....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: ....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Post by amythntr »

wildcatter wrote:
amythntr wrote:
Waif wrote:
IMG_0098.JPG
Boy, there's a topic I like to argue, but not your question....

If available to try out, check into a Ruger GP 100 in .357 model 1707 in stainless with a six inch barrel. A tough piece that follows the redhawk line a bit.
It's weight negates most of a .38 spcl's recoil when fed .38spcl's and the .357 mag. offers plenty of punch for wet work.
Should you find yourself liberated it would work for deer at archery range with practice. A scope and more practice might extend your range,but would be a scoped revolver, a personal choice of the user in the end...
I like it open sighted but only my opinion.
The stock grips on the GP are dog turd type but fit a lot of different hands and soak up recoil.
Aftermarket grips and a front site are easy enough if change is desired as well as not having challenges in some holsters like my five inch, though custom ain't the worst thing...
....now that sure is a purdy lookin firearm!

Anthony :)
It is not just pretty Anthony, the "P" word is PRACTICAL!!!! Like I tried to convey, it is capable of accuracy that can't be matched by many!!! You have your choice of 38 special, which will equal or exceed 9mm power, and much more accurate. Or you have the option of trying some heavy 180 grain hunting loads, to some 125 grain screaming zombie slayer loads!!! But for a first handgun to learn to really hit "ANYTHING" you aim at this is would be my first choice, if you want smaller a 4" in the same thing. But make no mistake, there is no Glock made that will drop pop cans every shot out past 50 yards, this will!!! Everyone should have at least on 38/357 in their collection, it's the most basic all round useable handgun of all time!!

The other thing is like I said I mostly shoot heavy 45 Colt, 454, and 480/475 loads in single actions, or my 460 in the encore, but I don't care how much of a natural anyone is, starting out with one of these guns is a sure fire way to assure you never learn to be efficient, and guaranteed to build many bad habits that will latter be all but impossible to break!!!! But if you want big and bad,,,, just go here but you better hang on! In other words you can forget a goal of this without some smaller baby steps!!
...thanks Wildcatter...I am now leaning toward this baby...I think Hichkok45 ranted and raved about this baby...is ammo pricey and is it available readily?

....should have gotten 3 permits when I made the decision on permits....however cost wise that would have been out of the question...

....thanks for your detailed input, much appreciated!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Anthony,
THIS is the GUN for YOU!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8
norm
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

No matter what anyone tells me ..... I like my Beretta 96 compact in .40.
Everyone likes shooting it, granted it's bigger ( bigger is better right ) ;).
Like carrying it, smaller might get lost.... hee hee.
It's all fun and games til an eye is put out............
My encore pistol is too big to carry other than hunting. ( 15" barrel )
You'll find a couple you'll like ,then collecting them starts also
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

if i had a jersey pistol permit ..... the first thing i would do is move. :lol:

then buy a walther ccp. i love mine.
NFH

Post by NFH »

An important consideration I haven't seen mentioned (although I just skim read) is what are the restrictions for handguns in NJ?
Maximum magazine capacity?
Minimum trigger weight?
Require magazine disconnect?
Without knowing if you must abide by laws that restict the handgun you can buy I will just give basic suggestions for you to consider.
I would strongly urge a new shooter to buy their first handgun is 9mm caliber because of its cheap cost (afford lots of practice) and low recoil.
Polymer frames are now the rage in the handgun world but don't dismiss full metal construction guns. The added weight reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip both of which will help a new shooter keep from learning bad habits. Along with that I would highly recommend a full sized pistol instead of a compact or subcompact. Learning shooting fundamentals is much easier when you don't have finger(s) hanging off the bottom of the grip. You have said you will not be carrying this gun so carry comfort and concealability are not important. Shooting comfort and capacity (if not restricted) are what you want to be looking at.
I have owned dozens of handguns of all types and if I had to choose one for the purpose you outlined or as a general purpose handgun I would choose a CZ 75 of some variant (there are many). Before buying try to find a CZ 75 B or CZ SP01 to hold or even better, to shoot. I would be surprised if you didn't like the way it felt in your hand.

PS - Glocks are typically reliable, easy to operate and relatively cheap, which is why they are so popular with police departments. This leads people to the misconception they are the "best". IMO this couldn't be further from the truth.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

PS - Glocks are typically reliable, easy to operate and relatively cheap, which is why they are so popular with police departments. This leads people to the misconception they are the "best". IMO this couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't agree with this statement but everyone has an opinion like an *******.
Glocks are really reliable, not so cheap, and police depts use them, I believe the thinking is, if I have to use it I'm not looking for a safety. The trigger's the safety. Put your finger on it - it's going to fire, leave your finger off it - it's safe.

