Why buy a deer tag?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Post by maple »

Relax guys, we've got it pretty good.

Spending the $34 for an extra tag is a very inexpensive form of entertainment.

It would cost that much taking the wife to a movie and snacks for just a few hours. Yet I can spend days and days of pleasure in the woods for the same amount. What else do you willingly spend that kind of money on without a second thought? A half tank of gas? a 24? a Sunday roast of beef? A tag is cheap cheap cheap! Gimme a break.

As a matter of fact I buy a couple of doe tags as soon as they are available just to have them on hand. And I'm thankfull to be in an area that allows them.

Maple
A.W

Post by A.W »

Ditto on that Maple.

In Scotland you basically can't hunt unless you know the landowner and you're rich.

Fishing is really expensive as well. Just about all the river's, streams are privately owned. (you can fish salt water for free if it's the sea.)

My brother and his angling club went to a small loch (lake) and paid 27 pounds Sterling (Brit money) each for the day (about $2.20 CAN to the pound) Out of 30 members one person caught one fish.

The per diem fees in various rivers can range up to several thousands of pounds. THAT's PER DAY!!

http://www.fishing-shooting-scotland.co ... ng-law.htm

If you think that's bad check this link out. In England and Wales you have to ....Get this.......BUY A LICENCE FOR YOUR FISHING ROD!!!!!

http://www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/ ... egory/957/

Scoll down a little and on the left side there is a section headed "Angling-Home". Under that there is a link to "Buy your rod licence on-line" Click on that.

Guess we have it pretty good over here. :wink:
Last edited by A.W on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Maple ...

What's a "24" :?:
Grizz
A.W

Post by A.W »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Hey, Maple ...

What's a "24" :?:
A case of 24 bottles of beer.

TPM

Post by TPM »

We both hunt with the Gov. 45-70 cal. firearm so we know the humor behind the old western buffalo cartridge. I can see as an outsider how it could look out of place but it was not meant that way and I am sure chris4570 knowing a good bit about the caliber and its history will get the point far sooner then you.
I don't quite get the humour and I do know the history. :?
BTW, the 45-70, while eventually used as a hunting cartridge, was originally a military round.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

A.W. wrote: "A case of 24 bottles of beer."

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Folks just call it a "case" or a "half-case" down here.

Tell me ... is a half-case called a "12" up there? :D
Grizz
A.W

Post by A.W »

Usually refered to as a "12 pack".

rutman

Post by rutman »

Wow!
I've been away from this forum for too long. Probably a couple days without a reply or post. This one is of particular interest to me. I have had farmers/landowners try to get me to rid them of a few turkeys out of season. I get permission to hunt their farms during the season but still told them "no" with an explanation why I could not help with that. The same farmers have grown accustom to deer damage and are happy to see hunters thin them out during the season.
In my area there is one tree nursery owner that has a nuisance deer permit. He hires guys to kill deer randomly throughout the year. Only after the first year he nocked the closest deer yard from 40-50 down to 5-8. This kind of thing is sick in my oppinion. What a waste, when people would be only too glad to pay to harvest these animals at thier cost. They could take some of the tag fee money and buy the jerk a high fence for his crappy shrubs.
THE DEER WERE HERE FIRST AFTER ALL!
As far as I'm concerned deer damage to a farmer is no different than a winter storm is to a store. It's caused by nature and it cost $. Except it or do something else.
Another thing that is a requirement from the MNR is that when you get a permit any animal that falls to the permit stays where it falls. No part of the animals go to the wall or the freezer or it's the same as POACHING.
Most of the people with these type of complaints have alterior motives. I max out all of my available tags every year. How many tags do ya think the complaing farmers buy?. Most of them that I know, ZERO is the answer. It just ticks me that every time a farmer has a problem someone or something else has to pay the price. :evil:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

rutman . . .might want to re-think your post. Farmers in general feed us all. Most are law abiding, God fearing, good natured and hard working.

Sounds like you have let one or two bad apples spoil the crop, so to speak.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

rutman wrote:Wow!
I've been away from this forum for too long. Probably a couple days without a reply or post. This one is of particular interest to me. I have had farmers/landowners try to get me to rid them of a few turkeys out of season. I get permission to hunt their farms during the season but still told them "no" with an explanation why I could not help with that. The same farmers have grown accustom to deer damage and are happy to see hunters thin them out during the season.
In my area there is one tree nursery owner that has a nuisance deer permit. He hires guys to kill deer randomly throughout the year. Only after the first year he nocked the closest deer yard from 40-50 down to 5-8. This kind of thing is sick in my oppinion. What a waste, when people would be only too glad to pay to harvest these animals at thier cost. They could take some of the tag fee money and buy the jerk a high fence for his crappy shrubs.
THE DEER WERE HERE FIRST AFTER ALL!
As far as I'm concerned deer damage to a farmer is no different than a winter storm is to a store. It's caused by nature and it cost $. Except it or do something else.
Another thing that is a requirement from the MNR is that when you get a permit any animal that falls to the permit stays where it falls. No part of the animals go to the wall or the freezer or it's the same as POACHING.
Most of the people with these type of complaints have alterior motives. I max out all of my available tags every year. How many tags do ya think the complaing farmers buy?. Most of them that I know, ZERO is the answer. It just ticks me that every time a farmer has a problem someone or something else has to pay the price. :evil:
Please stop going to the store and buying beef, pork, chicken, ect. as well as corn, bread, veg, ect. ect.

Us FARMERS do not want to feed you any more do it yourself!
rutman

Post by rutman »

For the most part I do. Sorry if I sound so grumpy but NOBODY has the right to cull wildlife. PERIOD
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Rutman.

Quote. Another thing that is a requirement from the MNR is that when you get a permit any animal that falls to the permit stays where it falls. No part of the animals go to the wall or the freezer or it's the same as POACHING. Unquote

They are supposed to let the meat rot?? :shock:

rutman

Post by rutman »

A friend of mine got one for geese. He is the only one that can shoot and they have to stay where they fall. He can't even move them an inch.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

rutman, I can certainly understand where you are coming from . . however, in most cases these farmers are protecting the welfare of their families via keeping the ability to earn an income. If you were in their shoes . . .might be a little different attitude.

It's a tough living. Been there. . .shoveled the stuff. Nothing worse than planting a crop and overnight, something wipes it out. Kind of like losing a pet.

Anyway . . .the farmer that you are upset about, isn't the norm. Even when my Grandad had access to unlimited damage permits(tags), he only gave them out to responsible hunters that were planning to eat their harvest. There was never any slaughter type operations going on at "The Farm". I'm sure it probably happens . . .just not the norm.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rutman

Post by rutman »

I have no problems with the farmers that looking after themselves and alot of my friends are farmers. This game animal thing is different though. I do support farmers everytime I go to the store. Some seem to overlook that. My dad was a farmer as well as a cook for a large institution. Everyone is the same, everyone needs to eat and nobody is any better than anyone else. None of the food I get at the store is ever free. My friends seem to understand that. My beef is only with lame permits and unfair treatment of our wildlife. :roll:
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!