rights simply because we were to busy fighting amongst ourselves over stuff that don’t matter to a hill of beans. Please, lets stop this silly stuff and support each other in what ever we decide to hunt with.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Mike P maybe you could write about "This is how to get people fired up." LOL
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Kenton wrote: People think they can dust off their weapon a day before the season opens and ethically shoot a living animal.
Unfortunately for all of us, I know way too many vertical bow hunters (compounds) that fall into the above category. Every year or two I recover an arrowed deer that 'got away' due to poor overall hunting skills. Sometimes its poor shot placement, sometimes it poor tracking ability. Regardless of the reason, it can provide some folks with a poor view of bow hunters in general.

The only real advantage of the crossbow is that you don't have to draw your bow in the presence of the deer. If you consider that crossbows are generally louder than vertical bows, all things become far more equal.

Mike P:
Introducing kids, or any new hunter, is an excellent topic. With a little research you may find out that some states really get it and some states don't regarding youth hunting.

Virginia gets it. 5 stars. Anyone under 16 is allowed to take one doe per season on any day of any deer season that does not count toward their season bag limit. The only limitation is that you have to be hunting in an area that allows antlerless hunting at least one day that year. So, in some areas it may be bucks only for adults. Yet a youth can still shoot a doe.

West Virginia fumbles. 2 stars. Here there is a 1-day youth rifle hunt about three weeks prior to the first firearms season. The nut kicker; the youth can only take a doe. Both of my kids have written off the season as a waste of time. Both would rather hunt either sex with a crossbow in Virginia than doe-only with a rifle in WV. I can't blame them. Both of my kids are equal opportunity, first come first served. But the simple thought that if they see a buck, they aren't allowed to shoot it is just wrong to them. To them, the bucks are being saved for adult season.

My son's only shot opportunity this past season was when three bucks walked within 20 yards during the early doe only season. He is still torqued. :roll:

We should really pressure our local DNR offices to provide youth with every possible opportunity and advantage. Sure, there could be adults that take advantage of the situation. That is no reason to punish all youth hunters for the acts of the few. And even then, wouldn't that still be an adult and kid hunting? Isn't that the goal?

DuckHunt
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I used Mike P's strategy of stepping away from an inflamatory post for a few days. But I just want to stress that I, in no way, have a problem with crossbows. I am mearly trying to demonstrate that some (not me) vertical bow shooters have a problem with crossbows for the reasons I previously noted. I think we are all saying the same thing just in different ways. My point is that a division within the hunting community should not be about weapon choice, but rather should be more about the ethics of the actions that some hunters choose to do.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

MPSNIPER wrote: the mental relaxation of getting away from cell phones / laptops
I agree! I get that feeling everytime I leave my cell phone at home. You know, freedom. I swear it's like I'm a teenager again . . .no one can get me . . .it is a good feeling. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

sumner4991 wrote:I leave my cell phone at home.
Sumner, I think you should take it with you and just turn it off. We should all have a small cell phone with us for the "just in case."

Too many things can happen out in the woods.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:
Sumner, I think you should take it with you and just turn it off. We should all have a small cell phone with us for the "just in case." Too many things can happen out in the woods.
I think it's a good idea to have one on you, too. No one likes solitude more than I do (where I live proves that! 8) ) ... but there are many real dangers in our swamps, woods and pocosins. A cell phone can make all the difference in an area like this.

Even in more settled and gentle areas, having a cell phone available could easily save your life ... or the life another ... or help to avert some disaster.

I think of carrying mine when I'm out as a civic duty. :D :wink:

I have the same idea about concealed handguns! 8)
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike P wrote:
Sumner, I think you should take it with you and just turn it off. We should all have a small cell phone with us for the "just in case."

Too many things can happen out in the woods.
What would Daniel Boone say . . . :cry:

Believe me, when I leave the house without the cell phone . . .it's an accident. I still enjoy that feeling of being away from it. Almost like riding in the car without a seatbelt . . .just a strange feeling that brings back memories of an era gone.

Sure, maybe it's dangerous living on the edge like that. But that's just the brave soul I am. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote: What would Daniel Boone say . . . :cry:
Well, if he'd had a cell phone, Dan'l would probably have said,

"Findley, I'm a-comin' to Kaintuck next week."

or

"Squire, I need some help. I jest kilt a bar."

or

"Russell, I'm surrounded by Shawnees."

or

"Rebecca, I'll be home by Friday. Get out that purty dress."

He'd have used it like the tool it is ... and would have been the same man he was! And I'll bet he'd have shut it off sometimes too! :D :wink:
Grizz
Silverovertime

Post by Silverovertime »

I can remember when, as a much younger man seeing my first T-shaped hand held bow release and wishing they were legal for use by non-disabled bowhunters. At the same time there were those that saw them as the end of true archery. Then those same guys began showing up with releases and these wild looking bows with wheels and then cams and then solo cams with huge let off ratings that allowed them to hold at full draw forever. These innovations in bows have done more to change archery than crossbows (especially crossbows of excaliber type design). Crossbows have been around for centuries and are not some new invention. I am partial to excaliber crossbows because they are more inline with the true form of the origional crossbows, just with better materials that can develop more power and efficiency. The more complex and fancy crossbows with wheels and such do not show any more advancements than the various compounds. In fact all the bells and whistles of wheels and such on modern crossbows would seem to have been inherited from our modern compounds, which the archery fraternity use without hesitation or complaint. Most modern archers are shooting bows that sometime in the past were viewed as totally rediculous perversions of the sport and totally unacceptable--at least till they shot one that is! Lastly do not forget that you can pick up a modern bow and with modern sights, let offs and releases even a crossbow shooter can shoot one. LOL
Time to put another log on the fire!
Exocet 200
Exomax
Matrix 380
Matrix 405
Micro 335
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

To me it does not matter what weapon I carry it all depends on my mood the regulations and who I'm hunting with. Heck most of my buddies laugh when I get picked up to go hunting as I am known to take 2 rifles sometimes 3 (.17 for grouse and such, .243 for deer/pred, and my .300 or .338 for moose/elk/bear) now I'm packing my excal as well. I end up doing my farorite pastime most times regardless of what I am packing thats taking my weapon for a nice nature walk.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece