BOHICA.....

Post by Woody Williams »

http://www.canada.com/national/national ... bafead1b47

Store guns in central depot

Mayor: No reason to have a firearm at home, Miller says

James Cowan
National Post

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Gun owners in Toronto may soon be prohibited from keeping their firearms at home even if they are properly licensed and registered, Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

"There's no reason to own a gun in Toronto -- collector or not. If you are a collector and you have a permit, the guns need to be stored in a way that they can't be stolen. And perhaps a centralized facility of some kind could accomplish that goal," Mr. Miller told the National Post. "The law requires gun owners to have proper storage, but obviously not everyone adheres to that."

Following a spate of shootings in Toronto, the Mayor has asked city lawyers and the police to determine whether the municipality has the "legal ability" to require individuals to store their weapons at a secure facility such as a gun club.

"It's a very serious issue and I don't have all the answers to it, but I've spoken to the [Police] Chief as well as our own legal department to see what we can do," Mr. Miller said.

The Mayor has repeatedly blamed lax gun laws in the United States for some of Toronto's violence, saying half of the firearms in the city originated in the United States.

While pressing the federal government to stem the smuggling of guns across the border, Mr. Miller said steps must also be taken steps to address domestic gun problems.

"I understand there was one theft from a collector two years ago, where some of the guns were recovered after being used in murders in Toronto," he said.

Police have also speculated a theft in June of 46 handguns, along with three rifles and ammunition, from a collector in Port Hope, 100 kilometres east of the city, has contributed to the recent increase in shootings.

Mr. Miller noted several U.S. cities such as Chicago have passed ordinances restricting handgun ownership. But legal gun owners argue the new rules would only make life simpler for criminals.

"It would just put all the firearms in one place so they could all be stolen at one time," said Eric Greer of the Ontario Arms Collectors Association. "That would be a wonderful thing."

Mr. Greer added the Mayor's proposal would not prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, noting Canada enacted its first handgun registry in 1934.

"It hasn't made one iota of difference. And the reason is the people that registered their handguns don't commit the crimes. The people who commit crimes don't register their guns. It's as simple as that," he said.

Other gun owners said they are tired of being conflated with murderers and thieves.

"There are legal gun owners all over Ontario who don't go around brandishing their guns, who go through the whole rigamarole to get licensed properly," said Bill, a member of the Maple Leaf Revolver Club, who asked his last name not be used citing safety concerns. "The Mayor's not thinking properly."

He added most gun owners would support tough sentences for individuals caught using firearms to commit a crime.

"At most of the clubs, you will hear people say, 'Arrest the guy, look at the law and if the law says to throw him away for five years or 10 years, do it,' " the gun owner said.

Mr. Miller agreed the courts must be more stringent, noting individuals caught with weapons currently are routinely released on bail.

"If somebody has a gun, that's illegal, whether or not they've shot it should be irrelevant. They should be treated like they've shot it and tried to kill somebody," he said. "So when they come to court, they shouldn't get out. They should be kept in court until they're tried."
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

That should solve everything. Geesh........
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Wow that mayor wouldn't last five minutes with talk like that down here in the south. He must be a liberial!! :shock: :shock: How can you own the gun, but not keep it in your home....is he nuts???? Someone should start a petition or something, I'll sign it even though I'm not a citizen. If your not a hunter or a collector and just have it for protection, then how are you suppose to protect your family and home? :? I bet he's one of the ones that helped legalized gay marriage in Canada. Think I would vote him out next term. That really makes me mad, even though it doesn't affect me. :evil:
Last edited by Nudo7 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think this is BULLLLLLLLLLLLL
wilsonj73

Post by wilsonj73 »

While the majority of us here understand that the Mayors idea wouldn't make a difference, we have to remember that a great deal of people don't understand and don't want to and would prefer this type of restriction.

As far as I'm concerned it won't fly.

I'm not sure what's happening in Ontario but in BC, our municipal elections are in November so it's quite possible this is the Mayor trying to look as though he's taking tough action on this issue (Toronto having a lot of firearms related problems lately).

Having worked for municipal government for 10 years, I have heard other ideas from Mayors and Councillors that were just as well thought through and they went the same way... nowhere.

Media fodder is all it is. :?
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Once again Miller operates his mouth before puting his brain in gear. They would have to have staff on 24/7. I don't think so.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Is this the Central gun lockup?

Yes sir.

I have a wolf attacking my lambs. Can I come over and get
my shotgun?

Sorry sir. The Central gun lockup is closed for the night. I'm just
the cleaner.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

How does this stupid knee jerk reaction combat the illegal import and use of stolen guns.

