Broadhead vs field points

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DyHard

Broadhead vs field points

Post by DyHard »

I'm currently shooting the stock carbon arrows with field point that came with my ExoMag.
My question is how much different is the flight path from FP to standard Wasps of the same weight.
And what would be a suitable BH home made target.
Thanks DyHard
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I use the cabons with field points and also the wasp boss heads. They hit the same spot each time. No difference in point of impact.

A great homemade target for field points is a feed bag stuffed really tight with old shopping bags. I saved all my grocery bags for a year and just tried it out on the weekend. At 20yards the bolts were only going into the bag 3 inches.

For broadheads I used a 2ft x2ft block made from that high density insulation board (blue stuff). Wrapped the block with duct tape to hold it together.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DyHard

Post by DyHard »

Thanks for the input, I have bag targets that get me thru with the FP. I may try making something for the BH with some similar materials.
DyHard
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I found the only problem with the rigid insulation is that it is tough to pull the bolts out. I may try putting some lube on the bolts to help in removal.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

When it comes to foam, I've just learned that automotive foam ( energy obsorbing) works great. A friend of mine got some test samples from his company, they stoppped every crossbow at 30yds with ease. What got me was that the bolts passed threw the 6inch target about 3-4 inches but pulled out with such ease ( once the broadhead was removed).
striper

Post by striper »

Guys: I have found that with my Exocet and NAP Spitfire broadheads (125gr.) the braodhead impacts 1/2 inch lower than with the field tip. The only reason I say this is that my Exo is so reproducible that I can do it over and over.
About targets, why not quit trying to reinvent the wheel and go to WalMart and buy their $24.95 two target sided bag target and use it for firing field tips. It stops bolts fired from the Exocet, Exomag and the new Exomax. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
chris4570

Re: Broadhead vs field points

Post by chris4570 »

DyHard wrote:I'm currently shooting the stock carbon arrows with field point that came with my ExoMag.
My question is how much different is the flight path from FP to standard Wasps of the same weight.

Thanks DyHard
The only way, and the most ethical way, to know for sure is to shoot them. I would never rely on someone elses sighting in experience to be my guide for shooting at a game animal.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"