mechanical broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

manson

mechanical broadheads

Post by manson »

I was buying arrows about a week ago, and the dealer told me that Excalibur doesn't reccommend mechanical broadheads on the bows, Does anybody use them, and why are they not reccommended, I have always used Wasp Jackhammers, (mechanical) and found they shoot well, and provide nice blood trails.
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

The accelleration curve of a crossbow can be so severe that the blades will open prematurely from this accelleration, literally from inertia.

I have heard many say that they double band their mechanicals, but, I know folk that use Rockets and Wasp Jak-Hammers with no problems at all.
I never was as good as I used to be.
Farmer

Mechanicals

Post by Farmer »

I have used mechanicals in myold 165 # Exocet with no troubles. Rockets and the wasp mechanical. I think they recommend to put double bands on rockets at speeds over 290 fps.
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

On targets they fly great.I got some that are to lite so I tried them,with some added weight,at 30 yards the group is tight enough to take off the flights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

My experience has been that Wasp Jak-Hammers shot fine from my Vixen, but the Exocet was too much for them. I did some testing, and it seemed like when I got above 290 fps the chance of opening in flight was too great to trust in them. At 310 fps opening in flight was almost a certainty. Double banding might be a solution, but it might also be a potential problem with proper opening on game, so I switched to fixed blade heads.
wabi
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

the last 10 or so deer I have killed have all been taken with wasp or grim reaper mechanicals-out of 150 vixen, 165 and 175 exocet and an early exomag which I think is in the 185-190 or so range
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
striper

Post by striper »

I have been using NAP Spitfires (125 grain) for 3 years. 5 shots, 5 kills, no premature opening. I do not make any modifications (i.e. bands) to discourage premature opening. My Exocet, using XX75 aluminum bolts and 125 grain NAP broadheads ( total weight -387 grains) provides 295-296 fps velocity at 5 yards. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
manson

Post by manson »

If premature opening from the initial inertia is the only issue, I am fine. I have been shooting the Wasp Jackhammers for several years from my Excalibur Paradox with no troubles. I don't know how fast it shoots, but Excalibur was marketing it as a 300+ fps bow before.
martial

mechanical

Post by martial »

Like striper, i use spitfire 125 grains, on 2216 shafts, and helical feathers.

Precision is extremely good, and never had accidental opening.

Hope it can help you