Quote.

Mr. Miller noted several U.S. cities such as Chicago have passed ordinances restricting handgun ownership. But legal gun owners argue the new rules would only make life simpler for criminals.

Mr Miller. Handguns have always been restricted here.

With this statement Miller has just lobbed restricted weapons in the same boat as non-restricted.

Another problem I have with the way it's set up is... Why, along with our PAL licence do we have to carry a piece of paper, printed on a jet printer, (that we are allowed to photocopy) listing all the firearms we own?

If you lose your wallet then not only does your wallet contain your PAL, it also has your drivers licence with address in it and the list of firearms owned. :shock:

Sorry if I went off on a little bit of a rant but sometimes I get a little pissed off with these people.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Exactley AW. Its just like drugs, there illegal. If guns where made illegal would it solve the gun problems???....HECK no!! You arm the crimials and then have no protection. Most of these guns there complaining about are illegal anyway and there everywhere. Before you know it, you will have to carry a permit for you pocket knife or lock it up in a storage facility, along with your guns that the mayor wants you put away. Its rediculious. I really hope this doesn't happen for our Canadian brothers.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
BOB VANDRISH

BOHICA

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

OK guys,our brilliant gov't spent over a billion on gun registry,and it got us nowhere,and now they are going to spend another billion to lock up ALL the legal guns?
That will make it open season on all of us who had legally registered guns,and that would make it easier for all the guys with illegal guns to shoot the rest of us!
Give your head a shake!
Does anyone out there think that ANY of the illegal gun holders would lock up theirs,and go down later to take it out,saying they needed it for a few hours to go out and shoot someone!
How far is this going to go?
I thought Mayor David Miller was born with a brain,but now I have my doubts!!
The black Toronto councillor Thompson had the right idea-if it's blacks doing all the shooting,then round them up and confiscate their guns-forget about racial profiling!!
Is there something wrong with dealing with an issue head on?
They also know that 30% of the blacks between 15 and 24 are unemployed,leading to drug dealings,and stealing to survive-deal with that maojor concern too,and maybe you can think of eradicating this problem instead of throwing political bullshit at the issue!!
That's my three and a half cents!!LOL!!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

What a dumb ass!!!

So come hunting season, we all drive to this building, that has yet to be built, and stand in line at 2am(because it will take them forever to process the release of our firearms), and then turn around(because our hunting local is east of our home but lock up is north west). Then, although we can hunt until 1/2hr after sunset, we need to get our guns back to be locked up by 6pm on Saturdays(because that is when they close). But the line up to have your guns locked up is just as long as it was to withdrawl them so you really can only hunt for an hour or so before you have to drive back and stand in line again. Great idea. :roll:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Yep Fire the Mayor , Seem`s he is a problem .
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

franklinm wrote:Yep Fire the Mayor , Seem`s he is a problem .
If only it were that simple... It's our LIEberal government thats the problem. Unfortunately they've brainwashed most of the easterners (board members exluded) who's vote is the only vote that counts in Canada. Fortunately, this will never happen. Logistical nightmare if nothing else.
peter p

Post by peter p »

We Canadians tend to keep our mouths shut and take it up the a**.
We only complain when it's too late.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

peter p wrote:We Canadians tend to keep our mouths shut and take it up the a**.
SOOO true.... :cry:
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

peter p wrote:We Canadians tend to keep our mouths shut and take it up the a**.
It's never to late Peter. Here in Ohio when our nitwit politicians want to do something stupid like re-route hunting and fishing license money to the general fund rather than to the ODNR and wildlife we organize. Usually the Sportsman Alliance ( a hunting and fishing rights organization) posts something in the paper with a time and date and all hunters and fisherman show up at the state house lawn in Columbus dressed in camo shirts and flouresent orange hats along with the usual signs and banners and voicing our displeasure and concerns about whatever the nitwits have dreamed up this time. This has worked everytime. The new laws or restrictions have been taken off city councils desk. I must say it is an impressive sight to see 500 to 1000 people all in orange at the state house. This may or may not work up in Canada but it will show everyone sportsman are united and they can not count on your vote next election unless they are more sportsman friendly.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

"Michael Savages" book says it all.................Herbinator

I agree with you Herbinator, it is your liberal government at work. This is there vision. Before you know it, you will not have the right to bare arms at all. These people see things in a whole different light. This is what they want. There the reason they made gay marriage there legal too. Its not going to stop there either. Won't be long and your military will be suffering also. There trying to do it here in the US. But we are not going to let them.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA