Okay this may sound wierd but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Okay this may sound wierd but...

Post by TYE »

...I have a question.

Can you hunt Porcupines? My dads buddy is a farmer and we bow hunt on his property. He is having a probley with a bunch of Porcupines and wants me to shoot them with my crossbow.

Also, can you eat the dumb things? My friend says he has tried Porcupine ones and said it was actually pretty good.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Well if you do eat them, at least they have built in tooth picks!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

TYE

The Arrow goes right trhough them so if you are shooting up into a tree you can kiss the arrow good-bye. Been there done that. I shoot them when ever I find them. Pin cushions are destructive and dangerous to dogs. Dead or alive they are hell on dogs. So when you shoot one you have a problem if you leave them on the forest floor to decompose as the dogs will get into them big time. The funny thing about a dog is that it does not learn from the experience of having its nose and mouth loaded with quills and will return again and again to the site. They just can not stay out of them. So take some baling twine with you. After you have shot one, tie a loop of twine around one of the ankels (about the only place you can access on their body without getting quills yourself). Throw the other end over a shout branch 4 - 5 feet off the ground. haul the porcupine up into the tree and tie the twine off to secure him there until nature has done its thing. No one knows how they taste as they would be too difficult to gut and skin. They are a rodent family so not that removed from beaver in physiology or diet. But hey, you can have my share.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

TYE

The Arrow goes right trhough them so if you are shooting up into a tree you can kiss the arrow good-bye. Been there done that. I shoot them when ever I find them. Pin cushions are destructive and dangerous to dogs. Dead or alive they are hell on dogs. So when you shoot one you have a problem if you leave them on the forest floor to decompose as the dogs will get into them big time. The funny thing about a dog is that it does not learn from the experience of having its nose and mouth loaded with quills and will return again and again to the site. They just can not stay out of them. So take some baling twine with you. After you have shot one, tie a loop of twine around one of the ankels (about the only place you can access on their body without getting quills yourself). Throw the other end over a shout branch 4 - 5 feet off the ground. haul the porcupine up into the tree and tie the twine off to secure him there until nature has done its thing. No one knows how they taste as they would be too difficult to gut and skin. They are a rodent family so not that removed from beaver in physiology or diet. But hey, you can have my share.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

They aren't legal to shoot in Quebec... I don't know about Ontario. They are considered edible. To my knowledge, their stomach area is accessible and has no quills . It's one of the few animals that you can kill with only a stick should you ever be lost and in a desperate state. However, getting one of those quills stuck in you will leave you in a very painfull situation because their quills are like sharp, multi-barbed fishing hooks and come off their hide easily but will stay anchored in your own skin when you try to yank them out! :shock:

I suppose eating one is up to you; just like some people eat beaver, ground hogs, crows, and squirrels. (I have tried squirrels once...it's edible.) As mentionned above, eating a rodent, or even a scavenger like a crow, leaves much to be desired for my palate. :x
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Shoot a whole bunch, then you can have a coat made up for one of those girls after you . just dont try to rub her back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Brampton Mike wrote::lol: :lol: Well if you do eat them, at least they have built in tooth picks!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

GREYWOLF wrote::D Shoot a whole bunch, then you can have a coat made up for one of those girls after you . just dont try to rub her back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Okay, well the farmer want's me to shoot them if I see them. Can you get stuck with quils even if the porcy is dead?
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Of course. His quills don't vanish when he's dead!
Pete

ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I've actually eaten a few of the spiney buggers. We had a lot of them around our hunt camp in N.S. The can strip the bark of a pine in no time flat. Thats why they taste a little like pine needles :x . We would cut all the fat off them (lots like a bear) and boil them three times (changing the water each time), then use em in a stew. If you try to gut one just hang it upside down with it's feet apart and start at the back feet and skin your way down. Keep the skin turned inside out and go slow if you don't want to get stuck :x .

Despite what some people will tell you they can't "shoot" their quills. I have seen a treed one shake it's tail and drop some quills. Best way is to get em in a tree then give it a 12 guage round to the head. That way you won't loose an arrow or spoil the meat.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

I believe porcupine meat can be eaten raw. Not that anyone would necessarily want to, but in a survival situation. bon apetite! :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think I'll just shoot them and leave them... sounds too complicated.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Woodsman wrote:I suppose eating one is up to you; just like some people eat beaver, :x
:P :P :P :D
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

...bad boy! :lol:
Pete