Range?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mrxbower

Range?

Post by mrxbower »

Hi all, What would the differance be from shooting from the ground against a tree at 20 30 40 yds. compaired to out of the same tree from a stand 20 feet up?
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

The "Arrow Performance" page on the Excalibur website deals with your question.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
wabi

Post by wabi »

In my experience there is very little change in point of impact. I think a lot of the change you notice with a vert bow is not a result of the trajectory, but a result of changing shooting form. With the crossbow this isn't a big factor. You might hit a little high, but not enough to worry about in most cases.
eg. from 21 feet up a deer that reads 20 yards on the rangefinder would actually be just over 18.5 yards away.
wabi
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Boltshooter wrote:The "Arrow Performance" page on the Excalibur website deals with your question.
Sorry, mrxbower, I misread your question. I think the arrow shot from the tree stand will drop slightly more, because, since the hypotenuse is the longest side of a right triangle, the distance will be a little greater than an arrow shot from the ground. The difference should be insignigicant, however.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Your point of aim from the ground (from the tree base) & from your stand in that same tree should be the same: even though the arrow travels a little farther when shot from the stand. Gravity only influences the arrow on its horizontal travel distance.

If you are 30 ft up in a tree & shoot straight down the arrow travels 10 yards but the distance gravity works on the arrow is Zero.
Get out & Enjoy.
chessy

Post by chessy »

bump