How long can you keep the bow cocked?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mgoldschmidt

How long can you keep the bow cocked?

Post by mgoldschmidt »

My horton makes a racket during cocking. I dont want to keep tension on the cross bow string for long, so I like to draw when fire is soon - although, I have heard of some hunters keeping the string cocked for hours - what do you all suggest?
GaryL

Re: How long can you keep the bow cocked?

Post by GaryL »

mgoldschmidt wrote:My horton makes a racket during cocking. I dont want to keep tension on the cross bow string for long, so I like to draw when fire is soon - although, I have heard of some hunters keeping the string cocked for hours - what do you all suggest?
First I would see why/what the racket is. I load my Excalibur at the blind/stand and it might be cocked for 4 hours or so.... :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

I cock my Excalibur at my spot too... and keep it cocked till I move.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I was out yesterday hunting and I had mine cocked for 6 hours, no problem. :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
mgoldschmidt

Post by mgoldschmidt »

well, racket - just a noise - nothing unusual

Dont you guys think that the tension might adjust your accuracy - change the lb. due to the continuous tension? I know it lets off - but there is still tenion and pressure - have you seen a need to re-site after a long sit in cocked position?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

nope not for me at 10 -39 yards.... :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

My buddy left his Horton cocked for about 8 hours yesterday. When he shot at a target to unload it was right on. I usually don't leave it cocked any longer than necessary, but I don't think it will hurt anything as long as it doesn't get too hot. I wouldn't want to cock it and let it set in direct sunlight for too long this kind of weather.
wabi
ch312

Post by ch312 »

had my exomax cocked for about 5 hours yesterday before nailing a squirel exactly where i was aiming about 25 yards away so i guess it doesnt effect excaliburs :D

i wonder if keeping them cocked for 5 hours in -15 weather will effect them? or is it just heat ya need to worry about?
striper

Post by striper »

As long as I am in the tree. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

My first post on this forum adressed this topic. I got a reply from someone who said he had done some testing with a chronograph, using two excal bows left cocked for 4 hours. One bow only lost 4 fps after four hours cocked, the other bow actually gained 1 fps! While I can't explain the bow gaining velocity, it seems apparent that velocity loss is negligable. :D
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

I cock mine at the house, leave the bolt out and then head to the field. It stays cocked until I get down out of my tree, so I don't think it affects accuracy at all... then again it is an EXCALIBUR... :lol:
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.