Predator Hunting Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

artifact

Re: Predator Hunting Questions

Post by artifact »

Chad
I am as interested in these posts as you are.
Thanks to the guys that are taking time to try to help you get started, believe me I did a lot of reading to put together what they are telling you and I am reading everything they post.
Pydpiper even had me looking at the .204, but I need another gun like I need a hole in the head. :shock:
Here's something to try for a decoy/distractor.
Tie a couple of feathers onto a short string and attach them to the top of an old arrow or piece of dowel so they flutter in the wind, then push it into the ground. I also used a small barrel swivel so the line doesn't twist up.
Can't get any cheaper than that!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

So I'm guessing that between the two, my maximum shooting distance would be approximately 50-100 yards. What type of gun should I take, a rifle or a shotgun? If rifle, should it be open sights or scoped?

Here is my thinking, If your shots are mostly going to be around 50 yards something like a wide angle 1.5 X 4 would work great, you will be able to pick up a moving dog quick and if you think sometimes you might have 100 yards plus shot, you can always get a variable scope like a 1.5x10 . I use a 3x9 because I had a spare laying around.

I have thought of buying an old combo gun, I've had times where a shotgun was needed but was carrying a rifle, the combo rifle/shotgun has always peaked my curiosity.

The first time I ever tried calling I was sitting in in some brush calling and ended up calling in some crows. After I stopped calling I was sitting still looking up at the crows, when all of a sudden I heard heavy panting. I looked down and saw a yote running right at me, he was so close there was no time to shoot, so I jumped up and yelled at him and he slammed on his back brakes and his front paws were up in the air as he spun around and took off back down the knoll I was on. He made the mistake of looking back at me to see what I was and I was able to nail him in the head. Was the craziest thing I ever experienced in the woods(that and when an owl took off with my decoy lol) my heart was pounding, adrenalin was flowing......I WAS HOOKED!!!
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Carl, I know. I am so glad I posted this thread and very thankful to all for sharing their knowledge and stories.

Bullzeye, that's some good stuff. I'd have liked to see the look on your face as well as the look on the coyote's face when you two realize things were coming close. I'd have also liked to see that owl take off with your decoy. If I were your buddy out there with you I'd probably still be laying there laughing while watching you chase after that damn thing. :lol:

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Lol nothing is funnier than running after an owl while wearing snowshoes.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Bullzeye wrote:Lol nothing is funnier than running after an owl while wearing snowshoes.
I can literally picture it in my mind. Running with your arms raised toward the sky as if you're pleading with God and that owl to stop and drop it. Lol

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You can go to your wifes local fabric or craft store and possiby find something similar to possibly even rabbit fur.. :wink:

Tie it or hang it in a bush near your call if using electronic, or 20 or so yards from you if using a mouth call ... (again aproximately 45 degrees into the wind in case he comes in down wind )

Atttach some monofillament line and trail it to your spot

A gentle tug is not only invisible to the coyote, but effective in getting his attention diverted from you even if there is not enough wind to do it naturally.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

You need a Weazel Ball :mrgreen:

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
artifact

Post by artifact »

He can borrow mine! :lol:
Looks cool and works , but makes a lot of noise!
I just need to figure out how to make it remote controlled so it don't run constantly.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

MTBighorn wrote:You need a Weazel Ball :mrgreen:

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
That's a pretty cool sit Bighorn! I'm glad you put it in the thread like that, that way I can always have it available. I'll be bookmarking that on my phone when I have a chance. That page is awesome!!! I can't believe that he put so many of his own sounds on there for people to download for free. That's pretty awesome!

As for the Weazel Ball, that's pretty cool but unfortunately I'm not savvy with a welder, nor do I have any access to one. I'd really like to do that though, that's pretty cool.

Gene, I really like your idea about a super cheap and easy way to make one. I'll have to hit up the fabric shop this weekend for a scrap or two.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member