new moultrie game camera, a couple of ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GA.crossbowhunt

new moultrie game camera, a couple of ??

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

hi guys i finally got me the new one they have out here from bass pros the other day and they were on sale for 99.99 you saved 100.00 and you cant beat that price for anything digital. my question is for those of you that have them how did you secure yours to the tree? we really dont have a problem with trasspeers but you never know when they will walk off. so whats the best way to secure it to the tree?? thanks rob :D :D
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yep I noticed that also, nutten to really fasten/lock it to your tree :shock: ..I just got the Moultree digital game camera 100 fer 98.50 US. from Wally Mart. Going to set it up today but have to get a lock and piece of chain to secure it.... :D

At the cost of film and developing shoud pay fer it's self in a short time I think.... :roll: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ed martin

theft

Post by ed martin »

only thing i can sugest is to not put it out in the open. keep it in the woods on deer trails where your sure poeple aren't walking.if it's a rough walk to check your camera, the better. this is the only thing that helps me sleep at night as there is no true way to lock plastic to a tree. good luck :wink:
johnrios

Post by johnrios »

I suggest finding a way to secure it. I found out the hard way with a $200.00 DeerCam.

I would have given someone a prize if they could have found it in the deep woods where I had it ... yet someone did :(

At first I thought I had lost my head then it set in ... I was too lazy to find a way to secure it. Left me pissed but with more wisdom. Thieves are everywhere.

Happy scouting, with chains and locks :lol:
John Rios
Nashville, TN
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

PUT THEM HIGH, OUT OF REACH,DONT MAKE IT EASY,IF IT IS HARD FOR YOU TO GET TO IT WILL BE HARD FOR THEM.
boogap

Post by boogap »

I just used bungies, but it's in a pretty secure area. I've seen pictures of one (a moultree) where the guy fastened it to a peice of plywood, then screwed the plywood to the tree. It won't stop a theif with tools, but will make the "casual" theif think twice....
Another guy told me he posted an "official looking" sign above it stating it was government property and had tracking devices in it :lol:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

GaryL wrote:Yep I noticed that also, nutten to really fasten/lock it to your tree :shock: ..I just got the Moultree digital game camera 100 fer 98.50 US. from Wally Mart. Going to set it up today but have to get a lock and piece of chain to secure it.... :D

At the cost of film and developing shoud pay fer it's self in a short time I think.... :roll: :wink:
Not happy with this trail cam so far :twisted: missed three deer this morning and one this afternoon. Field of view and sensor not as good as my cheap stealth 35MM trail cam, or I am way off base at setting it up proper.

Was doing the testing out back of my place and seen the deer walk in. I reset it as I figured I might have had it too high, However when it failed to get the one this afternoon I figure something is wrong with the cam. Am going to see what happens over night then if not happy will take it back. This is the one Wal-Mart is selling at 98.50 US.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ger34

securing game cam to tree etc

Post by ger34 »

how about some 1/4" aircraft cable with loop on both ends that you can use a good padlock in?
terry-1

cam

Post by terry-1 »

I bought one of the first moultrie cams for $169 at walmart. I use a master lock python cable lock through the a pad lock on the box nothing great but at least they would have to break the cam or cut the cable to steal it. I also got a second moultrie cam the $99 at walmart a few weeks back the flash is alot better than my first moultrie model,but the camera overall is not as good. Sensor seems to be alot less powerfull and I have seen game standing in front of it and it does not trigger? I think they gave up some quality when they dropped from $169 to $99.Also batteryt life is alot less on the new model I get up to 4 weeks and 800pics on the old model my new one goes dead in 2 weeks same battery and much less pictures?
mfh

securing the camera

Post by mfh »

You could also take a wire mesh - heavy guage chicken wire, wrap the unit in that, and then snake a cable through the mesh and around the tree. Cheap, and would keep the hinest honest...another option is to mount it high on a bracket - but that limits the field of view...buddy did that and when he would go grab the camera, he would take a section (3 ft) from his climbing steps to get him to the height.

Just a thought.
GaryL

Re: cam

Post by GaryL »

terry-1 wrote: in part only... I use a master lock python cable lock through the a pad lock on the box nothing great but at least they would have to break the cam or cut the cable to steal it. I also got a second moultrie cam the $99 at walmart a few weeks back the flash is alot better than my first moultrie model,but the camera overall is not as good. Sensor seems to be alot less powerfull and I have seen game standing in front of it and it does not trigger? I think they gave up some quality when they dropped from $169 to $99.Also batteryt life is alot less on the new model I get up to 4 weeks and 800pics on the old model my new one goes dead in 2 weeks same battery and much less pictures?
terry-1 mine seems to be working ok for the price....FOV could sure be better and as you stated Sensor lacks some power....I just ordered a 6VT battery and charger for mine from Moultrie see how well it works.... :D I purchased a cable and lock like yours better then nutten fer sure.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I also just bought a Moultrie Game Cam. I am going to make up a steel cage for it at work. Most likely I'll use 1/4"x3/4" flat bar. What I'll attempt to do is make the backing and sides cradle the camera. The front will be something of a mirror image of the back. Then I will have either two pins connecting them or one pin and a hinge. The chain will be welded onto one side, and have a ring on the other side in which to lock it to. I'll probably heat the cage with a torch and then quench it to give it just a little more strength.

I'll still use the supplied bungees to adjust the camera.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
tcthomas

Walmart Moultrie digital

Post by tcthomas »

I just bought one the $99 Moultrie digitals at WalMart and had it out for the first time last week. I guess I had the opposite experience of GaryL. I put it on the same tree, facing the same direction (a mineral lick) as a $59 Stealth Cam 35mm I had had there all summer and got very few decent pics even though the mineral lick was being actively used. In less than a weeks time with the Moultrie digital, I had 34 pictures, with 26 of them good ones of deer including my neighbours dog chasing a deer. The camera caught the deer in mid bound. Trigger time was better than I expected for this camera. Just my experience, but as GaryL said, for the money so far I'm happy.

Tim