deer ear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stump

deer ear

Post by stump »

Now that I've figured out this picture thing, here are a couple of shots from last weekend's scouting trip, as well as one of my eldest son sitting on my platform stand.
Is the discouloration on the doe a normal transition from summer to winter coat, or is a symtom of something else? Note the missing or deformed ear on one of the does.

LoneWolf

Re: deer ear

Post by LoneWolf »

stump wrote: Is the discouloration on the doe a normal transition from summer to winter coat, Note the missing or deformed ear on one of the does.
You got it, stump.

It's changing coats.

Dunno what to say about that doe's ear though!... :?
Ontario Trophy Bucks
DyHard

Post by DyHard »

I'm stumped :P on the ear!

Good looking stand location.

DyHard
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

We use to build platform stands like that but we got sore backs or had to bring a chair up. All our new stands the past couple of years have a built in seat and are super comfortable, we can sit for hours. Do you bring a chair up when your in the stand for a long time?

Partikle
DyHard

Post by DyHard »

We have 6 platform stands at various sites and always bring folding chairs up. we have installed padded height adjustable rails to keep one up top.

Only problem when moving about the chair is a little restrictive. I'm going to place one of my comfy ground tree seats in one this year to see what kind of difference that makes. (folds up easier)

DyHard
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

My guess, a close call with a coyote.

Several years ago, there was a young calf deer, sprawled out on the ice in front of our camper. Could get up because of the slippery surface. No sooner I got out of my truck, to walk around to help this youngster off the ice, a coyote came barreling onto the ice attacking it. Slipped a 180 grain Nosler Partition, 30-06, in the Browning, and let go from about 200 plus yards. The coyote was right up on top the deer, chewing away on his head and ears. The first shot was a warning shot to scare him off, (didn't want to accidentally hit the deer). When he was off the deer, with the deer's ear between his teeth, I let go another round. Nailed the sucker square in the chest, the ole' yote was deader than a door nail.

Later that morning I had a local cowboy come and lasso the deer off the thin ice. The deer was very wobbly walking up on land, and bleeding pretty good from his head and ears, but he was O.K.

Grey Owl
stump

Post by stump »

I always leave a folding chair in my platform stands. I put a small piece of plywood on the platform under my chair so I can move it a little without fear of one of the legs slipping through a crack. I use a safety harness with a prusic (spelling) knot in case I get a little careless. I also put a safety rail in behind the chair and try to place branches to cover the lower part of the stand, so I can move my feet without being seen. Now if I could find a way to stop snoring ...
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I'll try and take some pictures of our stands next time I'm out. We usually build them in the cedar trees so we have cover all season and only cut out branches where we're shooting. You can't seem them from the ground when they are empty and when someone is sitting in them you can only see them from their chest to their head and there are branches behind them so they are not silhouetted. We also build a seat between two of the trees to sit on so we don't get a sore back. We use lag bolts into the trees so there is no squeaking.

Partikle
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nice pic's.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
boogap

Post by boogap »

Grey Owl is right. As you can see from the pics below, coyotes often grab an ear to pull and hold a deer down. I was watching that doe for a while, she was big and healthy. Don't let anyone tell you yotes only go after the sick and weak! Snow wasn't deep either.