Worn out string serving?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

Worn out string serving?

Post by Boltshooter »

I've had my exomax for about three weeks, and have done a fair amount of shooting. A few days ago, the center serving on the string started to loosen up, and after a while it unwound. :? Upon inspection, I discovered that it was very worn--to the point where I could easily break it between two hands. It was mainly worn at the two points where the claw holds the string back. Is this normal for a crossbow string?
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Deergetter

Post by Deergetter »

Are you putting anything on your Rail? Plus Wax on you String?

Deergetter
BUCKSHOT

There is a cure!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I have a Vixen Deluxe and had the same problem!
Once you explained your problem I knew exactly what was happening!

What you need to do is to get the very finest emery cloth that you can find, and buff the heck out of all the contact sufrace areas between the claws and the string as well as all of the corners on the claws!

I did that to my bow after the first string failed in a short while, now I have had hundreds of shot and a great life span out of my string, since!

I would still expect that with your model selection, you will run into more trouble with strings and vibration e.t.c than most of the lighter models. I recommend that the more pre-hunt, pre-shoot checks and preventative maintenance you do the better!

Have a good day!
Enjoy the Harvest!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Also you may want to try one of bj's custom-served fff strings. They are a bit more expensive than the regular fff, but very well worth it. The servings on these strings are tough stuff and perfect for the high power crossbows.
Ontario Trophy Bucks