stupid question.... but help?....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mgoldschmidt

stupid question.... but help?....

Post by mgoldschmidt »

Guys, this is a stupid question, but instead of wondering.....Ill ask... do you all put sharp broadheads on your bolts? or can I still get a kill with the standard "Bullet" shaped head. - or do I need to get longer bolts (arrows) and put on the archary "sharp" heads?

uhhh... do you get all that?

thanks...
Partikle

Re: stupid question.... but help?....

Post by Partikle »

mgoldschmidt wrote: or can I still get a kill with the standard "Bullet" shaped head.
It's illegal to hunt with a field point unless your shooting at squirels or rodents. What state or province are you in?
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you have standard length (20") arrows for your Excalibur, broadheads work fine on them. I wouldn't shoot any animal with a field point!
They might kill small game like squirrels, but they are designed for targets and much more effective (as in humane or ethical) points are available. I use blunts (or G-5 Outdoors SGH - small game head - designed to cut and shock) for small game (squirrels, rabbits, and such), but broadheads are also good. For anything much larger use broadheads only! And I migh add broadheads do not always fly like field points, so be sure and check the accuracy of your setup before hunting with them!
wabi
mgoldschmidt

Post by mgoldschmidt »

thanks- im a crossbow newbe - your help is apppreciated.

I didnt mean to sound like a bonehead - but It help to ask....
Boltshooter

Re: stupid question.... but help?....

Post by Boltshooter »

mgoldschmidt wrote:Guys, this is a stupid question, but instead of wondering.....Ill ask... do you all put sharp broadheads on your bolts? or can I still get a kill with the standard "Bullet" shaped head. - or do I need to get longer bolts (arrows) and put on the archary "sharp" heads?

uhhh... do you get all that?

thanks...
Yes, you can put broadheads on the standard 20 inch crossbow bolts (and even shorter ones; the 16 inch bolts used with some of the Barnett recurve crossbows reportedly give satisfactory performance on deer sized game.)
While I haven't hunted yet with a crossbow, I am by no means new to archery, and I can report that field points (bullet shaped heads) work okay on small game, and turkeys also. :wink: However, never under any circumstances should bullet shaped points be used for any larger animal :!: ---a direct heart shot would kill the animal, but not as fast as a broadhead, and a lungshot would not immediately be fatal, inflicting a cruel wound that would leave the animal to die slowly over the course of days or weeks.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Digger

Post by Digger »

In hunting with any bow orxbow you kill an animal by hemmorage, as the arrow or bolt goes thru the animal it cuts arteries heart and lungs hopefully and the animal bleeds to death in seconds. So the sharper the broadhead is the better. I shoot turkeyswith broadheads also with a zwickeyscorpio.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

There are no "stupid questions"...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Welcome to the forum mgoldschmidt. Your doing the right thing by asking questions. Thats a great way to learn. Don't feel stupid asking. Well all were new at one time or another. We all had to crawl before we could walk. Good luck and keep asking questions. These guys on here can answer them. :D
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]