A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Re: A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Post by taz3 »

Hey Raymond, if you head to the city, see if you have any commercial printers. If you do, ask if they'll possibly give you or sell you some used printing plates. They are aluminum, we you them out here to cover ice huts for fishing. If they have a 40" printing press, you can expect each plate to be about 41x29" and about .012" thick, they (printers) sell them for scrap, usually for $2.00 a plate (for a 28x40 plate). If you were close I could get you some for free, I'm a printer. :(
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

We used to have a printing press in the town of Yarmouth. It was owned by the company called The Vanguard. Now that company was bought out by a major printing company called Transcontinental Media. They are a large company the printing press has been gone for some years now. That's a good idea though. The building is still being used for the weekly shopping flyer's. I know the gentleman that manages the place, I must have a chat with him. Thanks, it's a good idea.
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

You could find some cotton twine and jam it into the cracks.
Just make sure it is 100% cotton so it doesn't produce any chemicals under heat.
Actually any natural fibre would work and may be cheaper than cotton.

I would not paint he wood at all. This way staying away from chemicals.

I would not worry about the wood walls getting off colour with aging or exposure to the elements. The wood is off the ground so it should last a lifetime.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

GREEZE it looks great Raymond. When is the smoking date. Like to see it in action. I like the way you built it, strong and to the point. VERY NICE! Now does the wife like it??? :shock: Now thats important. :D
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Raymond wrote:We used to have a printing press in the town of Yarmouth. It was owned by the company called The Vanguard. Now that company was bought out by a major printing company called Transcontinental Media. They are a large company the printing press has been gone for some years now. That's a good idea though. The building is still being used for the weekly shopping flyer's. I know the gentleman that manages the place, I must have a chat with him. Thanks, it's a good idea.
Raymond
If they're printing weekly flyers, it will be a web press, the plate will vary in size depending on the size of the press, but they'll still do what you need.

Glad I could offer some help.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Wish we were closer - I'd be begging you to run that smoker for us! :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

And I would do it for you once and then tell you to learn with me and use it whenever you wanted to, :) .
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have a few more things to do on it, it takes me time because of my back I can only do so much then I need to rest. I am getting anxious to fire it up also. If it doesn't rain anymore today I am going to get the rack and pole supports mounted and maybe do some more if my back will allow me to do some more work on it.
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

No hurry Raymond. It's a long winter and we have the time.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Ont_Excal wrote:No hurry Raymond. It's a long winter and we have the time.

X2! There are still 97 days until turkey season. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Raymond,
I haven't commented so far, but I've been following the build-along and find it quite informative.
Thanks for sharing it with us!
wabi
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hello Folks,
Sorry that things have been idol for so long with the smokehouse build along. agingcrower, the wife has given her consent, she is quite happy with the looks. I am excited to start using it but it takes me so darn long to get things done. The back has been giving me some real problems. Finally am able to start walking and moving around again. Seen a doctor for my back and they are going to be giving me an epidural injection in the spine every month to three months to try and keep me pain free so that I can continue walking. They told me that I will not be able to do any lifting again, going back to work is out of the question they said. That was difficult thing to hear and handle. They won't operate because there is a huge chance that they can put me in a wheelchair. I told them that if they could take the pain away just go ahead and cut my spinal cord and put me in a wheelchair, most everything is wheelchair accessible today anyway. But they said that might make it worse with pain. Anyway sorry for complaining it just makes me angry and I cannot always say it in person, so venting is a way to blow off some steam so I don't blow up, :) :( :) :( :) :( :x :x . Lets see what I can do in the next few days. I will post some more pictures soon folks.
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Ont_Excal wrote:You could find some cotton twine and jam it into the cracks.
Just make sure it is 100% cotton so it doesn't produce any chemicals under heat.
Actually any natural fibre would work and may be cheaper than cotton.

I would not paint he wood at all. This way staying away from chemicals.

I would not worry about the wood walls getting off colour with aging or exposure to the elements. The wood is off the ground so it should last a lifetime.
I have some material, I believe it was cotton, that was used for caulking the cracks and joints between the planking of wooden lobster boats and wooden skiffs to stop them from leaking before the boats were put in the water in the springtime. After the boats were hauled out of the water for the winter months, they would dry out and the joints would open back up. Come springtime we would have to examine the entire hull and caulk the joints and cracks between the planking that needed re-caulking from time to time. Thank God for fiberglass hauls what a time saver, that wasn't a fun job, but was a necessary job back then. I don't know what would be better caulking those joints or just screw a ripped board over each joint. What do you think folks?
Thanks,
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

That just a thought about an alternative method of sealing.

You can put board over the cracks as you were thinking about doing.
That is called board and batten construction.
The batten being what covers the cracks.
Has worked very well on homes and barns for centuries and is still used today.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Okay folks here is a few more pics. I had managed to get this done on January 17th after it stopped raining. I think that is what screwed up my back. Now I remember, from getting on the ladder and falling backwards. I missed the last two ladder steps, I lost my balance on the ladder, :) :oops: :oops: :oops: :) :lol: . Oh well, I still have my two feet on the right side of the sod, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Double doors with hinges.

Pics of the inside. Room for seven racks high, or can used the poles.

Raymond