Scent -Hunting Clothes - Underwear and out and up from there

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Scent -Hunting Clothes - Underwear and out and up from there

Post by John Wade »

Would anyone that isn't hunting in the buff let me know scent control is working best. I want to after I hand wash/rinse, outdoor dry in descenting detergent start storing my stuff in a bin filled with leaves, cornstalks, soya bean plants, maybe a little dirt and some of the wild apples. Good idea or bad.
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Doesn't sound to bad at all. I like to take and cut small pine tree limbs off and put them in my large bag with my hunting clothes. Seems to work pretty good.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've never done that with any of my clothes. I think it's kind of superstitionish, but then again I've never tried it. Maybe I will do that with my new stuff I'm buying this year.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

My 2cents worth after 40some years deer hunting do or wear anything
they will smell you if downwind, watch the wind.
The old man from the mountain
TYE

Post by TYE »

Tar Heel wrote:My 2cents worth after 40some years deer hunting do or wear anything
they will smell you if downwind, watch the wind.
That's how I have always thought about it.

My blaze orange clothing for rifle season smells like a wood stove, cuz we use a trailer with a wood stove to dry our clothes. I still have had deer about 15-20 yards right infront of me.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I keep my clothes in the garage away from dog smells of the basement in a cardboard box with walnut shells and some apple halfs.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

A good dog can track the scent of ONE PARTICULAR human across a parking lot that is filled with the scent of other humans, gas, oil, diesel, plastic, and all manner of other scents. A deer has a sense of smell just as good.

So, if you like the smell of apple, pine or other scents, use them. Just use something that YOU like, because that is the only animal that can be fooled.

The deer will smell human with apple, or human with pine, human with acorn, or human with whatever. That is, if you are upwind of the deer!!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Got to agree with the fact that if your downwind of a deer your busted. Doesn't matter what cover scent is. Stay upwind !!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

tkstae wrote:Got to agree with the fact that if your downwind of a deer your busted. Doesn't matter what cover scent is. Stay upwind !!!
"DITTO" fer sure.... :)
boogap

Post by boogap »

Just think of all the deer that come close turkey hunting while smothered in bug juice....

Course scent free helps a lot on still days....
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

boogap wrote:.............

Course scent free helps a lot on still days....
With respect, "scent free" is impossible. A human ALWAYS gives off detectable "human" scent. It may be blended with insect repellant, or shaving lotion, or apple, or pine, or whatever. It will, however, be there.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
boogap

Post by boogap »

"scent free" is impossible
I meant "scent-free" as in the type of gear, you know-carbon, scent loc, no trace, scent a way, scentban, etc etc etc. Kinda like how I call my kids mp3 player his walkman :)
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Wash in "sport wash" keep in vacuum type space bags you can get at wal mart for about 8$ for two. When hunting store in these huge ziplock bags just don't vacuum out the air until the end of season.

I love how I see guys get out of thier car/trucks in scenblocker suits and fill it up, get a coffee and head back to the truck all the while in thier hunting boots.

Heading afield with them is about pointless, unless you like nature that much:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Agreed. Scent covers or elimimnators may reduce your "stink", but if the deer gets downwind of you it's all over.[/code]
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I like putting scent on my boots before I walk up to my spot. Basic doe scent and also fox scent. The theory is the deer may smell me or other unnatural smells, but will feel more confident(even curious) that a deer and even a fox have followed my route. Now does it actually work?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.