How long can I leave my Xbow drawn?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

How long can I leave my Xbow drawn?

Post by Boltshooter »

I am just getting into crossbow shooting. I will be ordering my exomax in about a week, and have a few general questions I haven't seen adressed on this forum. :D

#1-How long can I leave my crossbow drawn(cocked)? A full day of hunting, or only a few minutes while stalking a deer?

#2-What are the chances of a dry fire causing limb damage (well, I have seen this one adressed, but still not quite sure what to expect)?

#3-I have constantly heard that crossbows are not as flat shooting as compound bows. How can this be possible? The fastest compounds get IBO speeds of about 315, using a 350 grain arrow, while the exomax gets ABOUT 350 fps with the same weight arrow. (I read the thread where the max was tested with a chronograph. You guys take this pretty seriously! :wink: .)

I've been keeping tabs on this forum ever since I became interested in crossbows. You guys really know your stuff. I think this forum one of the things that makes excalibur crossbows the best out there. :D
PS: I'm new to internet forums, so my post format may be a little messed up to start with. :oops:
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
TYE

Post by TYE »

Although I can't answer you questions... I'd just like to welcome you to the forums :)
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

welcome
i dry fired once and damaged/replaced limbs once so in my case it was a 100% chance.
thanks philip
A.W

Post by A.W »

Welcome.

I've had my bow cocked all day...no probs.

Don't leave your bow strung in your car in a hot day though.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Thanks tye and pdislow. . . .I guess I'll just have to be extra carefull about dry fires. By the way, Excal bows are made close to 100% in Ontario, right?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Boltshooter wrote:Thanks tye and pdislow. . . .I guess I'll just have to be extra carefull about dry fires. By the way, Excal bows are made close to 100% in Ontario, right?
Right in their factory in Kitchener. They had an open house a couple of years ago.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

:D Thanks for the info A.W.. . . .I ask because I once purchased a $200 dollar fly rod that I assumed was made locally, then I turned the thing over and there was a sticker that said "Made in Korea". Don't you just hate that? :?
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Just how long you can leave your bow cocked before you begin to lose velocity I cannot say. I don't know how long it can be left cocked before the limbs take a set.

I did test one Horton, one Ten Point, one Barnett, one Parker, and two Excals, took about 8 days and a lot of patience from their owners, with 5 shots immidiately after being cocked and after being cocked for 4 hours. I won't mention brand names and matching results for obvious reasons :)

One picked up an average of 1 fps after 4 hours :shock: I have no explanation.
One lost an average of 4 fps.
One lost an average of 6 fps.
One lost an average of 12 fps.
One was bad at a loss of 14 fps.
One lost 24 fps. This bow also shot about 6-8 inches left after 4 hours.

We are going to do a one shot test after 10 hours sometime soon.

All I will say is that after this test I narrowed my choice of which bow to buy to either a Parker or an Excal. I bought the Excal :D Also, the most expensive was not the best nor was the least expensive the worse.
I never was as good as I used to be.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

I think I understand what you're saying Beaver :wink: . . . .Could you send me a personal message to tell me which one gained 1 fps? I'll guard the secret with my life :wink: .

PS: No problem if you don't think it would be appropriate, just the curiousity is killing me.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Beaver, on second though, no personal message is needed. . . .I think I get the point :oops: .
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Welcome to the forum Boltshooter. Just try your best not to dry fire the xbow, especially the max. Make sure you have the correct bolt wt. I have a suggestion to help you with the dry fire. Take a practice bolt with you when you hunt. After your out of the stand or before you get down, put the practive bolt with the fp in and shoot it into the ground. That way you don't have to uncock by hand. Watch the video you get with the xbow, it will make you much more comfortable with your xbow. Good luck.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
Camper

Post by Camper »

Beaver, Don't hold out on us buddy! this is what this form is for, to share your knowledge and experiences regarding crossbows either good or bad. You won't be bashing crossbow companies, just sharing information on your individual test!!!

I'm really interested in seeing which Crossbow matches the results you posted!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Yeah, come on Beaver! No one will mind. :wink:
gad

Post by gad »

Hey Beaver,

Give us the names. :shock:

please, please, please, I will not sleep tonight! :lol:

Oh yeah, I will sleep, cause my xbows are excals... hehehehe 8)
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Beaver,

You can't give us that info then say you can't tell us which ones did what.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"