How Big is to big?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Furor

How Big is to big?

Post by Furor »

What type of animal is too large to take ethically or effectively with a Xbow? Grizzly? Polar bear? Water buffalo? Where would you draw the line?
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

T-rex! :)
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think you could pretty much take anything... I don't think I'd be shooting any Elephants though....
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

With the proper arrow and broadhead shot from an ExoMag.......I don't think elephant would be out of the question......there have been quite a few elephants taken with vertical bows......no reason a crossbow couldn't do it as well.....I'd be happy to be the first if any of you wealthy guys have an extra $25,000 you want to "sponsor" me with!!! :D That's about the going rate for a trophy bull elephant hunt!!
Furor

Post by Furor »

I dont know what kind of power these bows have exactly when it comes to breaking or going through bones. On a large animal with big/heavy ribs (moose, etc), if the bolt hits a rib directly will it break the rib and go through or will the rib deflect the bolt so it goes between the ribs? I know I saw a picture of a broadhead embedded in an animals spine once, I suppose spinal bones are more substancial than ribs though. Does anyone with experience have any insight into this matter?
TYE

Post by TYE »

GonHuntin wrote:With the proper arrow and broadhead shot from an ExoMag.......I don't think elephant would be out of the question......there have been quite a few elephants taken with vertical bows......no reason a crossbow couldn't do it as well.....I'd be happy to be the first if any of you wealthy guys have an extra $25,000 you want to "sponsor" me with!!! :D That's about the going rate for a trophy bull elephant hunt!!
I'd have someone with an Elephant gun sitting right beside me then, lol.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

TYE wrote: I'd have someone with an Elephant gun sitting right beside me then, lol.
Tye

That's the way it ALWAYS works when hunting dangerous game in Africa! The Professional Hunter's number one job is keeping the client out of trouble! Even if the client is using a rifle, the PH is there to back him up and will fire his own rifle without hesitation if things even look like they are going wrong.

When my wife and I hunted Africa a few years ago, our PH carried a 458 win mag.....we weren't hunting dangerous game, but there were elephant, lion and leopard in the area we were hunting.......there is an old saying that is very true......."when in elephant country.....always carry an elephant rifle"!
Last edited by GonHuntin on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Speaking of hunting in Africa... a guy I know on another forum went there this year too!

http://www.realmoutfitters.com/forums/s ... d.php?t=14
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Furor wrote:I dont know what kind of power these bows have exactly when it comes to breaking or going through bones. On a large animal with big/heavy ribs (moose, etc), if the bolt hits a rib directly will it break the rib and go through or will the rib deflect the bolt so it goes between the ribs?
Oh yeah!... If you hit a moose square in the ribs (shot from a repectable distance) with a good bone busting broadhead and a good bolt you are definetely gonna bust right through the rib bones.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GREY OWL

Re: How Big is to big?

Post by GREY OWL »

Furor wrote:What type of animal is too large to take ethically or effectively with a Xbow? Grizzly? Polar bear? Water buffalo? Where would you draw the line?
Good luck drawing a tag for a grizzly, a Polar Bear I believe aren't a game animal anymore, and the Water Buffalo are a piece of cake. Water Buffalo's are quite docile animals, the Cape Buffalo, that's a different story. In 1989 I had the chance in Australia to shoot a Water Buffalo with a rifle, and they basically just stood there and watched me. There really not much bigger and meaner than my Uncle Fester's Charolais bull, that's been neglected and abused to wander the murky swamps of Saskatchewan.

Shot placement is everything, with any weapon, get through the hide and bones, and the broadhead will do damage to vital organs.

Grey Owl