wild pork

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

wild pork

Post by terry-1 »

I was dieing to go hunting but deer season is still 30 days away here so when I found some fresh wild hog sign at one of my ponds I used it as a reason to go out yesterday evening. I climbed up a old ladder stand about 2hrs before dark and settled in. The heat and bugs were driving me crazy when I looked up and saw two small whitetail bucks watering about 1hr before dark. After they left I figured that had made my evening even if I saw no hogs before dark . About 10 minutes later I looked up and saw about 30 hogs approching fast. They ran up and dove into the pond fighting and grunting and just acting like pigs. After about 5 minutes they started to move out and I eyed a huge 250+lb boar but deside on a eater size hog that would fit on my smoker this weekend for the college football game my buddies were all coming over to see. I took aim with my Exocet 175 and sent a beman/sonic head combo right into this hogs shoulder blowing right through the bone on one side and stopping in the far shoulder with no exit. I hit alittle to far forward but no harm the hog dropped in its tracks I was lucky it was not a big hog their shoulder bone is pretty thick on those big boys. Anyway I have a nice 75lb hog smokeing right now rubbed all down with BQ seasoning after about 14hrs of smokeing it should taste great!! Image
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Super Duper shooting.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Congrats, terry.
Smoked wild hog!.... sounds pretty tasty!....
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations !

That will be some fine eatin I'm sure :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Congrats. I can almost taste it. :wink:
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Looks like a taster terry. We had a trip planned for wild boar this spring, but it didn't work out. Now, we've rescheduled it for Sept. 24and 25. I can hardly wait, I just love Wild Boar.

Must be nice to have them on your property. How do yours taste like? I found the one I shot last year tasted just like top quality pork you buy in the store, except much leaner.

Good luck with the Whitetails.

Grey Owl
terry-1

pigs

Post by terry-1 »

I like the eater pigs around 50lb-125lbs they just taste great and no one that has ate what I cook has not loved the meat. I have shot a few real big boars that the meat had a very strong taste that I was not crazy about so I tend to shoot 75lb-100lb eaters most of the time and let the big ones go by. I love smokeing them whole and then I cut up the left overs in cubes and put it in a pot with BQ sauce amd make BQ with hamburger buns. My mouth is watering just waiting for this weekend. I am sure I will have to sample some about noon tomorrow to make sure it will be OK for Saturday someone has to do it after all. The wild hogs don't stay on my farm all the time they seem to drift through a few times year and hang out for a week or two and then they are gone as they travel long distances looking for food. I see alot more hogs during deer season hitting my corn feeder sites in the winter months.
chessy

Post by chessy »

i wish they were here in ontario ... i love pork
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats Terry. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Congratulations Terry, that sure is going to cook up good on the BBQ. That is one animal I wish I was able to hunt for I also love pork. :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

chessy wrote:i wish they were here in ontario ... i love pork

I believe we do have them out near the picton area ... Not 100% but I believe that they are there................
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I've killed a few wild hogs.......for eating, I'll take a 100 pound hog over a deer anyday!!

Terry, e-mail me some of that pork when it gets done!! :D
tcct2003

Post by tcct2003 »

I would like opinions on taste of farm pig vs. wild pig

Also how do you clean a pig? I always heard growing up about boiling a pig?

Thanks
terry-1

taste

Post by terry-1 »

The taste of young wild hog is not much different then the ones you rasie. The main difference is the meat is alittle leaner overall. Most guys around here skin the hog like a deer, Quarter it up. Then smoke or bake the meat for several hours until tender and then you can eat it as is or strip the tender meat into a extra pot and add BQ sauce and simmer it until it is so tender it falls apart and eat it on buns or just o plate like BQ with all the fixings. Some people have it processed to which is great you get hams,sauge and all the cuts and wild hog usally dresses out to about 50% of its weight so a 250 hog should have about 125lbs of meat when its all done. I like wild hog better then deer and so does my old lady. I just finished stripping my hog after smokeing it last night and am going to simmer the BQ meat over night in a slow-cook-pot for eating on buns with my buddies. We are going to watch alittle OU college football and shoot bows/crossbows after the game for awhile and BS about the up coming deer season. I am sure I will lose $10 at the shoot everyone always throws alittle cash into hat and best shooter whens it all. One of my friends has that new mathews switchback bow and is shooting dime size groups with it he's going to be tough to beat shooting off hand.
chessy

Post by chessy »

bump