NO SUNDAY BOWHUNTING IN THE TOWN OF NEW TECUMSETH

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

NO SUNDAY BOWHUNTING IN THE TOWN OF NEW TECUMSETH

Post by peter p »

The Town Of New Tecumseth just put together a firearm discharge bylaw.
The changes are "prohibit hunting within 100 meters of publicly owned land including roadways; prohibit hunting in all residential areas which are classified as rural residential where hunting has occured for decades; forbid hunting on Sundays INCLUDING BOWHUNTING and forbid target practice.
The Town Of New Tecumseth is in Southern Ontario Canada in WMU 77. This is an area where I bow hunt and take place in the controlled deer hunt.
We have to write the council and let them know this is wrong. This is the link to the Mayor and the council http://www.town.newtecumseth.on.ca/council.cfm
Email each one of them and let them know you do not approve of the firearm discharge bylaw and ask them to bring the bylaw back to council and let the public have some input on the matter, or form a firearms advisory committee to review the bylaw and report back to council.
This is very important even if you don't hunt in that area.
I was sent this information from the OFAH (Ontario Federation Of Anglers And Hunters).

We must all stand up and fight for our hunting rights.
Last edited by peter p on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Done.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Thanks A.W.
peter p

Post by peter p »

One of the council members called me and explained, why the bylaw changes. It was not intended for the hunters but for the people that use their property as a shooting range. Apparently someone was firing hundreds of rounds and people were complaining it was unsafe. It sometimes happened on Sundays so they made a bylaw that stated no discharge of firearms on Sundays. Unfortunately a bow is considered a firearm.
We need voice on this to get it changed. Right now it is illegal to bow hunt in New Tecumseth (WMU 77) on Sundays.
Please email at least one council member from the link from my original post. Dennis Egan was the council member that called me. It would be great if more of us emailed him saying you disagree with no bow hunting on Sundays.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

peter p wrote: Unfortunately a bow is considered a firearm..
Is it the township that is considering a bow a firearm???.. If not, who is?
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

What Techumseth doesn't get is that they have absolutely no power to control hunting. This is a provincial issue and is totally outside of their scope of control. They can ONLY control discharge of firearms, which under the municipal act includes archery equipment.
peter p

Post by peter p »

That's right Bill, but the bylaw states no discharge of firearms on Sunday with no exemptions... so therfore a bow is a firearm and you cannot discharge it on Sundays even for the purpose of hunting.

I hope this gets changed.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Do you think it might soon be unlawful to mow the grass on Sunday there.
Lawn Mowers throw projectiles too, you know.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I find by laws in townships BS!! How can New Tecumseth or any other town change what the federal government calls a firearm? If you don;'t need a valid FAC to purchase a bow how is it a firearm? I think we should all be careful before driving through any towns, for all you know the councilers may have changed red to go and green to stop!!! Where does it end??
Digger

Post by Digger »

The Ontario MNR on p 54 of hunting regs says
information for deer hunters
FIREARMS
Big game, including deer, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows)

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
huntman

Post by huntman »

Digger wrote:The Ontario MNR on p 54 of hunting regs says
information for deer hunters
FIREARMS
Big game, including deer, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows)

Digger
If thats the case then why cane anyone over the age of 18 purchase a bow or crossbow without a valid Firearms Possesion Certificate? Just dosen't make any sense. And also hunting Regs. all say that it is unlawfull to discharge a firearm for the purpose of hunting on Sundays..... Last i checked it's ok to hunt other then in New Tecumseth with a bow on Sunday!!!
peter p

Post by peter p »

LoneWolf,
the provincial government classified a bow as a firearm.
What the municipality should have done was make an exemption.... no discharge of firearms on Sunday except bows for the purpose of hunting.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Yep, I understand what you were getting at now, peter.

Thanks
Ontario Trophy Bucks
paulslund

Post by paulslund »

Huntman:

Page 23 of the Hunting Regs says the following:

"You may not carry or discharge a firearm, except bows or crossbows, on Sunday for the purpose of hunting..."

The Regs also indicate (on page 21) that "Some townships/municipalities have by-laws restricting the discharge of firearms. Check with the local municipal office for details". They therefore acknowledge that municipalities can control the discharge of firearms within their limits.

As for the PAL/POL not considering a bow a firearm, this only means that it was not considered when drafting the legislation (or it was considered and then decided to exclude it). A particular definition in one particular piece of legislation has no bearing on another piece of legislation (especially in this case, because the firearms act is federal, and the hunting regs is provincial). As long as the particular bodies have the jurisdiction to make these rules, they can do it (unfortunately)
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Makes you wonder about some of the crazy laws on the books. In Arkansas, you may hunt crows during the open season, but only Thursday through Monday. Does that make any sense? I some times wonder who is in charge of the assylum? :shock: :( :shock:
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3