Just my own opinion from carrying various guns for 40 years.

I'd still review Hickok 45's youtube site for any gun mentioned
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I myself totally agree with above statement.

My Glock 20 while I love it, its NOT totally reliable. But it's pretty good. I would never trust it for my life because that has to be totally 100% perfect. But darn 15 rounds of top shelf 200 gainers at 1250 fps is a lot of fun to hold in one's hand.

Revolvers are a great first pistol so don't over look the GP 100 like mentioned above.

Go to a indoor range and shoot a bunch that is the best way to take care of things
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I carry a Sig P238 and I have more pistols than an honest man should have. I've carried them all at one time or another. If you can, shoot a P238 and see what you think. Look for Model NBS 12. It is one sweet personal carry, accurate and every easy to cock, which my wife likes. Most small units are hard to pull back. Granted, it is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
NFH

Post by NFH »

Just to reiterate; OP said he has a permit to OWN not to carry. I love small subcompact guns (my Sig P238 HD included) but not for my 1st or only pistol.

I never said Glocks were bad guns or even a poor choice for the OP and I fully admit they aren't my cup of tea (mostly because of the grip angle). However it is no secret they created their namesake in the US by "selling" their guns to police departments for pennies on the dollar compared to its major competitor at the time Smith and Wesson. Now that their brand name is well known they are able to sell to the civilian market in part because "it's what the police use, it MUST be good!"
BTW the "mostly reliable" statement was based on my real world experience shooting Glocks with friends, family and the occasional Joe at the range having trouble. Glock Perfection - not so much...
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Anthony,

I misunderstood when you said you got a permit..I thought it was to carry concealed for that reason I gave you the picks I did as to Kimber, Glock, and S&W.

If I was traveling to a range to shoot and just enjoy the shooting, :D it would be with my Ruger Mk 1 Heavy barrel target semi-auto 22... this one is soooo old I paid $47 for it when I bought at the marine corp depot in San Diego back in 1970... It has provided years of trouble free service with great reliability and accuracy.. I understand 22 ammo can at times be harder to find now "Post Obama" but it's out there still, and you can have alot of practice for yourself and the entire family for less than $ .20 per round.

I did send it back after about 20-25 years of service for "a re-blue job"... They totally rebuilt it including alot of the internal mechanism along with new front and rear sites and charged me a whopping $65 to cover the re-bluing.... Everything else was free. That type service reminds me of a X-bow company we are famiiar with. :wink:

For a "do everything pistol" I have to agree with the revolver guys and the 357 mag. suggestion. I have a 6" Ruger "Security Six" that I have never found an equal too ( includuing a couple Python's and S&W's I have owned over the years ) The Ruger is still with me and many others have just passed thru my hands. :wink: :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I want to thank everyone for their input...my head is swimming...I am not sure if the stores selling pistols in Jersey have any affiliation with a range for me to try out a firearm...I will check and attempt to do that...I really can see how people do own a bunch because it really seems like you cannot have just one!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Anthony, there are a bunch of good ones, stay with the big names in guns, and get one that feels good in your hands!!! Years ago I bought a Desert Eagle 357 Magnum Auto, and when I shot it the grip would pull out of my fingers because the grip was so short, I could not hit a bus at 10 feet. I don't have big hands either! I sold it to my B.I.L and got a Browning which I had for quite a while. Take your time, feel a few, and make sure the gun safety is one you like as well, if it don't feel right, move on.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Anthony, this would be my choice. Reviewed by hickok45.

http://youtu.be/mElslmZN9g4
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Mister B wrote:I carry a Sig P238 and I have more pistols than an honest man should have. I've carried them all at one time or another. If you can, shoot a P238 and see what you think.
X2. When I wanted something a little smaller than a full size frame, I opted for the P938 because I wanted a 9mm. At the same time I picked up a matching P238 for my wife. I have to admit, the P238 is one hell of a gun. The solid metal frame takes away what little recoil there is in the .380. The result is a very accurate very shootable pistol. Though my P938 is nice as well.

If you are looking for a multi-purpose pistol, pick up one of the Ruger New Blackhawk combinations. You end up with one gun that can shoot .357 Magnum, .38 SPL & 9mm. You can then shoot anything from light .38 loads all the way up to .357 hunting rounds and can even shoot cheaper 9mm as well.

As many have said, it is yet another addiction.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here you go Anthony, fits great in your hand, has all the punch you could ever want, very safe, single shot, the rest of the intruders will die from smoke inhalation! Comes complete with a holster, shoulder strap style, and red dot scope. (It's not for sale) for display purposes only! :lol: :lol:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 1.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!